Prospect Info: Daniel Sprong (Right wing | Charlottetown (QMJHL) | 2nd round, 46th overall)

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
There is no need to rush Sprong, we know he is offensively gifted. Now back to the juniors after camp to work his 2 way game, defensive zone coverage and to limit his ice time ( shifts too long )

Son Goku

henlo u stinky egg
Mar 8, 2014
The World Of Void
yeah it's such a complex idea, how could anyone understand it

bennett is a much worse player on the 4th line, it goes against his strengths. i would rather play him lw in the top six/3rd line that rw on the 4th

stop talking about malkin

Honestly I think it's getting to the point where we should play Bennett for awhile and trade him. There's no room for him anymore and I don't think there ever will be.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Honestly I think it's getting to the point where we should play Bennett for awhile and trade him. There's no room for him anymore and I don't think there ever will be.

Definitely not on the right side in the top 6. Arguably not on the left side either. Maybe he can round out into a skilled 3rd line RW, but we already have an abundance of bottom 6 guys that check and PK better than he does, both on the current roster like Dupuis and Fehr and coming up through the system like Sundqvist and Wilson.

I could go either way on Bennett. But he needs to play in the top 9 to either boost his trade value or to simply maximize his abilities. Both will be wasted if he's on the 4th line.

Fordy

May 28, 2008

maybe we should wait until the season starts

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
Bennett imo will be a top 6 right winger if given a shot and some injury luck. Unfortunately we already have two of those. He needs to adapt to the left wing to get a top 6 spot here. He could dominate a 3rd line role this year, but it would be a waste for him to stay there long term. For his career, a hockey trade after he's shown his ability on the 3rd would be best.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
It's definitely a make or break for Bennett. I love when he plays, and I think he brings a unique ability to really dish from the wing while also playing a decent 2 way game, but the injuries are becoming too much. If we could find a deal to flip him for a strong physical defenseman of similar age, pedigree, that also has some warts, I'd do that.

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
Nice. He'll probably be guilty of trying to do too much on more than one occasion tonight, especially given his expected ice-time, but honestly, first NHL game, who cares.

robopigeon

Dec 9, 2013

This is what I don't get: You can't teach drive. From everything I've read about him, this kid is determined to make it. Even if he had limited skill, that drive alone would be valuable -- it's what Dupuis has made a career off of. Compare this with Ho-Sang -- also an "interview problem" -- but who also showed up late for camp and got sent home.

Sprong's drive, coupled with his top 10 in the draft skill, how the hell did he drop so far?

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
This is what I don't get: You can't teach drive. From everything I've read about him, this kid is determined to make it. Even if he had limited skill, that drive alone would be valuable -- it's what Dupuis has made a career off of. Compare this with Ho-Sang -- also an "interview problem" -- but who also showed up late for camp and got sent home.

Sprong's drive, coupled with his top 10 in the draft skill, how the hell did he drop so far?

Because some teams care more about the personality of a player more than the talent level of a player. Sprong's drive could be viewed as selfishness, which is a big red flag to some people.

ILikeTurtles

Sep 2, 2010
Because some teams care more about the personality of a player more than the talent level of a player. Sprong's drive could be viewed as selfishness, which is a big red flag to some people.

We all know the Pens are guilty of this as well, but luckily not in the case of Sprong.

djt153

Dec 26, 2003
saad at 43 gives me hope that nhl evaluators really are that dumb in how they judge talent

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC

Who cares, Pens got a top 10 talent and had no 1st round pick to draft him.:) He's going to be a star one day probably.

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
Considering how bad Dallas is defensively I could see Sprong scoring today. The Sprong hype will be unreal if that happens.

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
He should absolutely be selfish playing with 4th liners. Shoot from everywhere, let Cullen and Farnham pick up the garbage.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
With guys like this it can be the snowball effect... teams see potential red flags, but minor ones... his skill level is high enough to warrant a high pick , the team with the high pick he deserves passes on him because they are more worried about the sure pick that will get them the least criticized than the best thing long term for the team.

A top 5 pick or even a top 10 really cant have any potential issues that will make the team have to part ways with him early.

once one team passes on him, the next may be more likely to worry about that red flag, however minor. After a few teams pass on him the lower ones are certain to become worried that everyone else knows something they do not....

this can be something silly like not taking an interview seriously or coming across as a jerk. It may be something totally non ice related like signability issues, it could be something major like injury concerns or a known off field problem...

in any case a lot of times teams that gamble on them get a steal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad