Denmark: Danes in the NHL 2016/2017

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
Wow - 3 Danes drafted! So close to draw with the Czech in number of drafted and we got 1 more than the Swiss.

I had thought only Mathias From had a real shot at it, but surprisingly both Nikolaj Krag Christensen and Joachim Blichfeld managed to get drafted right at the very end.
Shows that some teams are willing to take a late pick gamble on Danish players now!

Also the first Belgian drafted - goalie Wouters Peeters - who will be joining the Danes in Jokerit next season.
So Belgium had more drafted than Slovakia, that got none!
Good to see that hockey seems to be slowly expanding to Holland (got one drafted last year) and Belgium, that both could have huge future potential.
Belgium was actually a hockey nation in bygone ages (lost 8-3 to them in WC 1949) and Holland with its speed skating tradition - and also nuts about field hockey - is just as huge potential nation in the waiting.

admire

Denmark Fan
May 9, 2010
Denmark
So pleased for those guys especially Krag and Blichfeld...There is clearly much more scouting going on especially in the u20/u18/u etc. .Krag Christensen really seemed to impress commentators and fans on hf so I had a little hope he would go late...didn't expect Blichfeld but very nice surprise...to have a player like Ehlers or bjorkstrand drafted after being so dominant in North America is one thing but it's nice to see three euro based players drafted.

andersej

Jul 16, 2009
Copenhagen
So pleased for those guys especially Krag and Blichfeld...There is clearly much more scouting going on especially in the u20/u18/u etc. .Krag Christensen really seemed to impress commentators and fans on hf so I had a little hope he would go late...didn't expect Blichfeld but very nice surprise...to have a player like Ehlers or bjorkstrand drafted after being so dominant in North America is one thing but it's nice to see three euro based players drafted.

Blichfeld is right out of left field for me since he wasn't on the U20 team. Krag is a surprise too, as I was afraid his injury in the second half of the season would hurt his chances of getting drafted. Also the fact that I believe in terms of stats, he was the lowest scoring forward drafted this year. For Krag, his performance at the WJC must have been pivotal.

Last edited:

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
Well not exactly, he's still a kid so he'll be playing on the U20 team.

Eliteprospects had him on the roster, but it makes perfect sense he will be on the U20 team as Jokerit has 4 goalies already. [In the Danish league we send the kids much earlier into the roster - some only 15 years old - but in KHL with the level far higher you have to wait more years].

Would be interesting to hear more about him from Finland as a Belgian going as high as 3rd round he must have some real potential (besides just his size).
Has Jokerit giving some detailed info on why they secured him?

Valdemar

Danish junior hockey
Oct 6, 2007

I am really happy for the 3 Danes drafted. It must be a childhood dream come through for them. They have just gotten the seal of approval that they are among the best players their age in the world.
Not only must it give them a huge boost in confidence, and desire to get better, it will also give them chances for invaluable adventures and experiences no matter if they reach the NHL or not.

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
Blichfeld is right out of left field for me since he wasn't on the US team. Krag is a surprise too, as I was afraid his injury in the second half of the season would hurt his chances of getting drafted. Also the fact that I believe in terms of stats, he was the lowest scoring forward drafted this year. For Krag, his performance at the WJC must have been pivotal.

Yeah Blichfeld I hadn't seen coming at all and with Nikolaj Krag Christensen I thought (as you) his injury and low production would certainly keep him from being drafted.
You are probably correct that WJC played a huge part for him (and probably for Mathias From as well).

I had thought Matias Lassen and Alexander True as over-ager had more chance (1% instead of 0%) for being drafted. Lassen already playing in Allsvenskan and True played in NA youth leagues giving him more exposure and he has good size and physicality.

Valdemar

Danish junior hockey
Oct 6, 2007

Thank you for the list.

Almost unbelievable to see that of the 14 danish players drafted from 2002 to 2014, only 3 has never played in the NHL, and probably (hopefully) all of them except 1 will be NHL regulars. It is an insane draft hit-rate if you get 10 NHL players out of 14 drafted no matter where they are drafted (FA drafted twice). That is a 71% success rate! :amazed:

Urbanskog

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Helsinki
Eliteprospects had him on the roster, but it makes perfect sense he will be on the U20 team as Jokerit has 4 goalies already. [In the Danish league we send the kids much earlier into the roster - some only 15 years old - but in KHL with the level far higher you have to wait more years].

Would be interesting to hear more about him from Finland as a Belgian going as high as 3rd round he must have some real potential (besides just his size).
Has Jokerit giving some detailed info on why they secured him?

They haven't said much but since they dragged him all the way to Finland I suppose they must see a lot of potential in him. Definitely an interesting acquisition, I hope he will be successful.

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
Thank you for the list.

Almost unbelievable to see that of the 14 danish players drafted from 2002 to 2014, only 3 has never played in the NHL, and probably (hopefully) all of them except 1 will be NHL regulars. It is an insane draft hit-rate if you get 10 NHL players out of 14 drafted no matter where they are drafted (FA drafted twice). That is a 71% success rate! :amazed:

Yeah the success rate is really stunning.
Shows a sports culture in Danish icehockey, that still values hard work as the corner stone (sadly lacking more and more in other aspects of Danish youth culture).

it probably shows that until now scouts have been overly cautious with players from non-traditional hockey countries and that late picking Krag Christensen and Blichfeld shows a beginning trend of being willing to gamble more on Danish players (hopefully seeing more Danes drafted in the future).

PS: Who is the lone drafted one that you hopefully will not see as NHL regular :sarcasm:
[What you wrote is a bit ambiguous in meaning].

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
They haven't said much but since they dragged him all the way to Finland I suppose they must see a lot of potential in him. Definitely an interesting acquisition, I hope he will be successful.

Thanks.
So we just have to wait and see what he delivers.

Valdemar

Danish junior hockey
Oct 6, 2007
PS: Who is the lone drafted one that you hopefully will not see as NHL regular :sarcasm:
[What you wrote is a bit ambiguous in meaning].

LOL, you can certainly misunderstand anything if you really want to. I could probably have phrased it differently, but the one player that I expect will not be a NHL regular is Oliver Lauridsen.

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
LOL, you can certainly misunderstand anything if you really want to. I could probably have phrased it differently, but the one player that I expect will not be a NHL regular is Oliver Lauridsen.

:D I was deliberately misunderstanding it.
Otherwise you can say that since Oliver Lauridsen actually got 16 NHL matches as a 7th round drafted, so that is still quite a success.
He got the size and spirit, but is still lacking in skating (I guess that is basically the only thing keeping him from an NHL career?).

Bagge

May 4, 2013
Copenhagen
I hope our latest success in the best division is the answer to why more people are getting drafted and not just a coincidence that we have three good players in one year.

Then there are an extra good reasons to put more money in our youth development. I read somewhere that three of the established communities in hockey Denmark is investing heavily in new main arenas. I hope some juice also goes to the youth in sort of training facilities in "rural" districts.

admire

Denmark Fan
May 9, 2010
Denmark
Frans Nielsen to detroit is interesting...think he would have liked to finish with the islanders

Bagge

May 4, 2013
Copenhagen
Frans Nielsen to detroit is interesting...think he would have liked to finish with the islanders

He said in an interview that he needed a change of scenery and that was the main reason for switching to Detroit. Some big shoes to fill out after Datsyuk left.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
This is really impressive !

Fantastic news.

Cant wait to see 4 Danes with 4 new teams.

Only one im scared for is Andersen in TO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad