Damage to the Saddledome and flooding in Calgary

StreakingRed

Jan 4, 2007
Calgary, Alberta
To my fellow Calgarian HFers, were any of you affected?

I live in Cranston, far south at the edge of the city. So luckily I wasn't affected at all.

Gotta say, though. I'm so proud of my fellow Calgarians and how everyone has pulled together to help one another. I've been helping out around the affected communities with sandbagging and such, and the amount of volunteers coming out to help has been unbelievable. I freaking love this city. We will get through this and be stronger for it.

Jun 9, 2011
I'm loving that 'Hell or High Water' slogan they got going on now for the Stampede.
:handclap:

Oilers fan here, your mayor is a class act, really impressed with him. Hope everything goes better and faster than expected in the recovery.

Last edited:

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
you can find me in the dome, swimming with jarome

Way too soon. The Iginla trade is still very fresh in people's minds. :sarcasm:

But in all seriousness, Calgarians should be proud with how the community responded. Minus the odd idiotic looking for good pictures, its a miracle nobody died.

Unfortunately High River lost a few citizens. Hopefully their community pulls together and recovers well.

Thumper17

Jun 27, 2011
I'm loving that 'Hell or High Water' slogan they got going on now for the Stampede. It looks really crazy right now, but you can bet the 'show' will go on in one way or another. The river will recede and there will be crews going crazy pumping all that water out of there. I really think everyone will be really impressed with how fast and effective everything will be cleaned up, although I'm sure the 'Pede will have a little bit of a different look to it this year.

The Dome is going to be the most interesting part. As soon as they have the go ahead to start pumping it's going to be on but I'm wondering what the contingency plan is for the concerts and events coming up are.

Anyways, I have some free time so I am looking to get on to a restoration crew for this week. Perhaps I'll share my adventures if I get to be a part of Operation Saddlescrub.

1003251_547484368641263_688733964_n.jpg

I might have to make up some T-shirts for this.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
They have the largest water pumps in NA to pump put the water so I don't think it will take that long but I would be surprised if it doesn't get cancelled.

Best of luck to all of Calgary and the Flames organization.

They don't really know the extent of the damage until the water is pumped. I'd be worried about insurance. The insurance company will be saying all the right things at this point, wait until the damage is revealed. Generally overland flooding and "acts of God" like a rainstorm would not be covered. Maybe the Flames/city have extended coverage.

The biggest job could be mold abatement.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Best of luck to all of Calgary and the Flames organization.

They don't really know the extent of the damage until the water is pumped. I'd be worried about insurance. The insurance company will be saying all the right things at this point, wait until the damage is revealed. Generally overland flooding and "acts of God" like a rainstorm would not be covered. Maybe the Flames/city have extended coverage.

The biggest job could be mold abatement.

Commercial property is covered, private property is not.

Archangel

Oct 15, 2011
Vancouver
Calgary Stampede officials asked for 250 volunteers to help clean up the Stampede grounds and 2500 showed up!:handclap:

gotta love that

Talked with a buddy who works at the Arena here in Vancouver and he says based upon early reports from the Saddledome is that the damage can be repaired within 2 months

timekeep

Apr 28, 2010
Heard on Global Edmonton that they still plan to have the concerts in Saddledome during Stampede. Did I hear that right? Would be an amazing feat as all those seats were under some nasty water.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
The Flames have said the decapitated floating head of Harvey was just from the backup costume. HE'S ALIIIIVE!!!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad