Denmark: Danes in the NHL 2016/2017

Bagge

May 4, 2013
Copenhagen
Not going to predict who ends where this off season. It seems like an open race for Nielsen, Bødker and Andersen.

But I was wondering, who actually sees Larsen going back to NHL besides himself? Canucks have been busy on the market for blueliners and at this point I cant see him making any kind of roster on that team, borderline at the very best. Isnt it better to continue the current trend in Jokerit instead of being d-man number 7 in Vancouver or is it just me?

admire

Denmark Fan
May 9, 2010
Denmark
Not going to predict who ends where this off season. It seems like an open race for Nielsen, Bødker and Andersen.

But I was wondering, who actually sees Larsen going back to NHL besides himself? Canucks have been busy on the market for blueliners and at this point I cant see him making any kind of roster on that team, borderline at the very best. Isnt it better to continue the current trend in Jokerit instead of being d-man number 7 in Vancouver or is it just me?

I think it's not just you...I think it's everybody but Larsen and his agent.

It seems unrealistic and stupid considering how much better he has been on big ice. He just doesn't fit in with North American hockey but he has the skills to be one of the best backs in European hockey.

Bagge

May 4, 2013
Copenhagen
Looks like Bjorkstrand has been really good in the AHL playoffs. Will be interesting to see if he makes the team next season

Valdemar

Danish junior hockey
Oct 6, 2007
Looks like Bjorkstrand has been really good in the AHL playoffs. Will be interesting to see if he makes the team next season

According to reports he has had a really good 2016. I really hope he makes the team right out of camp.

admire

Denmark Fan
May 9, 2010
Denmark
Only been hearing good things about bjorkstrand all year. He seems to be very good at adapting quickly .played well in his short time in the NHL...
Think there's a good chance of him staying get up...

Sperss1997

Oct 29, 2015
Aarhus
I have no doubt. Oliver Bjorkstrand is playing his last season in AHL. He will make the team. No one in the CBJ forum question that either.

That 3rd pick Columbus made seem more and more like a steal

Valdemar

Danish junior hockey
Oct 6, 2007
I have no doubt. Oliver Bjorkstrand is playing his last season in AHL. He will make the team. No one in the CBJ forum question that either.

That 3rd pick Columbus made seem more and more like a steal

I knew right from the draft that he would be a steal. No one questioned his abilities, but his strength (size) held him back. I remember that at the combine he was below average in upper body strength (typical for danish players with less focus on the physical part of training). But that was also a point I knew he could improve upon.

Nice article about him can be found here: Oliver Bjorkstrand

Valdemar

Danish junior hockey
Oct 6, 2007
He was also elected playoff MVP!

He now has the record for most OT GWG in a single AHL playoff with 3, and he tied the record for most GWG in a single AHL playoff with 6.

What a fantastic playoff he has had!

Sperss1997

Oct 29, 2015
Aarhus

I dont see it either. He is not a physical blueliner and that seem to hurt him on the smaller ice in NHL.

Also - Canucks are not going to be a contender the next couple of years as I see it. Playing on a bad team will not make it easier for him. On the other hand, its hard to give up your dream, when you think you have the skillset and still are young

I hope he makes the tteam and get succes. It would be nice to finally get a blueliner with succes in NHL

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
He was also elected playoff MVP!

He now has the record for most OT GWG in a single AHL playoff with 3, and he tied the record for most GWG in a single AHL playoff with 6.

What a fantastic playoff he has had!

Bjorkstrand was the Playoff MVP on the team that broke the record for fewest losses on the way to win the Calder Cup since the AHL transitioned to its modern format 20 years ago.

The team only had 2 losses. Bjorkstrand had 3 OT GWG and 6 GWG total. That's 3 times Lake Erie could have easily lost in OT and Bjorkstrand is the difference. There were doubts about his strength, but watch the OT GWG in the final game that won Lake Erie the Calder Cup. He was right in front of the goal, got a rebound, and put it past the goalie. Those are tough areas to play on the ice.

Skip to 6:27 of the video:

In his short time in the NHL this season, Bjorkstrand leads all Columbus players in Pts / 60 (points per 60 minutes of play). Basically, his rate of point production was the highest for any player on the team.

If he isn't on the opening night roster for Columbus, they really made a mistake.

admire

Denmark Fan
May 9, 2010
Denmark
Bjorkstrand was the Playoff MVP on the team that broke the record for fewest losses on the way to win the Calder Cup since the AHL transitioned to its modern format 20 years ago.

The team only had 2 losses. Bjorkstrand had 3 OT GWG and 6 GWG total. That's 3 times Lake Erie could have easily lost in OT and Bjorkstrand is the difference. There were doubts about his strength, but watch the OT GWG in the final game that won Lake Erie the Calder Cup. He was right in front of the goal, got a rebound, and put it past the goalie. Those are tough areas to play on the ice.

Skip to 6:27 of the video:

In his short time in the NHL this season, Bjorkstrand leads all Columbus players in Pts / 60 (points per 60 minutes of play). Basically, his rate of point production was the highest for any player on the team.

If he isn't on the opening night roster for Columbus, they really made a mistake.

The kid is amazingly adaptable...imagine where he would have been without the injury? Wonder if he would have ended the season in the AHL...

His eye for the game translates to all levels and he seems to get chemistry rather easily with new linemates

KingJoffrey

Jan 30, 2014
Bjork and Ehlers will bring new light to our hockey. But we still need good D prospects and Center when Frans retires.

andersej

Jul 16, 2009
Copenhagen
Frederik Andersen to Toronto for a 1st in 2016 (30th overall) and a 2nd in 2017! Wow! Even with all the improvements in Toronto over the last year, their D is still pretty weak, so Freddie will have his work cut out for him...

And just like that he signs a 5-year $25 mill. contract with his new team!

Last edited:

Bagge

May 4, 2013
Copenhagen
Frederik Andersen to Toronto for a 1st in 2016 (30th overall) and a 2nd in 2017! Wow! Even with all the improvements in Toronto over the last year, their D is still pretty weak, so Freddie will have his work cut out for him...

At least he got paid what he deserves. Lets see if the Toronto board changes their mind in november or so. Most of them doesnt seem to impressed with him. I think he will be great in Toronto and be the goaltender they never had. But still sucks to watch him leave Ducks.

At least there will be no more games setting the alarm clock to 4 am in the morning to watch him play :D

Sperss1997

Oct 29, 2015
Aarhus

Yea we can only hope they will sign atleast one top 4 blueliner. They have a bunch of draft picks to trade with.
Toronto is arguably the toughest crowd to play for. Right now they are just about the worst team out there, being a goalie under those circumstances could easily be a carreer buster. On the other hand they are going to draft Matthews and they will prob try to get Stamkos in free agency. I have my fingers crossed for Freddie and hope he will have 8-10 really good starts, keeping the fans happy and put some credit in the bank, before he gives his first softie up

NikoEhlers

May 2, 2013
Aalborg, Denmark
I think over time things will be great, Babcock will probably look to tighten the system. One can only question if they will adress their defensive needs this summer, I hope so, I also think Toronto did not get blown out so much last season, so at the very least its trending the right direction

As for the Ducks, it has been a perfect place to develop for Andersen, he's been taking big steps forward and I hope Toronto can tighten things a little so it will give him a chance to do his stuff and continue his development

Bagge, be careful what you wish for, now you will be going to bed at 4 instead ;) (if you plan to watch some of his games)

Last edited:

Bagge

May 4, 2013
Copenhagen
Bagge, be careful what you wish for, now you will be going to bed at 4 instead ;) (if you plan to watch some of his games)

My job allows me to meet in at 10, so getting to sleep at 4 am is not a problem. 5 hours of sleep is more than enough.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Wanted to post this last night.

But Hf was down.

Eller traded to Capitals, maybe this is where he finaly comes to fruition?

Sperss1997

Oct 29, 2015
Aarhus
I have wished for Eller to find another team for years. Now if finally happened. Caps wants him as 3rd line C, which is perfect for him. No more wasted time on wings for him.

Looking forward to this.

He was misused in Montreal in a way that was hard to believe. Year in year out. So frustrating

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad