Danes in the NHL and their exploits.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bank

Nov 21, 2010
Odense, Denmark
Besides, saying it has been a bad year, is not just a credit to how a players statistical season has been.

I do in no way mean to comment on the rest of the post but this part caught my eye :)

Statistically the Danes actually had a great year IMO. Frans Nielsen, Lars Eller, Jannik Hansen and Mikkel Boedker had a increase in points per game and three of them set personal records. And as a bonus Frederik Andersen had a great year in the AHL :)

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
Yup I know he has, and I get that can be harsh for a young guy. But that doesn't change the fact that he sucked down in Chicago. There may be a good reason for that sucking. But it still doesn't change it.

Yes it was too soon, and I said that aswell and allot of people on the nucks boards said that too.

But I will surely keep from writing anything but neutral posts in the future..

Well I hope you keep writing what you feel and don't get to upset over "what other people sticks in your shoes" (to make a direct translation).

Basically the point of this thread was to discuss how we think the danish players are doing. It's never supposed to be an objective correct view of the Danes in the NHL (no one would have time to watch all the games anyways).
I do report points and +/- statistics because it does give a certain trend of their and their teams play. I don't think anyone here is basing their evaluation entirely on the stats - but stats are important in NHL as it is in all sport. If you are a forward and don't produce, in the end it doesn't matter how well you play.
So remember that I and many other here report trends......and whether it goes good or bad for the danish players. When you have seen a game then we will be very happy to hear a more in depth analysis. NHL is still mostly at the time where I sleep.

You can be disappointed with a forward that doesn't score as much as you hoped - it still doesn't mean you think he plays badly.
For instance I think Mikkel Bødker have played fantastic this year, but at this WC I'm still disappointed that he hasn't scored on many of his big chances - though still think he is Denmark's best player. [and I'm disappointed after the Lukko goal feast that he only got 7 for Phoenix].

So keep posting but remember it's a discussion forum about danish NHL'ers where we are a few Danes contributing. We lose even a few contributors - and there is no discussion anymore. That would be sad for everyone. So let's be as civil and cool as possible towards each other, but still feel free to let fumes out when it comes to game and/or player frustration.

Bank

Nov 21, 2010
Odense, Denmark
To get back on track. Lars Eller is skating again. Lets hope it's the first of many good signs that the concussion was nothing serious.

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
To get back on track. Lars Eller is skating again. Lets hope it's the first of many good signs that the concussion was nothing serious.

That is good news. If he still suffered from effects of the concussion or with some jaw/cheekbone problem, then he definitely wouldn't be skating.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
I do in no way mean to comment on the rest of the post but this part caught my eye :)

Statistically the Danes actually had a great year IMO. Frans Nielsen, Lars Eller, Jannik Hansen and Mikkel Boedker had a increase in points per game and three of them set personal records. And as a bonus Frederik Andersen had a great year in the AHL :)

No need to, it wasn't directed at you :)

Well, that was what I was trying to say, yes they have had great years statistically, but that's not all I use to determine a succesful year like someone else said.

Well I hope you keep writing what you feel and don't get to upset over "what other people sticks in your shoes" (to make a direct translation).

Basically the point of this thread was to discuss how we think the danish players are doing. It's never supposed to be an objective correct view of the Danes in the NHL (no one would have time to watch all the games anyways).
I do report points and +/- statistics because it does give a certain trend of their and their teams play. I don't think anyone here is basing their evaluation entirely on the stats - but stats are important in NHL as it is in all sport. If you are a forward and don't produce, in the end it doesn't matter how well you play.
So remember that I and many other here report trends......and whether it goes good or bad for the danish players. When you have seen a game then we will be very happy to hear a more in depth analysis. NHL is still mostly at the time where I sleep.

You can be disappointed with a forward that doesn't score as much as you hoped - it still doesn't mean you think he plays badly.
For instance I think Mikkel Bødker have played fantastic this year, but at this WC I'm still disappointed that he hasn't scored on many of his big chances - though still think he is Denmark's best player. [and I'm disappointed after the Lukko goal feast that he only got 7 for Phoenix].

So keep posting but remember it's a discussion forum about danish NHL'ers where we are a few Danes contributing. We lose even a few contributors - and there is no discussion anymore. That would be sad for everyone. So let's be as civil and cool as possible towards each other, but still feel free to let fumes out when it comes to game and/or player frustration.

Im glad you feel that way.. I don't mind people not agreeing! I mind the smug, condescending attitude.. I find it horrible and highly provocative in light of the situation they were said in-
The rest of what you write I agree fully on, and I honestly thought that was made clear the last time this discussion arose.. But I was wrong.

BTW - look at Austria beating Slovakia and Slovenia almost doing the same to the Czechs.. Yikes, not good..

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen

Well, that was what I was trying to say, yes they have had great years statistically, but that's not all I use to determine a succesful year like someone else said.

Im glad you feel that way.. I don't mind people not agreeing! I mind the smug, condescending attitude.. I find it horrible and highly provocative in light of the situation they were said in-
The rest of what you write I agree fully on, and I honestly thought that was made clear the last time this discussion arose.. But I was wrong.

BTW - look at Austria beating Slovakia and Slovenia almost doing the same to the Czechs.. Yikes, not good..

:) hope you stay onboard!

Well very good that the Czech's finally won over Slovenia based on their power play (3 goals). Makes it even more impressive that we could withstand the Czech NHL-star powerplay even in overtime 4-3.

By the way danish prospects going to NA.
Patrick Russell going to USHL for Muskegon Lumberjacks and Mads Eller will liely go to CHL.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
:) hope you stay onboard!

Well very good that the Czech's finally won over Slovenia based on their power play (3 goals). Makes it even more impressive that we could withstand the Czech NHL-star powerplay even in overtime 4-3.

By the way danish prospects going to NA.
Patrick Russell going to USHL for Muskegon Lumberjacks and Mads Eller will liely go to CHL.

Ill stay on board, that's for sure... But it is getting a little old having the Danish HF police on my back all the time.. So I prolly will keep it a bit more neutral..

Yeah, defo! A win would have been so sweet though..

Wow, that's interesting, wonder what made him do that? Trying to make a Markus Lauridsen?

Oh well, Eller going to CHL is good, tell's me he is really betting on a future in the NHL :)

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
Ill stay on board, that's for sure... But it is getting a little old having the Danish HF police on my back all the time.. So I prolly will keep it a bit more neutral..

Yeah, defo! A win would have been so sweet though..

Wow, that's interesting, wonder what made him do that? Trying to make a Markus Lauridsen?

Oh well, Eller going to CHL is good, tell's me he is really betting on a future in the NHL :)

I really hope Montreal might gamble taking Mads Eller on a 7'th round pick.
Patrick Russel had a good year for Linköbing U20, he has good size and I think Markus Lauridsen might have inspired him to try. He is the third Gentofte guy coming out as a project (after the Lauridsen brothers). Very good job for my home-suburb amateur club..;)

Bank

Nov 21, 2010
Odense, Denmark

Ah I misunderstood then ;)

Why do a Markus Lauridsen when you can do a Oliver Lauridsen(Getting drafted as an overager) :naughty:

Does anybody know if Russel has family ties with some NA-country?

Btw. Anybody know how our little Danish colony i the WSHL is doing? Christian Elsborg, Mathias Walbum and Mathias Stenild.

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen

Why do a Markus Lauridsen when you can do a Oliver Lauridsen(Getting drafted as an overager) :naughty:

Btw. Anybody know how our little Danish colony in the WSHL is doing? Christian Elsborg, Mathias Walbum and Mathias Stenild.

About Patrick Russell I don't now.
Dallas Ice Jets ended with only Christian Elsborg and Mathias Stenild on the roster - team got a semifinal loss in the WSHL. Christian Elsborg ended with good forward stats 30G 23A in 24 matches.
Trivia: We have a Pat Russell from Coquitlam, BC of all places....
http://www.eliteprospects.com/team.php?team=11143&status=stats

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
I really hope Montreal might gamble taking Mads Eller on a 7'th round pick.
Patrick Russel had a good year for Linköbing U20, he has good size and I think Markus Lauridsen might have inspired him to try. He is the third Gentofte guy coming out as a project (after the Lauridsen brothers). Very good job for my home-suburb amateur club..;)

Haha yeah, I saw you try to sell that idea off to Montreal, and they seemed pretty positive :D It would be fun, but I watched Eller Jr. a handfull of times, and I really have no idea about his true level. Hard to rate imo.

Btw. Anybody know how our little Danish colony i the WSHL is doing? Christian Elsborg, Mathias Walbum and Mathias Stenild.

Would be cool with an overage draft :D

About Patrick Russell I don't now.
Dallas Ice Jets ended with only Christian Elsborg and Mathias Stenild on the roster - team got a semifinal loss in the WSHL. Christian Elsborg ended with good forward stats 30G 23A in 24 matches.
Trivia: We have a Pat Russell from Coquitlam, BC of all places....
http://www.eliteprospects.com/team.php?team=11143&status=stats

I haven't followed those guys allot, and I honestly don't know much about the level of hockey in those minor US leagues.

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
Such a shame...with Montreal, Islanders and Vancouver out we could in theory have had Lars Eller, Frans Nielsen, Jannik Hansen and Nicklas Jensen on the WC roster. Because they are send out a little to late or got injured we only got Nicklas Jensen. [at least he started well with a goal].
Actually Lars Eller, Frans Nielsen and Jannik Hansen all got major or minor injured in the playoffs - and the teams that moved on Anaheim and Ottawa just sits on Frederik Andersen and Peter Regin but don't use them.
What a bummer that is.

admire

Denmark Fan
May 9, 2010
Denmark
Maybe so, but I expect a world championship to contain the worlds best players and both you and I knows that is not the case, right? Fact is that WC in its present state is a joke and has nothing to do with who is the worlds best. It is more like which country has the best B-team.

So why call it the WC then?

Dont get me wrong. I found the game this afternoon very exciting. But it was not because of the intensity or the grid, the speed or the nice technical level in which it was played. In fact, the only reason was because Denmark was one of the teams. If that would have been a match between Czechs and Latvia I would have turned off the TV after 5 minutes.

The whole concept of a WC is getting so freaking exploited, that I think it is time to revaluate the format all over again. In the 80's you had Canada Cup preseason to make an alternative for the WC where all players where available. That didnt work out to well either, but having WC every year is in my opinion killing a lot of the attention that the sport would have got otherwise.

If you still dont get my point, then let me ask you a question: Would you feel so strong about the WC if we had qualified for the olympics?
Nobody ells seems to, except for the hardcore hockeyfans.

Buttom line; I called the WC insignificant and boring because what I like in hockey is intensity, fighting spirit, speed, techical superiority and a living crowd. I do not see any of those parameters in the WC except once in a while.

I get some of your points, especially that holding the WC every year is stupid. But this is what we got, and I can't understand why you would turn off the tv if denmark was not playing, because there has been quite a few good games with great intensity and skill. There is talk about something like the Canada Cup making a comeback which would basically mean the death of our national team if that tournament ends up making the World Championship irrelevant.

"Would you feel so strong about the WC if we had qualified for the olympics?" : Yes. Our NT has a great and proud history in this tournament, and it would still mean alot. The olympics is still quite some time away.

The tournament still has a lot of great NHL talent, and the best talent of all the european leagues. And there is great skill, great intensity(with the added aspect of national rivalries), plenty of upsets and while the crowd has been a sad state of affairs this time around, it was quite decent in Germany for instance.

I would love for the WC to have the best players, but the IIHF and the NHL can apparantly not agree to that. but that does not make the WC irrelevant, just less great than it could have been,.

Bank

Nov 21, 2010
Odense, Denmark
Low relevance kinda news but... Montreal won't resign Michael Ryder: http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2013/05/30/report-canadiens-wont-re-sign-michael-ryder/

That removes a little thing in the back of my mind, that Montreal still had to money top 9-forwards(Prust can be argued but look at his paycheck. He's not payed to be a fourth liner). Ryder wasn't a direct thread to Eller in any way but it was just a numbers game that had one to many in it.

Bank

Nov 21, 2010
Odense, Denmark
Something could be up in Dallas. 9 D-men are waiver-eligible next summer if they sign Conchar and their RFAs. Bad asset management if they risk losing out on 1-2 of those for nothing. Know the haters gonna hate and scream hyperbole but... Philip Larsen might.... just might... not play in the same club his entire NHL career :)

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
Something could be up in Dallas. 9 D-men are waiver-eligible next summer if they sign Conchar and their RFAs. Bad asset management if they risk losing out on 1-2 of those for nothing. Know the haters gonna hate and scream hyperbole but... Philip Larsen might.... just might... not play in the same club his entire NHL career :)

It seems that Dallas is a very turbulent club to be a d-man in. Nothing is certain....
It will be interesting to see what will happen to Philip Larsen with all this chaos and confusion.

Bank

Nov 21, 2010
Odense, Denmark
It seems that Dallas is a very turbulent club to be a d-man in. Nothing is certain....
It will be interesting to see what will happen to Philip Larsen with all this chaos and confusion.

Not more than anywhere else I think. You can say they had it coming. They were close to the playoffs but were 7th in goals againt and 9th in shots against. That's not gonna fly. Things had to change.

Besides a third of the Dallas have been there for ages(Robidas and Daley). Earlier great D-men have thrived there(Zubov, Hatcher etc.).

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Phil Larsen in a suprise trade to Edmonton...

Larsen is getting an unnecessary harsh tone with him from the Stars fans.. I did not know he was that atrocious. Anywho, let's hope this can give him some confidence and the Oilers believe more in him.

Thinking the Stars fans lack self-thinking and perspektive..

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
Phil Larsen in a suprise trade to Edmonton...

Larsen is getting an unnecessary harsh tone with him from the Stars fans.. I did not know he was that atrocious. Anywho, let's hope this can give him some confidence and the Oilers believe more in him.

Thinking the Stars fans lack self-thinking and perspektive..

Yep that is surely a bit surprising.
But after his last season in Dallas it's probably good for him to get away. All this d-men rotations sapped away his confidence.
Fans were probably after him because of his lack of physique, but if he is paired with a strong big d-man he can show himself as an excellent puck moving offensive forward.
He showed his skill at the WC, so with the right pairing and some more PP time he has a chance to consolidate himself as a regular NHL player.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Haha well see :) The Oilers board are Bandwaggoning the Stars opinions... I give up..

Best of luck to Larry in Oilers Town.

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
Haha well see :) The Oilers board are Bandwaggoning the Stars opinions... I give up..

Best of luck to Larry in Oilers Town.

Looks tough for Philip Larsen then - but NHL are evolving more and more into a "giant sport".
Sadly for us that like the technical aspects of the game......
But Philip Larsen showed in the WC that he is fantastic on big ice, so maybe he eventually will have to consider KHL as Regin.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Looks tough for Philip Larsen then - but NHL are evolving more and more into a "giant sport".
Sadly for us that like the technical aspects of the game......
But Philip Larsen showed in the WC that he is fantastic on big ice, so maybe he eventually will have to consider KHL as Regin.

That's what im hoping/thinking.. And with the massive expansions KHL is experiencing, they seem to have big plans for the league ...

admire

Denmark Fan
May 9, 2010
Denmark
That's what im hoping/thinking.. And with the massive expansions KHL is experiencing, they seem to have big plans for the league ...

Would be very beneficial for danish hockey if the KHL kept growing....A few current and future NHL players would probably fit in better on bigger ice. The NHL will of course always be the first choice but would be nice if the KHL became a more attractive alternative for Danish players if the NHL career doesn't work out the first few years.

We will have to wait and see if Regin has success with the Islanders, but if we doesn't, then KHL has to be an option.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad