Prospect Info: Daniel Sprong (Right wing | Charlottetown (QMJHL) | 2nd round, 46th overall)

shureshot66

Aug 2, 2005
CIg8s55WsAA6Up6.png

2014-15: Sprong and fellow 17-year-old forward Filip Chlapik were the top two scorers for Charlottetown as the Islanders finished second in the Maritimes Division and reached the second round in the playoffs. Sprong scored 39 goals with 49 assists (both tops on the team) in 68 games and was -23 with 18 penalty minutes. He led the Islanders with 7 goals and 4 assists and was -6 with 6 penalty minutes in 10 playoff games. Sprong skated for Team Cherry in the 2015 CHL/NHL Top Prospects game and was ranked 20th amongst North American skaters in the Central Scouting final rankings prior to the 2015 NHL Draft.

"A prolific scoring winger who possesses an elite-level skillset: has dynamic skating ability, is a creative passer, and has incredible puckhandling ability. While he is offensively dominant, he is also defensively responsible. A very hard working player who strives to improve all aspects of his game. Absolutely electric."

www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=231299

“A strong offensive player…he’s quick and extremely involved in every play…an explosive player who can create chances out of nothing…strong skater and very slick hands…a wicked shot and can snipe top shelf…not easily pushed around, but still does need to add strength to truly dominate…he’s adaptable and able to find ways to make an impact in every game…defense needs to come along and he isn’t very physical, but his offensive skill set will make him a game breaker at the pro level…at times, he shows some real initiative in his own zone though, blocking shots and breaking up plays…works his butt off both on and off the ice to improve his game. (December 2014)”

http://futureconsiderations.ca/playerprofiler/Daniel-Sprong/

“Sprong has great speed off the wing, and a bullet wrister with a deadly release. He is dangerous every time he touches the puck, and loves to shoot. Sprong has outstanding acceleration and his ability to change speeds while carrying the puck can help him to blow past a flat-footed defender. He also has very good agility, and can slip by a a defender with quick cuts. Add to this some great stick handling ability, and you have a player who can be a threat to go coast to coast at any time. Don’t get the wrong impression though, Sprong also has excellent passing ability and can play the role of playmaker if a linemate has an opportunity. He must get stronger and be better at taking a hit going forward. This is specifically true of his lower body, where some more muscle would help him be more powerful and better balanced to be stronger on the puck. He is already good positionally and shows effort in the defensive end of the ice.“

http://lastwordonsports.com/2015/02/17/2015-nhl-draft-february-rankings-21-25/

CIhJcIWWcAAT3K3.jpg

Last edited:

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Was wondering when this would go up.

It's never wrong to Sprong. ™

What timeline are we looking at realistically? Another year of Junior for sure. But he seems like the type of kid that if he fills out just a little more and rounds out his game a little more in the AHL (call it "maturing his game to be less self-focused"), that he might be ready for the big show sooner rather than later. He won't be undersized or lack the speed or skill, seems like just a quesiton of him calming down a little and understanding his role and limitations within a pro system.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
http://www.nhl.com/ice/m_news.htm?id=744857

native of the Netherlands, Sprong's family moved to Montreal when he was seven so he would have a better opportunity at a hockey career. He flourished at every level in minor hockey, and was rewarded in 2013 when he was taken in the first round (13th overall) in the Quebec League draft by the Islanders.

EVGENIMERLIN

Jun 29, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Excited about him and KK. He seems to have a chip on his shoulder about falling in the draft so I hope he becomes one of "How did he fall????" Stories

WVP

Mar 22, 2004
Excited about him and KK. He seems to have a chip on his shoulder about falling in the draft so I hope he becomes one of "How did he fall????" Stories

Yeah, definitely 2 guys there with some high upside and great offensive skill. Hopefully at least one pans out.

crosby is the sauce

Mar 24, 2010
Richmond, VA
I like the pick, good to see he was rated rather high to go in the 1st round. anyone have any idea why he dropped?

Although I am a little disappointed hes not a bit taller for being Dutch.

member 51464

It seems we are moving past our German acquisition phase. Time to dust off the Dutch books.

Penguinator

Kesselator
Sep 17, 2014
Space
Darth pretty much said it already & he's right on as far as the kid playing sooner than later with the big guys. He just need to beef up to the task & round up his game against pros. I like this pick, like a lot.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I'm actually very happy with this pick. Sprong was a guy I hoped would still be available when the Pens picked after I saw he didn't go in Round 1.

Super skilled guy. Just needs to work on the stuff that doesn't have to do with the puck on his stick.

DangleSprong

DekesFromAmsterdam
Oct 24, 2013
PEI

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad