Rumor: Dallas very interested in Seth Jones, John Klingberg in discussions

NYVanfan

Mar 27, 2002
Visit site
Jones is a coming UFA, so what are the chances he extends in Van?

i dunno, are they markedly worse vs elsewhere?

next summer the canucks shed $15M in garbage cap in Ericksson, Beagle, Roussel and Luongo (can you believe we're still paying for that guy?) ... so shouldnt be impossible, and they definitely need D help

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
Klingberg is better.

Seth Jones reputation is mystifying.

He built his reputation during Columbus' big playoff wins against Toronto and Tampa. He hasn't really been a consistent world beater outside of that. I think there's also an element of his original draft hype where there were serious debates of Jones vs McKinnon as #1.

NYVanfan

Mar 27, 2002
Visit site
If im CBJ, Klingberg doesnt work for me, good as he is. This will be a years-long rebuild, need <25 guys
Kling 29 next summer and a UFA, how does that help them?
If I'm BJs I ask for Harley-Robertson (sounds cool too)

Frozen Failure

They got business in my hockey, and I hate it.
Nov 13, 2007
DFW
I take Jones at whatever equivalent dollars over Klingberg. Love Klingberg but I think the whole Jones package makes Dallas better as an actual hockey team.

Magic Mittens

Nov 2, 2006
Calgary
i dunno, are they markedly worse vs elsewhere?

next summer the canucks shed $15M in garbage cap in Ericksson, Beagle, Roussel and Luongo (can you believe we're still paying for that guy?) ... so shouldnt be impossible, and they definitely need D help

Someone on here was saying Jones won’t sign with a Canadian team. Not sure how true that is, just passing it on

serp

Jan 17, 2016

Friedman didn't say that. He said that teams asked Dallas if they would move Klingberg in the case he wouldn't sign. He did not say he thinks Stars can't sign Klingberg just that teams asked about that.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Isn't Klingberg a UFA in a year? How does this possibly make sense for CBJ? Are both Klingberg and Jones signing extensions with their new teams? I have never seen that before in a trade.

There's gotta be more assets moving than Klingberg for Jones.

Klingberg + Gurianov (or something similar?)

for

Jones

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
He built his reputation during Columbus' big playoff wins against Toronto and Tampa. He hasn't really been a consistent world beater outside of that. I think there's also an element of his original draft hype where there were serious debates of Jones vs McKinnon as #1.

I wouldn't say that's true. He had an excellent four year stretch until this year. The question is whether this year was an outlier or a sign of things to come. Again, this is a player that has much more value in NHL circles than on HF.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

serp

Jan 17, 2016
There's gotta be more assets moving than Klingberg for Jones.

Klingberg + Gurianov (or something similar?)

for

Jones

They're pretty close in value imho. The difference is in well re-signabilty. I'd add conditional picks if Jones re-signs but nothing guaranteed until Jones is extended. Other roster players would not be part of the deal.

Reactions: FirstRowUpperDeck

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
They're pretty close in value imho. The difference is in well re-signabilty. I'd add conditional picks if Jones re-signs but nothing guaranteed until Jones is extended. Other roster players would not be part of the deal.

Yup. I think based on reading this thread any reasonable person would come to that conclusion. 50% of the people post that Klingberg is better, 50% of the people post that Jones is better.

Pretty much summarizes they are very close in value.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
... I'd add conditional picks if Jones re-signs but nothing guaranteed until Jones is extended. ...
Not sure such condition still allowed, related rules changed recently

TSA0402

Apr 4, 2011
Ottawa
I'd rather keep Seth as a ufa than klingberg. Even the possibility of extending klingberg gotta come at a high price tag. Not to mention Werenski and him is shades of Karlsson and Burns. Might be the best retool option though...

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
Yup. I think based on reading this thread any reasonable person would come to that conclusion. 50% of the people post that Klingberg is better, 50% of the people post that Jones is better.

Pretty much summarizes they are very close in value.
Nobody’s really saying anything bad about klingberg though . A few cbj fans have some serious criticism for Jones though . Worry’s me a bit .

Smart Alek

Jul 13, 2002

That's all this is: Draft hype, and the expected potential that comes with it..

I love Seth Jones as a player, but in no world would I rate him above Klingberg, either offensively or defensively.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad