Player Discussion: Daniil Tarasov: Goalie of the Future?

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
I am disappointed we are having this discussion.
  • I am usually one of the first to give up on a prospect whether it was Stenlund who I was right about or Bemmer who I think I am right about or Foudy who might still prove me wrong. But there is no way I am ready to give up on a 23 year old goalie who has shown some flashes that he could be a good NHL goalie.
  • People griping about how we gave up too soon on JAM, Karlsson, DuClaire, etc but see no problem giving up on a young goalie who shouldn't have even played in the NHL last season because he wasn't ready.
  • We spent this entire season bitching about how dreadful our defense was and how we left our goalies out on an island way too many times but don't have an issue with suggesting a young goalie won't cut it in the NHL based on his showing behind this pourous defense.

The way for Tarasov to develop into the goalie we hope he will become is to play in the AHL and get a steady diet of games. Backing up Elvis and playing the better opponent in a back to back games because we are afraid to lose him is not going to make Tarasov an NHL goalie. Making him the starter behind a revamped defense running a new system at the start of the season is not going to make Tarasov an NHL goalie. I see the choice more as sending him to Cleveland to let him develop or keeping him in Columbus and likely ruining his development.

Is there a chance he is claimed if we put him on waivers? Yes, but I think it is pretty low. Other teams will realize we are waiving him because we think he needs to develop in the AHL. We are are a team with a bad goals against average and a reputation of rushing prospects. Other teams will recognize that and think twice before claiming him.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
The way for Tarasov to develop into the goalie we hope he will become is to play in the AHL and get a steady diet of games. Backing up Elvis and playing the better opponent in a back to back games because we are afraid to lose him is not going to make Tarasov an NHL goalie. Making him the starter behind a revamped defense running a new system at the start of the season is not going to make Tarasov an NHL goalie. I see the choice more as sending him to Cleveland to let him develop or keeping him in Columbus and likely ruining his development.

Is there a chance he is claimed if we put him on waivers? Yes, but I think it is pretty low. Other teams will realize we are waiving him because we think he needs to develop in the AHL. We are are a team with a bad goals against average and a reputation of rushing prospects. Other teams will recognize that and think twice before claiming him.

I'd send him down and get a better goalie but I'm not sure there's that much at stake in terms of development. Tarasov might be exhausted playing more than 35 games at either level. A lot of goalies never top that, it's pretty close to Korpisalo's career high. Teams sometimes go through 3-5 goalies in a year because injuries and bad play is so common, with no goalie topping 30 gp. I guess what I'm getting at is you train a guy to be able to handle playing in a tandem and if he's really good then you can worry about training him to be able to handle a starters workload after that.

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
Yeah....Isn't it about that time....
2017 #12
2018 #11
2019 #5
2020 #6
2021 #7
2022 #6
2023 ???

Safe bet this will be the lowest he has ranked since being drafted...if he is rank eligible which he should be.

Last edited:

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
Is this sort of like Dippin Dots being the "ice cream of the future" for the past 50 years?!?
I for one am indeed happy that good quality ice cream is the foreseeable future of ice cream. I might wax "poetic" about all them grainy milk replacements so let's not start me. (No offense intended to the lactose intolerant that we traditionally call "pierutautinen" or fart-illnessed.) I feel I have a true soul brother on the other end there. Or is it not? :)

Oldskool I scream FTW!

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
How ridiculous is it that with a sv % that high and he's still only .500.

That sv% won't last forever so they'd better focus hard on fixing the other issues. Hellebuyck is only .919 and Demko is .917 for the season.

Reactions: EspenK

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
How ridiculous is it that with a sv % that high and he's still only .500.

That sv% won't last forever so they'd better focus hard on fixing the other issues. Hellebuyck is only .919 and Demko is .917 for the season.
I imagine by opening night next season this team around him will look a bit different.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad