Value of: Danault + Lehkonen to Avs

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I think we all know what the Avs goals are this season, so you aren't getting anyone exciting off the roster. With the Habs being in playoff position too, I don't see a fit. Hockey trade involving Graves or Compher maybe. But that's about it until the offseason.

Cypher

May 25, 2011
Edmonton
avalanche.nhl.com
Avs could probably find a replacement for Graves fairly easily at the deadline, like Nemeth or Oleksiak to name two examples. I highly doubt Bergevin wants to move Danault for Graves though so its a moot point.

Avs already have a replacement for when Graves gets picked in the expansion draft.. his name is Jacob McNorris.

Reactions: tucker3434

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
EJ has every right to decide not to waive, has he can still play at the NHL level when healthy, why would he chosse to go play on SeA when he has a chance at a cup wity COL for the reminder of his contract?

His choice is basically -

Waive for the expansion draft, and most likely spend the rest of his contract with the Avs, since Seattle should pick Graves.

or

Play hardball, force Sakic to make tough choices, and potentially end up getting traded somewhere he doesn't want to be with no chance at the Cup. Or bought out.

Why would he choose to pick a fight he's not going to win, rather than going with the win-win situation?

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I don't know why a Habs fan wants to make its own team worse (given that Graves would be the one moving).

Habsrule

Jun 13, 2004
Montreal asking for Toews for two depth players is equal to Colorado asking for Romanov for two depth players.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Avs could probably find a replacement for Graves fairly easily at the deadline, like Nemeth or Oleksiak to name two examples. I highly doubt Bergevin wants to move Danault for Graves though so its a moot point.
Nemeth? I just threw up in my mouth. Oleksiak would be expensive.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Montreal asking for Toews for two depth players is equal to Colorado asking for Romanov for two depth players.
Does this mean the next thread is Romanov for Toews?

Avs say no but more of a win now response than anything.

Edgy

Nov 30, 2009
It's ridiculous isn't it? There's a whole bunch of fans whining about him 24/7 but despite having a down season he's got comparable production to Suzuki and Kotkaniemi over the last month and a half (despite getting no PP time) , and has better 5v5 stats than either of them. He easily leads the team in plus-minus as well.
And THAT is the problem. He's producing at a similar rate as a couple of rookies. He gets no pp time because he can't produce on it. Also, he gets the most starts 3v3 and we lose every time he starts. Stop making it sound like he's Matthews and getting shafted.

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
Graves as a starter for Danalt isn’t that crazy imo. Obviously Colorado would add, but as it was said it’s not what Montreal is looking for.

Quality > Quantity

Habs do not need Graves as they won't be able to protect him anyways.

If the Avs want Danault it starts with a 1st in 2022 and a B prospect.

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
Quality > Quantity

And if the Habs wants a 2022 first for a UFA they best be ready to take cap back.

Last edited:
Reactions: Linds

Not The One

Feb 28, 2002
Montréal, Qc.
And THAT is the problem. He's producing at a similar rate as a couple of rookies. He gets no pp time because he can't produce on it. Also, he gets the most starts 3v3 and we lose every time he starts. Stop making it sound like he's Matthews and getting shafted.

If the "rookies" can't outproduce "lousy" Danault despite each getting respectively 70 and 50 more PP minutes than him... why are you trying so hard to trade Danault? It's not like he's cannibalizing their icetime either because they get all the juicy OZ starts (53 and 57% for Suzuki and KK vs 41% For Danault).

Your reasoning and your proposal make literally no sense at all, for either team.

Last edited:
Reactions: Aldo Montoya

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
I have a hard time seeing why the Avs would give up what Montreal would want. Graves certainly wouldn't do it.

Graves as a starter for Danalt isn’t that crazy imo. Obviously Colorado would add, but as it was said it’s not what Montreal is looking for.

Yes it is. There isn't any reason Montreal would want Graves.

His choice is basically -

Waive for the expansion draft, and most likely spend the rest of his contract with the Avs, since Seattle should pick Graves.

or

Play hardball, force Sakic to make tough choices, and potentially end up getting traded somewhere he doesn't want to be with no chance at the Cup. Or bought out.

Why would he choose to pick a fight he's not going to win, rather than going with the win-win situation?

I mean, Johnson has a NMC, a big contract in a flat cap world and can block being traded to 12 teams. Its really not hard for an agent with half a brain cell to make it almost impossible for him to get traded somewhere he doesn't want to.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
I have a hard time seeing why the Avs would give up what Montreal would want. Graves certainly wouldn't do it.

Yes it is. There isn't any reason Montreal would want Graves.

I mean, Johnson has a NMC, a big contract in a flat cap world and can block being traded to 12 teams. Its really not hard for an agent with half a brain cell to make it almost impossible for him to get traded somewhere he doesn't want to.
Pretty sure he'd be fine getting traded to California given that he lives there and breeds race horses there. Anyhow, if he wants to make himself impossible to move he'll just find himself bought out. $2m of dead capspace for 4 years would suck, but $4m in flexibility (or $3m if you account for Timmins being his replacement at $1m) could be extremely useful.

Reactions: IWantSakicAsMyGM

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado

It's also really not hard for an agent with half a brain cell to understand that this is a fight they cannot win. There's no scenario where he plays hardball that ends with him still on the Avs roster, and I do not believe there are other contending teams looking to sign an oft-injured 33 year old who may already be LTIRetired. His best possible outcome is waiving his NMC and staying with the Avs.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
That's unfortunate but I don't see why the Avs would be willing to part with Toews since they just recently acquired him and he's doing so well...

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
The EJ situation is pretty straight forward. Either he waives and stays in Colorado since Seattle obviously wouldn’t take him with the other options available from Colorado. Or EJ doesn’t waive, gets bought out, doesn’t get all his money and needs to find a new home.

Guess which one he’ll take.

SoulDynasty

Jan 25, 2017
Ottawa
EJ is also very loyal to the team. I think what will realistically happen is that he’ll waive and Sakic will guarantee he won’t get picked (offering a mid round draft pick to Seattle if needed).

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
Quality > Quantity

You realize Danault is a pending UFA right? Given his production this year I doubt he'll get you that kind of return. Colorado can just sign him for free in the off-season.

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
You realize Danault is a pending UFA right? Given his production this year I doubt he'll get you that kind of return. Colorado can just sign him for free in the off-season.

Why would an elite defensive C (top10 in tue league possibly) who can score 50pts a season not be worth a late 1st and a prospect?

You do not get Danault to score. You get him so you do jot have to matchup Mack to the other team's top line. Danault shuts them down, Mack can score.

1st 2022 + Bower or Barron, anything less and it's just not worth it, and Habs will jist wait post ED to sign himback

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad