WWE: DANIEL BRYAN RETIRES -- Thank you, Bryan

Allie Kitsune

...and the Brawla Brawla Sewitt
Jan 7, 2006
Pennsylvania
I'm trying to think of one wrestler similar to DB in terms of likability for such a long period of time. Someone who wasn't pushed but had to be pushed due to the insane crowd roars and take-over moments.

I honestly cannot think of one. DB is seriously a one of a kind talent.

I think they've got another one lined up and ready to go in Sami Zayn.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I think they've got another one lined up and ready to go in Sami Zayn.

Zayn is talented but there is no way he gets that over on the main roster. He will find his place and it'll end up high on the card but I don't think anyone will replicate or even come close to replicating what DB did. Just like no one can really replicate Hogan or Austin or Rock.

Virtanen18

SAMCRO
Jan 25, 2014
Vancouver
Zayn is talented but there is no way he gets that over on the main roster. He will find his place and it'll end up high on the card but I don't think anyone will replicate or even come close to replicating what DB did. Just like no one can really replicate Hogan or Austin or Rock.
How can you say that though? DB was never projected to be as popular as he was.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Sami Zayn could fill a similar role. He's likable, smaller, the ultimate underdog.

I think it'll be a while until we see someone capture the hearts of fans like Daniel Bryan, though. The guy got the biggest reactions of any superstar since Austin.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
How can you say that though? DB was never projected to be as popular as he was.

Because there are specific things about him and certain things that just happened that are not likely to repeat for anyone. Zayn can play the role of the underdog but he doesn't look the part like DB did. A chant like DB had is not something Zayn currently has and a lot of that is dumb luck too. He could get that but will he and will it catch on like DB's did? That's highly doubtful. Hell, the Yes! chant was the first real chant of that kind that caught fire since the What? gimmick.

I think Sami has the wrestling skill to do what DB did in the ring but I think it's going to be awfully difficult for Sami to get over as a face on the main roster let alone to that level. The way that faces are booked and portrayed on the main roster, it is just damn hard to get over to THAT level. I don't think Zayn is built for that and I don't think WWE would bury Zayn and book Zayn like DB was which helped get him over and that was unintentional.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Zayn has the potential imo for that spot.

Likable guy outside of the ring? check

Master of his craft? check (albeit not on the level of Bryan)

Unique, as in not a mastodon type look? check

Mic work? Check

You can even work the whole Syrian heritage thing to really get him over with international crowds. (I legit never knew that, thought he was Irish lol)

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Zayn has the potential imo for that spot.

Likable guy outside of the ring? check

Master of his craft? check (albeit not on the level of Bryan)

Unique, as in not a mastodon type look? check

Mic work? Check

You can even work the whole Syrian heritage thing to really get him over with international crowds. (I legit never knew that, thought he was Irish lol)

I think the biggest difference between the two will be how they are booked, portrayed, and protected. I think there will be some care put into Zayn and while he will have credibility as a performer, that care will likely prevent him from getting over like DB did because people saw how little the company gave a **** about DB. I just don't think the fans will relate to Zayn like they did to DB because of those factors.

SladeWilson23

I keep my promises.
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2014
New Jersey
CawL9W8W4AATSuU.jpg

Grand Slam Champion!

He looks different in all four pictures.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
"It will be a long time before people fully understand the contributions he made to this industry, which is a far better place because of his involvement. There were things dating back to 2001 that he was involved with that changed the underground foundation of the industry, and over the past few years, significantly changed talent evaluation at the highest level of the industry.

Change is slow, to be sure, but this is a different industry and he played a huge part in it. When you really look back, from an influence standpoint, he triggered a number of changes and his contributions are actually enormous."

- Dave Meltzer

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
Anybody think Mick is a good comparable to DB?

Not really.

First off, the styles, no way comparable.

But also Mick had a run in WCW pretty early as Cactus Jack where anyone could see he had a value as a solid mid to upper card heel even if Bischoff didn't. Mick was also incredibly durable because of his body type. He admitted being a big boned fat guy protected him a lot better. Bryan seemed to just fight through a lot of stuff when maybe he shouldn't have.

Now as far as being great guys beloved by the fans? Absolutely on par with each other.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Idk why they are cracking down like mad on DB's segment. Anyone have a video of the full thing?

TribalPhoenix

Former TribalPhoenix
Dec 2, 2005
Toronto
It's been a full day and I'm still down. This is gonna take a while to get over.

Glad he's considering his family first and his future, but he was just so much more than a wrestler.

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
They keep saying all this stuff about how he changed the game.

But the people at the top haven't changed their views about anything at all.

It's still about the look, and the people with the look will get pushed.

I think the one thing I'll remember about Daniel Bryan, is the same thing I remember about Punk.

How they had something very special, and completely ruined it because they didn't fit their picture of what they wanted.

They gave Punk a shot I guess, but they ruined it to push a former star and their guy. They never really gave Bryan his proper shot and now he's done.

So much talent wasted.

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
Idk why they are cracking down like mad on DB's segment. Anyone have a video of the full thing?

They'll be having it taken down so they can sell you the DVD. I don't think they'll be uploading any more than they already had to their YouTube, so prob just have to wait until the Network uploads Raw in a few weeks.

Or just download Raw from all the normal places.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
It's been a full day and I'm still down. This is gonna take a while to get over.

Glad he's considering his family first and his future, but he was just so much more than a wrestler.

It's a weird one for me. I've seen greats retire in many sports/entertainment/etc. And to be honest, I don't give a ****. Next guy up, IMO. But this one is the first time where a guy I honestly don't even know has affected me and actually made me feel terrible that we will never get to see him in WWE again. It's beyond strange.

They keep saying all this stuff about how he changed the game.

But the people at the top haven't changed their views about anything at all.

It's still about the look, and the people with the look will get pushed.

I think the one thing I'll remember about Daniel Bryan, is the same thing I remember about Punk.

How they had something very special, and completely ruined it because they didn't fit their picture of what they wanted.

They gave Punk a shot I guess, but they ruined it to push a former star and their guy. They never really gave Bryan his proper shot and now he's done.

So much talent wasted.

Punk could have run as the main heel from SES all the way til his last day. DB could easily have done the same as a face after WM 28. Dude was so mega over. There is no better thing then when an underdog chases the title and DB was the ultimate one. We DAMN sure got screwed out of no Lesnar/DB and no Punk/DB on the biggest stage of them all. What a ****ing damn shame.

They'll be having it taken down so they can sell you the DVD. I don't think they'll be uploading any more than they already had to their YouTube, so prob just have to wait until the Network uploads Raw in a few weeks.

Or just download Raw from all the normal places.

Thank you, Kimi. :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad