Prospect Info: Daniel Sprong (Right wing | Charlottetown (QMJHL) | 2nd round, 46th overall)

Koekenbakker28

Dec 15, 2014
Netherlands
So as a fellow Dutchmen I'm incredibly proud of Sprong :) what are the scenarios for the future? He can't play AHL until 17/18 right because he turns 20 after 31st of december? And what's up with this 41 game limit for this season?

Personally I'm looking forward to see him play higher up just to see if he can handle that.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
So as a fellow Dutchmen I'm incredibly proud of Sprong :) what are the scenarios for the future? He can't play AHL until 17/18 right because he turns 20 after 31st of december? And what's up with this 41 game limit for this season?

Personally I'm looking forward to see him play higher up just to see if he can handle that.

After 9 games a year ticks off his ELC, after 40 games a year ticks off his RFA status.

He should probably go back to Charlottetown since he's only seeing 4th line minutes with no powerplay time and occasional scratches but this team is inept from the top down especially regarding player development and JR is known for rushing prospects detrimentally. They were gift wrapped a 1st round talent in the mid second round and they're going to **** him up.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Read an article today where he's trying to get his Canadian citizenship so that he could possibly play for Team Canada in the future.
Or possibly as early as this upcoming World Juniors.

The rookie right-winger was tight-lipped on the subject prior to Saturday's meeting with the Flames, but if -- and it's a very big if -- that paperwork arrives sometime soon, it doesn't seem far-fetched that the Penguins would consider loaning him to the national program. And you know Team Canada would love to add an NHLer to their roster.

"I'm working on it. That's all I can say right now. I'm busy with it, but I don't (know) what stage it's at right now," Sprong said of his quest to become a Canadian citizen.

"For sure, I would like to play for Canada one day if I ever do get the opportunity. But I don't have my passport yet, so I can't just can't think about that right now."

http://www.calgarysun.com/2015/11/0...enguins?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Sjoelbak

Oct 5, 2015
Leiden, Netherlands
Sprong got nominated for Talent of the Year award at the Dutch Sports Award Ceremonoy by the Dutch Olympic Committee (which hosts this event). This is actually quite impressive, regarding the little attention hockey gets in the media over here. He is one of the three candidates for the trophy, which will be awarded by a vote of fellow sportsmen and a jury (with some renowned former sportsmen and some board room people).

The jury supported Sprong's nomination with the following:
To score a goal in the biggest hockey league in the world - let alone at the age of 18. Last June Daniël Sprong became the 46th overall pick for the Pittsburgh Penguins in the yearly draft. During training camp in September Sprong manages to make the team and a month later he scores his first goal at the highest level. The last Dutch hockey player to precede him was Ed Kea, who played in the NHL up until 1983. Purely on willpower Sprong fulfilled his childhood dream on a really young age. He is an example for every young athlete.

The two other nominees are 15 year old swimmer Marrit Steenbergen (silver at the WC and 1 gold, 2 silver at the European Games) and Frank de Wit (Judo, junior world champion).

Even though Sprong will likely never play for the Dutch national team, exposure like this is massive for hockey in The Netherlands!

Source: http://www.nocnsf.nl/sportprijzen/sportgala-2015/genomineerden-young-talent-award-2015

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad