Prospect Info: Daniel Sprong (Right wing | Charlottetown (QMJHL) | 2nd round, 46th overall)

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Hard to say what he turns out to be but he's a very driven kid and i like his build, skating, and his shot.

I can easily see him working more physicality in his game because of his build/skating stride and how driven he is.

Much like Letang who wasn't a very physical junior but with his build and skating stride and committment to training, he added that into his game.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Hard to say what he turns out to be but he's a very driven kid and i like his build, skating, and his shot.

I can easily see him working more physicality in his game because of his build/skating stride and how driven he is.

Much like Letang who wasn't a very physical junior but with his build and skating stride and committment to training, he added that into his game.

I hope not, because like Letang, if he tries to play physical he will get destroyed and be out injured 35 games a season.

I am in the camp that believes he needs a lot of polishing before he is ready (one year junior, one full year AHL), then give him a hard look the following years camp.

StroShow

Dec 22, 2013
Vancouver
Plenty of him for him to develop, with Kessel and Hornqvist locked in as the top 2 RW for the foreseeable future. He will play 2 more seasons in the Q , and then 1 or 2 in the AHL. No need at all to rush him , lets develop this one properly.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Plenty of him for him to develop, with Kessel and Hornqvist locked in as the top 2 RW for the foreseeable future. He will play 2 more seasons in the Q , and then 1 or 2 in the AHL. No need at all to rush him , lets develop this one properly.

So, we're not developing Olli Maatta and Derrick Pouliot properly?

I say create a roster spot for him when he looks ready. Entry-level players are invaluable for this franchise. To over-ripen a prospect in order to 'develop them properly' is part of a utopic NHL world that doesn't exist anymore.

There is now a ton of incentive to create as much roster room for young talent as possible.

PensBandwagonerNo272*

Forgot About Sid
Sep 10, 2012
I think Sprong has the potential be as impactful an NHLer as Maatta and Pouliot but I agree it will probably take a year of AHL hockey to get him ready to bring his game to the NHL. Need to learn how to make space with bigger more talented defenders on the ice. That won't happen this year in the Q.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
So, we're not developing Olli Maatta and Derrick Pouliot properly?

I say create a roster spot for him when he looks ready. Entry-level players are invaluable for this franchise. To over-ripen a prospect in order to 'develop them properly' is part of a utopic NHL world that doesn't exist anymore.

There is now a ton of incentive to create as much roster room for young talent as possible.

Kessel
Hornqvist
Fehr
Bennett

Which one of those 4 are we going to move to fit in Sprong? I'm also not only talking about this year, Hornqvist, Kessel and Fehr are all signed for at least 3 years.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Maatta and Pouliot are much different cases than Sprong.

Maatta plays a very mature, complete game. One that easily translates to the NHL. He doesn't get by on his talent or raw skating ability... he is very cerebral.

Pouliot is an 8th overall. His pedigree is a bit higher than Sprong's. I realize draft position isn't everything... but these guys are being picked where they are generally for a reason. He also spent what... two seasons post draft year in junior and a good chunk of time in WB/S? And despite the rhetoric... I think he's hardly a shoo-in for this season at the NHL level. So... I wouldn't say he has fast-tracked his way to the top.

Don't get me wrong... I was very happy to see them get a highly-skilled forward where they got him in the draft. But his game needs plenty of work, the Penguins' forward depth is the best it's been in years and honestly Sprong himself hasn't even come close to making the team's decision difficult. If he were clearly a big cut above the rest (even just on offense) in every preseason game , camp or rookie tourny situation... maybe it would be a bit different. But he simply isn't and I see no good reason to fast-track him.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Kessel
Hornqvist
Fehr
Bennett

Which one of those 4 are we going to move to fit in Sprong? I'm also not only talking about this year, Hornqvist, Kessel and Fehr are all signed for at least 3 years.

Fehr can play center, he can play left wing. Bennett can play left wing.

That's the wrong attitude, imo. If Sprong shows something, make room for him (I'm not necessarily saying THIS training camp, either). Top prospects are assets. If you bury them in your system without much of a shot to make the big club, they lose value.

If there is one thing this organization needs to improve significantly at it's asset management.

Maatta and Pouliot are much different cases than Sprong.

Maatta plays a very mature, complete game. One that easily translates to the NHL. He doesn't get by on his talent or raw skating ability... he is very cerebral.

Pouliot is an 8th overall. His pedigree is a bit higher than Sprong's. I realize draft position isn't everything... but these guys are being picked where they are generally for a reason. He also spent what... two seasons post draft year in junior and a good chunk of time in WB/S? And despite the rhetoric... I think he's hardly a shoo-in for this season at the NHL level. So... I wouldn't say he has fast-tracked his way to the top.

Don't get me wrong... I was very happy to see them get a highly-skilled forward where they got him in the draft. But his game needs plenty of work, the Penguins' forward depth is the best it's been in years and honestly Sprong himself hasn't even come close to making the team's decision difficult. If he were clearly a big cut above the rest (even just on offense) in every preseason game , camp or rookie tourny situation... maybe it would be a bit different. But he simply isn't and I see no good reason to fast-track him.

Well, Ryan O'Reilly and Patrice Bergeron were taken in the SECOND ROUND of their drafts and made the team. ANYTHING can happen when teams have an open mind regarding prospects and camp invitees.

As for Sprong not coming close to making the team's decision difficult, what? LOL Camp hasn't even started yet. Give him at least 1 preseason game and let's see what he does in a real NHL setting before we send him back to Charlottetown. That's all I ask.

It's too bad he wasn't drafted out of Europe, because we could have played him in the AHL this season.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I agree about the AHL thing. Though I think he can still do some good work in juniors. He hasn't exactly dominated there, yet.

But I don't think anything that I said is lol-worthy. Yeah... we haven't seen much of him around other NHL players. Fair enough. But guys like Sundqvist (not surprising), Dea, Loney and even Simon looked like much more complete and "ready" players in comparison. Owing to how much NHL depth up front the team suddenly has... you would want Sprong to really, really make his case iron-clad if you were to risk bringing him up to the NHL roster so quickly. And what are the chances, you think, of him staying in the top six all year? Because he'd be wasted/ineffective just about anywhere else.

Obviously camp will determine a lot. But I really don't see any advantage of pushing Sprong into the NHL early unless he makes huge strides in the next few weeks. None of this is a knock against him... but this talk all just strikes me as shiny-new-toy syndrome. People were saying the same thing about Kapanen last year and he obviously needed more time.

Last edited:

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Fehr can play center, he can play left wing. Bennett can play left wing.

That's the wrong attitude, imo. If Sprong shows something, make room for him (I'm not necessarily saying THIS training camp, either). Top prospects are assets. If you bury them in your system without much of a shot to make the big club, they lose value.

If there is one thing this organization needs to improve significantly at it's asset management

Bennett can't play LW. While Fehr can play center, that would push Bonino further down the depth chart and would also put another roadblock in Sundqvist's way (who is more NHL ready than Sprong). Making a space for Sprong would either include pushing a fringe 2C or a good 3C to the 4th line and block our other best F prospect or would put our best young forward on his off wing, which he can't play.

Asset management is a hell of a lot less important than man management, and what you're advocating doing is awful man management. Sprong should learn how to play LW if he wants to make this team anytime before Bennett is gone and Fehr isn't playing RW.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I agree about the AHL thing. Though I think he can still do some good work in juniors. He hasn't exactly dominated there, yet.

But I don't think anything that I said is lol-worthy. Yeah... we haven't seen much of him around other NHL players. Fair enough. But guys like Sundqvist (not surprising), Dea, Loney and even Simon looked like much more complete and "ready" players in comparison. Owing to how much NHL depth up front the team suddenly has... you would want Sprong to really, really make his case iron-clad if you were to risk bringing him up to the NHL roster so quickly. And what are the chances, you think, of him staying in the top six all year? Because he'd be wasted/ineffective just about anywhere else.

Obviously camp will determine a lot. But I really don't see any advantage of pushing Sprong into the NHL early unless he makes huge strides in the next few weeks. None of this is a knock against him... but this talk all just strikes me as shiny-new-toy syndrome. People were saying the same thing about Kapanen last year and he obviously needed more time.

The bolded is exactly what I'm saying. Give him a chance. Let's see what he does against actual NHLers in real NHL situations before we already have him back in the 'Q'. At no time did I say push him into the NHL early WITHOUT him making huge strides.

Also, Sprong by all accounts had an excellent rookie tournament. I question some of the names that you listed who would be more 'ready' for the NHL than Sprong...Loney, seriously?

Bennett can't play LW. While Fehr can play center, that would push Bonino further down the depth chart and would also put another roadblock in Sundqvist's way (who is more NHL ready than Sprong). Making space for Sprong would either include pushing a fringe 2C or a good 3C to the 4th line and block our other best F prospect or would put our best young forward on his off wing, which he can't play.

Asset management is a hell of a lot less important than man management, and what you're advocating doing is awful man management. Sprong should learn how to play LW if he wants to make this team anytime before Bennett is gone and Fehr isn't playing RW.

Well, agree to disagree that Bennett can't play left wing. That's a fallacy that someone here on this board created and snowballed erroneously ever since. I was at a live game last season where Bennett was playing left wing and he had a breakout performance.

Secondly, what I'm saying is assuming Sprong has a great camp and outshines several other players, including Sundqvist. Otherwise, he's going back to junior hockey. This is ALWAYS implied. But if he does outplay others, he shouldn't be sent back to junior JUST BECAUSE of a perceived crowded forward situation.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
The bolded is exactly what I'm saying. Give him a chance. Let's see what he does against actual NHLers in real NHL situations before we already have him back in the 'Q'. At no time did I say push him into the NHL early WITHOUT him making huge strides.

Also, Sprong by all accounts had an excellent rookie tournament. I question some of the names that you listed who would be more 'ready' for the NHL than Sprong...Loney, seriously?

Yeah, seriously. If he weren't Troy's kid, you'd probably be clamoring for him to make the NHL squad just as you are for Sprong. Big guy... nice hands... good in tight... goes to the net... has impressed in several team-related functions, now. You really don't have to take my word for it, honestly. Ask anyone who watched the tourny and rookie camp.

And of course they are going to give him a chance. They're basically giving everyone who has been invited a chance. That's why it's camp and preseason. If that's the angle you are taking I frankly don't even know what we are quibbling about. I'm just saying that the likelihood of him actually doing something with that chance is extremely, extremely thin.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
it would be nice to stop conflating "bennett is better on the rw" with "bennett can't play lw". that's demonstrably false

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I'm sure Kessel could play LW. But he's sure as **** more effective playing on the right.

Yeah, he skates and shoots with the puck out in front of him, I think he'd have trouble releasing on his off-side.

Kind of the opposite of Kovalev, who carried the puck to his left, and when we played him on the left wing he'd just get pasted into the boards because he couldn't see anybody coming.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Well, agree to disagree that Bennett can't play left wing. That's a fallacy that someone here on this board created and snowballed erroneously ever since. I was at a live game last season where Bennett was playing left wing and he had a breakout performance.

He's significantly less effective at LW. His playmaking ability is hampered while playing the left (he has to either make backhanded passes or passes from behind) and he's worse in the defensive zone on his off side. Just because he can play LW doesn't mean he should. Malkin can play LW, should we move him over to LW and play Bonino as our 2nd line center?

Secondly, what I'm saying is assuming Sprong has a great camp and outshines several other players, including Sundqvist. Otherwise, he's going back to junior hockey. This is ALWAYS implied. But if he does outplay others, he shouldn't be sent back to junior JUST BECAUSE of a perceived crowded forward situation.

But he should though because his game is still extremely raw and there is no spot for him. Who's he going to outplay? He's only a RW, remember. He's not going to outplay Kessel or Hornqvist and probably not Fehr either, although I think Fehr's availability is questionable for the start of the season. He may outplay Bennett, but is it really worth it to play Sprong as a 4th liner just to burn a year off his ELC? For speaking so highly of asset management, you're advocating some pretty dumb asset management. If Fehr's out for the start of the season and Sprong shines in the preseason, then sure, give him a 9 game stint. After that, send him down. Burning a year off his ELC this early is the definition of bad asset management.

it would be nice to stop conflating "bennett is better on the rw" with "bennett can't play lw". that's demonstrably false

Okay, I guess Malkin can play on the wing, but it doesn't make it any less stupid to do so just because he can.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Malkin can play LW, should we move him over to LW and play Bonino as our 2nd line center?

Lets not even joke about stuff like this with this team, please.

It seems like tempting fate. And yes... I DO believe they would do something that stupid. They seem to have a mild obsession with it.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Sprong's offensive game isn't so outstanding that it covers for his deficiencies. Loney has impressed and while he doesn't have the offensive tools of Sprong, he does unsurprisingly have a more complete and pro ready game.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
He's significantly less effective at LW. His playmaking ability is hampered while playing the left (he has to either make backhanded passes or passes from behind) and he's worse in the defensive zone on his off side. Just because he can play LW doesn't mean he should. Malkin can play LW, should we move him over to LW and play Bonino as our 2nd line center?

orders of magnitude different obviously, and you know that. bennett is totally capable of making backhand passes or passing from behind

Okay, I guess Malkin can play on the wing, but it doesn't make it any less stupid to do so just because he can.

once again, orders of magnitude different. just stop exaggerating

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
orders of magnitude different obviously, and you know that. bennett is totally capable of making backhand passes or passing from behind

Just because he's capable doesn't mean he should. I don't think you understand that. Bennett is a much worse player on the left side, it goes against his strengths. Same thing applies to Perron and RW, just because he is capable of playing RW doesn't mean he should be.

That goes back to the Bonino and Malkin example. If Bonino plays really well, we shouldn't move Malkin to LW just to give him the 2nd line center spot. Why? Because it's absolutely stupid. The same applies with Sprong and Bennett on a much smaller scale.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
Just because he's capable doesn't mean he should. I don't think you understand that.

yeah it's such a complex idea, how could anyone understand it

Bennett is a much worse player on the left side, it goes against his strengths. Same thing applies to Perron and RW, just because he is capable of playing RW doesn't mean he should be.

That goes back to the Bonino and Malkin example. If Bonino plays really well, we shouldn't move Malkin to LW just to give him the 2nd line center spot. Why? Because it's absolutely stupid. The same applies with Sprong and Bennett on a much smaller scale.

bennett is a much worse player on the 4th line, it goes against his strengths. i would rather play him lw in the top six/3rd line that rw on the 4th

stop talking about malkin

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
bennett is a much worse player on the 4th line, it goes against his strengths. i would rather play him lw in the top six/3rd line that rw on the 4th

I think that this is a pretty interesting comparison and it's one I ultimately agree with (He's my dark horse for the other side of Kessel before Phil's stick snaps and nails BB's wrist). He's better on the RW, but being on the LW gives him a better chance of being higher up in the lineup where his skills are traditionally more useful. But Bennett himself has also said that LW with Sutter was fine but with Malkin (I assume this translates to top 6 in general) he'd need to be on the RW, however, being on the other side of someone like Kessel helps balance that out even if you lose some of Bennett's appeal in doing so. He'd probably do more for the team as a LW given the RW depth, even if he's a lesser Bennett there.

Bennett won't dethrone Kessel or Hornqvist, then Perron might be there too for stupid reasons. The LW is way more open, Plotnikov hasn't played in the NHL before, Dupuis has barely played in two seasons and Kunitz is in what is a serious decline.

If I were him I'd like my chances better on the LW.

X-Crosby-Kessel
Perron-Malkin-Hornqvist
X-Bonino-X/Fehr
Cullen/X-Fehr/Cullen-X

If they trade Kunitz then BB on the LW becomes more prudent. If Perron is on the RW, beg to be considered a LW.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Barring some sort of miraculous camp where Sprong plays at an unbelievable level, it doesn't really matter how good or comfortable he looks. He needs to develop, and he should be given the opportunity to do so. Give him 2 or 3 years, there is absolutely no rush with Perron, Hornqvist and Kessel on this team.

#1GuinFan

Apr 4, 2003
canada
Visit site

I was at the game against Ottawa, and he is right, those names listed did look more NHL ready than Sprong, including Loney. Sprong had some nice touches here and there, but he was invisible to start the game and made some very questionable decisions (including one atrocious dump-in play where his line-mates were changing, he didn't get the puck beyond the blue line, then turned and went straight to the bench for a change, instead of pressuring the opposing dmen who got the puck handed to him to slow the rush the opposite direction, nearly turned into an odd man break). He is raw, very raw, and needs to learn the finer details of the game, before being thrust into an NHL role. I think patience is key with this prospect.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad