Damage to the Saddledome and flooding in Calgary

JSR84

Displaced Jets fan.
May 31, 2011
Victoria
Winnipeg fan wishing everyone in Calgary a speedy recovery. I hope every Winnipeg resident realizes how lucky they are to have the floodway!

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Getting the Saddledome game ready may not be a crapton of work, it'll be the "bells and whistles" (jumbotron controls, restaurants, upholstered seats, etc) that might take more time.
exactly. replace the seats, new dressing rooms, fix the ice plant, fix electrical and replace boards and it's more or less game ready. the luxuries for fans will take longer

BRobMint

Formerly known as Hockey Ninja
Apr 24, 2013
Cleveland, OH (Grew up in Calgary)
Gallery of the flooded dome:

http://flames.nhl.com/club/gallery.htm?id=36968&navid=DL|CGY|home

The money shot:

IMG_7583_slide.jpg

RoboNerdOK

HFBoards Snarkster
Jun 30, 2011
Oklahoma City Metro
The mayor seems really on top of things. I was just watching the live news feed. How has he been up to this point?

Also -- seems rather young for a mayor of a 1+ million population centre.

Bouma Fett*

Booty Hunter
May 19, 2012
Calgary
He is young for a mayor. But in his campaign, he heavily used social media, and then given that he used to teach college, he appealed to the younger crowd, he managed to get a much higher voter turnout than usual for mayor, and more youth interest thanever before.

And like Nenshi or not, through the entire process here he has been excellent

AfricanHerbsman

May 4, 2010
He is young for a mayor. But in his campaign, he heavily used social media, and then given that he used to teach college, he appealed to the younger crowd, he managed to get a much higher voter turnout than usual for mayor, and more youth interest thanever before.

And he doesn't smoke crack

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary

True. But the early 80's red golf shirt tells me that he needs a new stylist. When all this is said and done he'll have to go down to West Munro LA and get some advice from the Robertson boys. I'm sure Uncle Si will show him the ropes.

Edit: Somebody must agree with me because I see he's already changed it.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
And he doesn't smoke crack

One of the weird things about Nenshi's election was the number of people I know who said that we elected Toronto's mayor and Toronto elected ours. It was like an old Star Trek episode where the captains from different universes got switched.

In this current situation I'm glad we have who we have as mayor. I'd really not like to think of what would have happened with Ford in the captain's chair.

Habsfunk

Jan 11, 2003
BC
Visit site
I made the drive from Revelstoke to Calgary on Thursday for Sled Island. Got in one night of shows before they cancelled the festival. D'oh!

I made it home safely. Good luck to everyone still there. It was pretty awesome (in the most literal sense) to see the devastation, both in person and on TV.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
I made the drive from Revelstoke to Calgary on Thursday for Sled Island. Got in one night of shows before they cancelled the festival. D'oh!

I made it home safely. Good luck to everyone still there. It was pretty awesome (in the most literal sense) to see the devastation, both in person and on TV.

I was supposed to go see J&MC today, too bad things worked out the way they did. Such a small issue right now though, when I think about all the people who lost their homes.

jg39

SFY is great
Aug 16, 2007
NC
Lightning fan wishing all residents of Calgary well...hockey is hardly important at a time like this. Be safe, and know that lots of people are thinking of and praying for your city.

Dream Big

Jun 10, 2005
Axis Mundi

What was the road like between Revelstoke and Calgary? Any washouts? I hope everyone is safe. Will Stampede be affected?

Archangel

Oct 15, 2011
Vancouver
The saddledome is to host an event in ten days. this could be fun to see if they pull it off. Do not see how the stampede can go on with all the trouble that is currently going

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY
From Utica, NY wishing Calgary some sunshine and the best of luck in getting your fine city restored to it's previous beautiful state.

McDrailers

Apr 13, 2013
Newfoundland
Watching TSN this morning the president of the flames said they are not cancelling any events including that fair? thats supposed to happen in the saddledome for the stampede next week. Won't it take that long to simply pump the water?

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Watching TSN this morning the president of the flames said they are not cancelling any events including that fair? thats supposed to happen in the saddledome for the stampede next week. Won't it take that long to simply pump the water?

They have the largest water pumps in NA to pump put the water so I don't think it will take that long but I would be surprised if it doesn't get cancelled.

J Murda

Oct 1, 2008
Calgary, Alberta
I'm loving that 'Hell or High Water' slogan they got going on now for the Stampede. It looks really crazy right now, but you can bet the 'show' will go on in one way or another. The river will recede and there will be crews going crazy pumping all that water out of there. I really think everyone will be really impressed with how fast and effective everything will be cleaned up, although I'm sure the 'Pede will have a little bit of a different look to it this year.

The Dome is going to be the most interesting part. As soon as they have the go ahead to start pumping it's going to be on but I'm wondering what the contingency plan is for the concerts and events coming up are.

Anyways, I have some free time so I am looking to get on to a restoration crew for this week. Perhaps I'll share my adventures if I get to be a part of Operation Saddlescrub.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
They have the largest water pumps in NA to pump put the water so I don't think it will take that long but I would be surprised if it doesn't get cancelled.

What about power? CBC is reporting that one power station (The one that feeds downtown) has completely crapped out while the army is trying to save a second. Do either of these stations power the stampede grounds and can the power be rerouted in time? I guess those are some important questions right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad