Injury Report: Dan Carcillo (LBI: Out 1 Month, No Surgery)

Chris Hansen

THESE LEGS ARE FRESH
Aug 17, 2007
Don't get how you can say losing a third liner didn't make a big difference when he played on the second line with Kane and Hoss every game before his injury and the team took an immediate spiral downward following his injury.

The team spiraled because the defense was bleeding scoring chances and Crawford/Emery couldn't stop anything. Plus the team as a whole played with a rather general lack of heart. The blame for that falls on the players themselves, the coaching staff, and, of course, the team leaders. Again, if losing Dan Carcillo has such a tremendous impact on a team, then I'm very surprised as to why there weren't a slew of firings following last season. A team should not collapse just because a third/fourth line tweener who can play top-6 minutes if necessary got hurt. Fortunately that's not why the Hawks struggled. Carcillo? Seriously? :laugh:
The Hawks fell in the standings because the roster was that of an average playoff team (as opposed to a #1 seed in the conference, as they were at the time) and because the coaching was absolutely brutal. In conjunction with the former, the team's defensive woes and bad goaltending manifested themselves after being masked for the first chunk of the season. It just so happened that Carcillo got hurt at the same time. He was not a player who potentially would have mitigated the team's flaws (such as, say, a Henrik Lundqvist), nor was he a player responsible for the team's strengths (offense).

Carcillo is a bottom-six player who was thrown with Kane and Hossa because the Hawks lacked top-six talent outside the big four. He played adequately. The line functioned because it had two elite players, not because Carcillo was some wonder being.

brtriad

Jan 18, 2009
The Loop
I agree with a significant part of what you wrote. He wasn't and isn't some superhuman being divined on ice. Though he is a strong piece of glue that holds together whatever line he's thrown on. No matter what role you toss him in, he performs adamantly and gives the whole team a boost. Say what you will but every cup winning team has a few of those players.

He's valuable and we need him back ASAP.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Carcillo will be missed no doubt, but a blessing in disguise might be that it opens up more icetime for Saad. I like what I have seen from Saad as you can see he is due to really make something happen. He has played a bit tentative which you can tell as he isnt driving to the net carrying guys on his back like he did for Saginaw..but you do see the soft hands that he has as he makes some nice offensive plays around the net.

I hope Carcillo comes back soon as we will need him bigtime for the playoff run, but giving a kid like Saad more icetime might not be that bad of a deal as long as he continues to work hard and improve every night.

CPHawksFan

That's Hockey Baby!!
Jun 17, 2011
Crown Point, IN
If Saad sticks in the top 6 as it looks like he might, then Carcillo can be slotted on the 3rd line and this team looks even deeper and better than it does now.

LandofLincoln*

Carcillo at 3 weeks

Carcillo being out I think we are at the beginning of his 3rd week... Anyone hear of an update? Is Carcillo even walking around without a boot. I guess we will find out if he is skating at Johnny's this week.

Any updates on Carcillo?

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
@ChiTribHamilton: #Blackhawks winger Daniel Carcillo skated before rest of team Tuesday. Could return to practice this week, per Joel Quenneville.

TorMenT

Go Blackhawks!
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2011
Rockford, IL
Well that's good news. Hopefully they aren't rushing him back, especially since he's not really needed right now.

Chris Hansen

THESE LEGS ARE FRESH
Aug 17, 2007
At least people are going to stop using last year's fluke correlation of Carcillo's injury + the Hawks' slump as justification for how important he is.

No need to mess with the lineup. Once he's healthy there's no reason to throw him back in, all four lines have some nice chemistry going already.

CPHawksFan

That's Hockey Baby!!
Jun 17, 2011
Crown Point, IN
At least people are going to stop using last year's fluke correlation of Carcillo's injury + the Hawks' slump as justification for how important he is.

No need to mess with the lineup. Once he's healthy there's no reason to throw him back in, all four lines have some nice chemistry going already.

He's better than Bollig and better than Mayers and he should be back in when he's healthy.

Chris Hansen

THESE LEGS ARE FRESH
Aug 17, 2007
He's better than Bollig and better than Mayers and he should be back in when he's healthy.

Bollig hasn't been playing the last few games if I'm not mistaken, and Mayers is valuable for faceoffs... he's been taking quite a few for Kruger lately.

Had Bollig been in, I would agree with putting in Carcillo instead. Mayers actually serves a real purpose though.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
I agree. Plus Carcillo was one of the best on the team last year at drawing penalties.

Not only that, but for the most part, he really did a great job of staying out of the box even with the other teams would try and bait him into doing something stupid.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Agreed that he should be considered for the 4th line but also agreed that is high as he can go.

Chris Hansen

THESE LEGS ARE FRESH
Aug 17, 2007
Given the team's record and how bad their faceoff ability is after Toews, yes, Mayers plays a more important role than Carcillo would on the fourth line. No one's about to break up lines 1, 2, or 3.

DayNah

Ship it donk!
Feb 11, 2010
Carcillo will be in the line up as soon as he's ready to play. Bollig/Bickell/Mayers should sit before him.

puterwiz53

Nov 17, 2010
Saint John, New Brunswick
Mayers would not be able to play every game due to burning out and therefore Carcillo would alternate with Mayers and even replace Kruger or Frolik if they slump or start playing bad. Carcillo can also be used as a replacement on the 3rd line when need. I have a feeling tho that Q is going to play Carcillo a lot when he is healthy.

Chris Hansen

THESE LEGS ARE FRESH
Aug 17, 2007
Carcillo will be in the line up as soon as he's ready to play. Bollig/Bickell/Mayers should sit before him.

Bickell, who's been playing great hockey all season long and especially of late?

Mayers I at least get. But the love affair with Carcillo is admittedly perplexing.

DayNah

Ship it donk!
Feb 11, 2010
Bickell, who's been playing great hockey all season long and especially of late?

Mayers I at least get. But the love affair with Carcillo is admittedly perplexing.

Ill give credit where credit is due. Bickell has been playing good this year, but I wouldn't be saying great. If anything I'm hoping he's bringing up his value so we can trade him for more than a 5th round pick. Carcillo, when under control, brings a game no one else does on Chicago. He can skate/hit/fight/agitate/score goals/set up plays.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
I wouldn't say there is an extraordinary amount of love for Carcillo, he's just a better hockey player, and more of what we need in the bottom 6, than anyone else on the 4th line.

He should definitely not play over anyone on the 3rd line though.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Ill give credit where credit is due. Bickell has been playing good this year, but I wouldn't be saying great. If anything I'm hoping he's bringing up his value so we can trade him for more than a 5th round pick. Carcillo, when under control, brings a game no one else does on Chicago. He can skate/hit/fight/agitate/score goals/set up plays.

The way Bickell is playing, we should be able to get at least a 2nd and 3rd for him, much like Oduya last year.

But I'd rather keep him and re-sign him.

MTP

I Love Shinpads
Jan 19, 2010
Downers Grove, IL
The way Bickell is playing, we should be able to get at least a 2nd and 3rd for him, much like Oduya last year.

But I'd rather keep him and re-sign him.

Yep, he's getting points and bringing some physicality to the team. It's exactly what he should have started doing two years ago.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00