Player Discussion Darnell Nurse - To bridge or not to bridge, that is the question.

What do you do with Nurse's contract?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Bridging Dumba was a mistake. He's now worth honestly $6+ million, they could've had him easy at 4 per. That's the risk you run.

To me it's not worth saving $1-$2 million for 2 years and getting dinged for the next 5-6-7 years.
Less than 20 D in the league makes $6+M, and even though Dumba has a case against one or two if them there are reasons (sometimes stupid) for why they got paid that much. Even if he'd get 6M×6y though that'd still make an average of about 5M for the bridge + 6y contract which isn't bad.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
I'd rather just trade Strome for futures and have a cap cushion from that. Our wing position is what it is, it's gonna be problematic for a while probably.

We gotta hope Yamamoto can step in and play next year.

Well, that would be one way to get worse next year. Trade Strome for cap space just to pay Nurse now when we don't need to? Say what you will about Strome, but once he settled into that 3C and PK role he was decent and still top 90 in points amongst centers this year.

Reactions: nabob

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Well, that would be one way to get worse next year. Trade Strome for cap space just to pay Nurse now when we don't need to? Say what you will about Strome, but once he settled into that 3C and PK role he was decent and still top 90 in points amongst centers this year.

No, more like maybe if Mike Green is available at 6 per, maybe you go after him and to do that dumping Strome is acceptable.

But other than that I don't see too many options on D available (unless it's some kind of blockbuster trade).

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
No, more like maybe if Mike Green is available at 6 per, maybe you go after him and to do that dumping Strome is acceptable.

But other than that I don't see too many options on D available (unless it's some kind of blockbuster trade).

So dump Strome to sign Green, sign Nurse at 4-4.5 per right now and run with this defense and paper thin forward group?

Nurse Larsson (8.5)
Sekera Green (11.5)
Klefbom Russell (8)

That's almost 30 mil on a defense that isn't even top 10 in the league.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
I'm still a big fan and he's got a lot of great tools that make him a very good player. He's an elite skater and excellent at controlled zone entries but I'm not sure if he'll end up being anything more than a solid #3. Obviously that's still pretty great but I'd be careful giving him more than 4.5mil long term.

That's why a bridge is probably best. After a two or three-year bridge I suspect it will be much more clear what Nurse will become long-term.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
That's why a bridge is probably best. After a two or three-year bridge I suspect it will be much more clear what Nurse will become long-term.

Yup, this is a no-brainer decision. This, of course, means that if Chia is still somehow, baffingly so, employed as GM, that he will give Nurse a 7 year deal. Cause Chia is an idiot of the highest degree (just in case you are wondering).

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
Yup, this is a no-brainer decision. This, of course, means that if Chia is still somehow, baffingly so, employed as GM, that he will give Nurse a 7 year deal. Cause Chia is an idiot of the highest degree (just in case you are wondering).

Not even max term of 8 years? Seems like there is some room left on the idiot-meter.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
We're already paying Kris Russell $4 million a year, what are the odds that Darnell Nurse is not a $4 mill-ish D-Man long term?

If he's willing to accept $4.5 mill x 7 years now, IMO the Oilers would be stupid to turn that down. That will be a cap saving contract 3-4 years down the line when the cap is at $85+ million.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Why would Nurse be paid less than Klefbom? I'm not getting that. Nurse is a better D this season than Klef has ever been and Klefbom got his contract before last season.

Nurse is stronger, better puck handler, more confident, better in any skill attribute than Klefbom. Klef was virtually gifted that contract.

Nurse should take a Million less? Why?

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
So dump Strome to sign Green, sign Nurse at 4-4.5 per right now and run with this defense and paper thin forward group?

Nurse Larsson (8.5)
Sekera Green (11.5)
Klefbom Russell (8)

That's almost 30 mil on a defense that isn't even top 10 in the league.

It is what it is at this point. It's a crap situation, but at the end of the day, who would benefit this team more Green or Strome?

That said I think it's likely Green just signs elsewhere anyway.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Why would Nurse be paid less than Klefbom? I'm not getting that. Nurse is a better D this season than Klef has ever been and Klefbom got his contract before last season.

Nurse is stronger, better puck handler, more confident, better in any skill attribute than Klefbom. Klef was virtually gifted that contract.

Nurse should take a Million less? Why?
Who cares about Klefbom? He lived up to his contract last season and then some.

Should Nurse be paid more than Josi or Carlsson?

Without the context it is the same kind of question.

Right now you look at Nurse and what you think he will become. If you believe he is a long term solution for EDM you pay up and I hope that will be in the range of Savard, Larsson, Gostisbehere, Klingberg, Fowler etc. The issue IMO is that if he remains a Larsson type D, then even though that is sorely needed on any team he won't be going up in price very much. You'd probably get him for the same caphit in a coupleof years as now.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
Who cares about Klefbom? He lived up to his contract last season and then some.

Should Nurse be paid more than Josi or Carlsson?

Without the context it is the same kind of question.

Right now you look at Nurse and what you think he will become. If you believe he is a long term solution for EDM you pay up and I hope that will be in the range of Savard, Larsson, Gostisbehere, Klingberg, Fowler etc. The issue IMO is that if he remains a Larsson type D, then even though that is sorely needed on any team he won't be going up in price very much. You'd probably get him for the same caphit in a coupleof years as now.

That's my reasoning. Especially if we can use the money saved to upgrade the right side of the defense and bring in an offensive guy. Nurse will see very little PP time and even with exceptional 5vs5 production will remain a 25-30 point defenseman for the duration of the bridge deal. He will cost around 500-750k more per year compared to right now, but the thing is we need to be competitive next year and the cap space is desperately needed. In a year or two Russell/Sekera are movable and that makes a bridge deal for Nurse even more appealing.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Long term deal all the way.

He just finished a breakout season. He's more proven today than what Klefbom was before he signed his deal.

The cap is rising and we need all the savings we can get to stay competitive. Nurse is as safe a bet as you can get. He's the real deal.

Reactions: PGW and Drivesaitl

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
If Nurse is willing to sign at $4.5 or $4.75 x 7 years now and the Oilers bridge him at $3 per to go "hunting" for overpriced UFAs as a desperation move now ... that would be such an Oilers thing to do.

Reactions: PGW

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
That's my reasoning. Especially if we can use the money saved to upgrade the right side of the defense and bring in an offensive guy. Nurse will see very little PP time and even with exceptional 5vs5 production will remain a 25-30 point defenseman for the duration of the bridge deal. He will cost around 500-750k more per year compared to right now, but the thing is we need to be competitive next year and the cap space is desperately needed. In a year or two Russell/Sekera are movable and that makes a bridge deal for Nurse even more appealing.
I agree, although if Nurse can be had a around $4M I'd still go for long term. Above $4.5M I'd say no and start working on a bridge.

I'd like to see something like
Nurse(4.2)-Larsson(4.1)
Klefbom(4.1)- RD (5)
Sekera(5.5)-Russell(4)
Benning/Bear

That's 25-30 M on D, which is too much tbh with respect to the quality of that D core. But honestly I'd rather not trade away neither Klefbom nor Nurse, and Sekera/Russell are basically stuck here as I understand it, so it would be the best solution in a shitty situstion.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I agree, although if Nurse can be had a around $4M I'd still go for long term. Above $4.5M I'd say no and start working on a bridge.

I'd like to see something like
Nurse(4.2)-Larsson(4.1)
Klefbom(4.1)- RD (5)
Sekera(5.5)-Russell(4)
Benning/Bear

That's 25-30 M on D, which is too much tbh with respect to the quality of that D core. But honestly I'd rather not trade away neither Klefbom nor Nurse, and Sekera/Russell are basically stuck here as I understand it, so it would be the best solution in a ****ty situstion.
I don't see how bridging Nurse helps the total D spending. It makes it worse actually, because once Nurse's bridge deal ends, he would get a raise, and Sekera and Russell would still be here.

Sometimes teams do bridge deals just because of the cap, but that's considered a long term sacrifice for short term gain. If we MUST make those savings now then that sucks, because it would hurt us later, but if we have to, we have to. But, there are long term gains for us if we do the long term deal now.

I think the only reason we should do a bridge deal on Nurse is if we don't think he will be worth that 4-4.5 AAV.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
They should of given him Klefbom and Larsson contract 4.167 last summer which I suggested , you could tell he was going to break out this year .

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
If you bridge him I could see something like

3 mill x 2 years

But then if he plays well, he's gonna want $5-$6 million after that and you have to consider cap inflation is likely to happen.

To me you're better off just signing him now $4.5 x 7 years if you can get it.

Even if his play dropped off some down the stretch, he was still better than Klefbom and Larsson and Russell this year, what are really the odds that you're not going to end up paying him $4+ mill anyway?

This is a very good point. Yes, he's not going to have the big offensive numbers to justify a big raise should they bridge him for 2-3 years but taking potential cap inflation into account and assuming that Nurse, at the very least, doesn't regress you're looking at what was a $4.5M player now being worth somewhere in the neighborhood of $5.5-6M if the cap rises another 10M or so in 2-3 years. Plus we have no idea what the new CBA will look like so there is some risk in waiting.

Personally, I'd say he's pretty much a lock to be a solid 2nd pairing shutdown Dman at minimum so might as well just lock him up and have one less thing to worry about going forward. How much are we saving on a bridge deal anyway? 1-1.5M?
His slight drop off in play should actually help the Oilers get him locked in at a reasonable number, perhaps the Pesce contract, so just get it done.

Last edited:
Reactions: EDMOILERS9729

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Unless Nurse breaks out offensively there is not much risk that a bridge blows up on you. A long term deal today might cost $4.5M. IN three years you are probably looking at $5-6M. A bridge is likely in the $3-3.5M range. Normally I think the long term deal is the way to go but the Oilers current salary structure makes a bridge much more attractive. That extra $1-1.5M over the next two to three years is significant.

Reactions: Cypress
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad