Value of: Danault + Lehkonen to Avs

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Why would an elite defensive C (top10 in tue league possibly) who can score 50pts a season not be worth a late 1st and a prospect?

You do not get Danault to score. You get him so you do jot have to matchup Mack to the other team's top line. Danault shuts them down, Mack can score.

1st 2022 + Bower or Barron, anything less and it's just not worth it, and Habs will jist wait post ED to sign himback
Yeah it’s not like Kadri already does that or anything.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Why would an elite defensive C (top10 in tue league possibly) who can score 50pts a season not be worth a late 1st and a prospect?

You do not get Danault to score. You get him so you do jot have to matchup Mack to the other team's top line. Danault shuts them down, Mack can score.

1st 2022 + Bower or Barron, anything less and it's just not worth it, and Habs will jist wait post ED to sign himback
2021 1st + Bowers/Timmins is probably as high as you'll get from the Avs. Sakic has never traded a 1st though so even that idea is questionable.

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
2021 1st + Bowers/Timmins is probably as high as you'll get from the Avs. Sakic has never traded a 1st though so even that idea is questionable.

No to the 2021 1st rd pick.
2022, 2023, Habs are not interested in the 2021 draft

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
His choice is basically -

Waive for the expansion draft, and most likely spend the rest of his contract with the Avs, since Seattle should pick Graves.

or

Play hardball, force Sakic to make tough choices, and potentially end up getting traded somewhere he doesn't want to be with no chance at the Cup. Or bought out.

Why would he choose to pick a fight he's not going to win, rather than going with the win-win situation?
Cause he’s get all butthurt about being asked to waive. Duh!

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
It's very crazy. Danault is a 2nd line centre, Graves is a 3rd pairing defensemen.

Danault is a UFA on pace for just under 40 points in an 82 game season and while he is considered to be a great shut down player, I don’t think that pace dictates a second line center this year. However I agree that he’s a better player than Graves and has in the past played as a second line center. A trade comparable would be Stastny from a few seasons ago (first, prospect and a fourth).

Now Graves might be a third pairing defenseman on Colorado, but not many teams have the LHD depth that the Avs have. I would argue that while he’s having a bit of a down year compared to his rookie year, he’s a 4/5 with term on a reasonable contract. I would personally make the argument that his value is comparable to Brady Skjei, where as he might not be quite as good as Skeji, but is on a more reasonable contract and is younger than Skeji. Other examples albeit better players that are older with less term were Martinez (two seconds) and Muzzin (first and two prospects). Graves is younger, has shown that he has top4 capability and is signed for 2 more seasons after this at just under $3.2mil.

So while you might think the gap between these values of these two players is way off, I still don’t think it’s a crazy starting point.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Danault is a UFA on pace for just under 40 points in an 82 game season and while he is considered to be a great shut down player, I don’t think that pace dictates a second line center this year. However I agree that he’s a better player than Graves and has in the past played as a second line center. A trade comparable would be Stastny from a few seasons ago (first, prospect and a fourth).

Now Graves might be a third pairing defenseman on Colorado, but not many teams have the LHD depth that the Avs have. I would argue that while he’s having a bit of a down year compared to his rookie year, he’s a 4/5 with term on a reasonable contract. I would personally make the argument that his value is comparable to Brady Skjei, where as he might not be quite as good as Skeji, but is on a more reasonable contract and is younger than Skeji. Other examples albeit better players that are older with less term were Martinez (two seconds) and Muzzin (first and two prospects). Graves is younger, has shown that he has top4 capability and is signed for 2 more seasons after this at just under $3.2mil.

So while you might think the gap between these values of these two players is way off, I still don’t think it’s a crazy starting point.
No. Anyone that watches Ryan Graves will be able to tell immediately that he is nothing more than a 5/6 defensemen. He's a #4 on a really bad team, sure. But he is a 3rd pairing defensemen through and through.

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
No. Anyone that watches Ryan Graves will be able to tell immediately that he is nothing more than a 5/6 defensemen. He's a #4 on a really bad team, sure. But he is a 3rd pairing defensemen through and through.

He was a #4 on our team last season and didn’t look out of place, I think this year he’s struggled as he’s been asked to carry the bottom pairing with AHL level defenders. He’s been paired with a mix of Pateryn, Renouf, Gilbert and Timmins, with Byram the only player I would consider a legit NHL player.

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
I actually like graves but with edmundson, Weber , kulak and even chariot we need a different type of defenseman. More offensive, and not defensive. Maybe someone can start a thread for hampus lindholm

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Cause he’s get all butthurt about being asked to waive. Duh!

Oh yeah, I forgot that all professional athletes are expected to act like petulant children when it comes to dealing with the business side of the sport. I was assuming it would be a cordial conversation between Sakic and EJ's agent, with them both understanding that it's a business and that waiving his NMC for the expansion draft gives him a better chance at potentially getting his name on the Cup as a member of the Avs. My mistake.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad