WWE: DANIEL BRYAN RETIRES -- Thank you, Bryan

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Sheamus maybe thought he was selling, and figured out that he wasn't after he dropped him. I can't imagine he would do that if he knew he was injured. And then Barrett jocularly (but not really) admits that he might have hit him a little too hard, which is really strange to say even for a heel. To me that may say that he's trying to tell the production that he is actually hurt.

The doc was right there when he was tending to the blood. If he didn't get a response from Bryan, he wouldn't have let Sheamus grab him.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Sheamus maybe thought he was selling, and figured out that he wasn't after he dropped him. I can't imagine he would do that if he knew he was injured. And then Barrett jocularly (but not really) admits that he might have hit him a little too hard, which is really strange to say even for a heel. To me that may say that he's trying to tell the production that he is actually hurt.

Sheamus definitely let him go when he realized he was complete dead weight and they went to a quick finish.

I can only imagine what someone like Sheamus thinks in that moment, having to play that character but knowing your friend is in legitimately rough shape and you have to go to a quick finish.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
- The Observer is renaming the "Best Technical Wrestler" award to "The Bryan Danielson Award".

- Someone high up in creative told someone from the Cheap Heat podcast that Daniel Bryan was Vince McMahon's favourite wrestler from back just before Team Hell No, likely because of how he dove into the promo class (Bryan talks about it in his book). It doesn't mean Vince saw him as a champion, but Vince's favourite wrestler was Bryan.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Time for me to watch nothing but Team Hell No promos. They were so ****ing good.

I'm really bummed that DB was hiding seizures and made comments about how healthy he was. I know the guy loves wrestling, but he's extremely intelligent. I want nothing but to see DB live a long healthy life. Even though he won't be spoken about, he's going to do more good in this world than so many people. I want to see him be able to fulfill that.

As we talked about in the original DB thread - SOMETHING wasn't adding up. The truth inevitably came out.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
It is one thing to believe the seizures had nothing to do with your concussions, but you still can't hide them as it could of a result of something else that is serious.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Vince didn't see him as champion likely because he couldn't stay healthy enough. As much as we disliked him not being in the picture, business wise it doesn't really make sense to make the top guy a guy who was one bad bump away from being put on the shelf for good (who knows how far those brain problems stretch back.) It's partially why guys like Cena stayed on top for so long

You can tell Vince likes somebody when he gets involved in the story. People seem to forget Vinny Mac was the original foil to Bryan before Triple H turned at Summerslam.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Vince didn't see him as champion likely because he couldn't stay healthy enough. As much as we disliked him not being in the picture, business wise it doesn't really make sense to make the top guy a guy who was one bad bump away from being put on the shelf for good (who knows how far those brain problems stretch back.) It's partially why guys like Cena stayed on top for so long

You can tell Vince likes somebody when he gets involved in the story. People seem to forget Vinny Mac was the original foil to Bryan before Triple H turned at Summerslam.

How dare you forget the legendary Brad Maddox!?

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Time for me to watch nothing but Team Hell No promos. They were so ****ing good.

I'm really bummed that DB was hiding seizures and made comments about how healthy he was. I know the guy loves wrestling, but he's extremely intelligent. I want nothing but to see DB live a long healthy life. Even though he won't be spoken about, he's going to do more good in this world than so many people. I want to see him be able to fulfill that.

As we talked about in the original DB thread - SOMETHING wasn't adding up. The truth inevitably came out.

But everything did run as we thought. He was getting tests and getting positive results and clearances from major doctors.

It wasn't until he took this test that is newer and not standard practice yet that he got his first legit no (since rightfully so why would he listen to WWE's Dr Quack).

We would still be in limbo or he would be suing to go wrestle elsewhere if not for this new test.

Hiding the seizures was nuts but he didn't think they were concussion related. He still shouldn't of hid because even if they weren't having seizures isn't something you ever hide.

Account Terminated

Sep 12, 2009
On the most recent episode of Wrestling Observer Radio, Meltzer debunked the seizure claim by stating that D-Bry had not suffered a seizure in four years.

finnbalor*

Wrestling is dying, long live sports entertainment.

Really though, after Owens and Balor who is coming up from the territories? NXT is basically doing to the indies what Vince did to the territories. The future looks very bleak for the WWE to ever be fun to watch again.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

Really though, after Owens and Balor who is coming up from the territories? NXT is basically doing to the indies what Vince did to the territories. The future looks very bleak for the WWE to ever be fun to watch again.

I don't really agree. NXT is still a development promotion at the end of the day and that's something they've had for many years now. They're not really taking on that much more to where it's bleeding the indies dry.

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009

Seth Rollins is 29. Dean Ambrose is 30. Bray Wyatt is 28. Rusev is 30. Owens is 31. All very young guys who can be built around and guys like Cesaro, etc that while older can still be good for several years. There's lots of young talent on the main roster and NXT.

And the beautiful thing about the Indy circuit? The talent is almost endless.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Pro wrestling, from a talent standpoint, and even television, is in one of the best states it's been in in a very long time. I remember when I stopped watching in 2008 there was pretty much only WWE and TNA on TV. Now we have WWE, TNA, ROH, Lucha Underground, NJPW is the number two promotion in the world and the Indies are in a pretty awesome state right now with so much good talent.

The Shockmaster

SHOCK THE WORLD
Jul 30, 2010
Pro wrestling, from a talent standpoint, and even television, is in one of the best states it's been in in a very long time. I remember when I stopped watching in 2008 there was pretty much only WWE and TNA on TV. Now we have WWE, TNA, ROH, Lucha Underground, NJPW is the number two promotion in the world and the Indies are in a pretty awesome state right now with so much good talent.

I don't claim to be a wrestling know-it-all or a connoisseur, but in my opinion, while the in-ring quality of wrestling worldwide is at a golden age, there seems to be (especially in the independents), a departure from traditional wrestling techniques, most notably aspects of psychology such as selling. Ring flash seems to be "in" nowadays, which, in my opinion, can be extremely exciting, but not in a long-term perspective. It really is "all sizzle and no steak". You get used to seeing spectacular athletes like Ricochet or the Young Bucks pull off impressive gymnastic maneuvers, incorporating a number of flips and dives that takes your breath away. However, what we're losing here is something important, and that is the selling. Moves begin to lose their value. Matches devolve into a series of spots rather than a cohesive story. The audience cannot appreciate the moments in between the moves and the nuances demonstrated by the wrestlers; these subtleties are rejected in favor of restless, not eager, anticipation of the next extravagant spot. It's like the difference between reading a novel and reading a novel synopsis; the former involves quiet periods where the audience has the opportunity to appreciate the atmosphere and further immerse themselves in the world. The latter hits you with exciting plot points one after the other, but the immediate gratification the audience gains from it diminishes their attachment to the story and the characters, and thus those subtleties are completely overlooked. The movement we are seeing in modern day wrestling, and specifically the indie scene, not only puts the performers at a higher risk of injury, but it diminishes the integral intricacies of the performance itself.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
I don't claim to be a wrestling know-it-all or a connoisseur, but in my opinion, while the in-ring quality of wrestling worldwide is at a golden age, there seems to be (especially in the independents), a departure from traditional wrestling techniques, most notably aspects of psychology such as selling. Ring flash seems to be "in" nowadays, which, in my opinion, can be extremely exciting, but not in a long-term perspective. It really is "all sizzle and no steak". You get used to seeing spectacular athletes like Ricochet or the Young Bucks pull off impressive gymnastic maneuvers, incorporating a number of flips and dives that takes your breath away. However, what we're losing here is something important, and that is the selling. Moves begin to lose their value. Matches devolve into a series of spots rather than a cohesive story. The audience cannot appreciate the moments in between the moves and the nuances demonstrated by the wrestlers; these subtleties are rejected in favor of restless, not eager, anticipation of the next extravagant spot. It's like the difference between reading a novel and reading a novel synopsis; the former involves quiet periods where the audience has the opportunity to appreciate the atmosphere and further immerse themselves in the world. The latter hits you with exciting plot points one after the other, but the immediate gratification the audience gains from it diminishes their attachment to the story and the characters, and thus those subtleties are completely overlooked. The movement we are seeing in modern day wrestling, and specifically the indie scene, not only puts the performers at a higher risk of injury, but it diminishes the integral intricacies of the performance itself.

I don't disagree, but strictly from an industry standpoint, professional wrestling is in much better shape than it was 10 years ago, imo.

Fa Ci La

Mar 2, 2012

adam cole baybay

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Bryan revealed that he hid his seizures from Brie as well, but when she saw him have one, Bryan begged her not to tell anyone because WWE wouldn't let him continue to perform (if Meltzer is correct, this was earlier... 2011-2013).

Brie is likely done by the summer.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Bryan revealed that he hid his seizures from Brie as well, but when she saw him have one, Bryan begged her not to tell anyone because WWE wouldn't let him continue to perform (if Meltzer is correct, this was earlier... 2011-2013).

Brie is likely done by the summer.

He said at some point the last one he had was four years ago so 2012 seems like a good bet on that. Can't really tell how much truth there is in that statement just because of how he's hid this stuff and then revealing this stuff. I understand why but it wouldn't surprise me if the four years ago bit was a lie too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad