Rumor: Dallas very interested in Seth Jones, John Klingberg in discussions

Dynamite Time

Where Is My Mind?
Jan 23, 2018
Austin, TX
If they were moved for each other of course Jones would be signing a new contract.

Heiskanen - Jones
Lindell - ??????

Last edited:

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
Seems like a lateral move
Seth Jones is better
But Klingberg IMO is still damn good

I think the big selling point for Dallas here would be that Jones is two years younger.

Klingberg is 28, and looking for fat term and fat money. His first deal was an obvious steal for Dallas, so now he is going to want to cash in.. and I hate giving late 20's players big term because year four of the deal he is going to decline heavy.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Why would Columbus entertain this exactly?

28 year old guy looking for a big contract and Columbus isn't exactly looking like a playoff team in the near future. Atleast not more than a bubble team at best.
So whats the incentive for Columbus to take Klingberg as part of the deal? 3 team trade that has Klingberg going for futures somewhere else?

And why would Klingberg even want to sign an extension with Columbus?
And if he isn't, why the hell would Columbus even think about it?

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
Isn't Klingberg a UFA in a year? How does this possibly make sense for CBJ? Are both Klingberg and Jones signing extensions with their new teams? I have never seen that before in a trade.

Reactions: I3LI3

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
Isn't Klingberg a UFA in a year? How does this possibly make sense for CBJ? Are both Klingberg and Jones signing extensions with their new teams? I have never seen that before in a trade.

I don't see why Klingberg would sign there, not now.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Yeah if Jarmo wants to give Klingberg 8 x $8,000,000 or 8 x $8,500,000 and then needs to also worry about giving Zach Werenski a huge contract on top of it.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Columbus flipping Klingberg to someone else is the only way this one makes sense to me tbh

which seems unnecessary

Jones is going to get a better return

Zrhutch

Mar 26, 2013
Texas

Next tweet tells me that Klingberg is who CBJ wants (fair), and the Stars aren’t biting. This feels like Miro for Karlsson again.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I'd gleefully take Klingberg as is and extend him, assuming he's willing. We need that position filled one way or the other and he's a quality defenseman. The motivation from our perspective would be long-term uncertainty with Jones versus long-term certainty with Klingberg, despite the slight age difference.

We're not strictly wedded to a full rebuild. That's been seen as the most likely scenario, but it's not the only one.

TheNorthStars

Stars/Leafs
Sep 3, 2018
I believe every team with cap space is very interested in Jones. Id take him on the Stars personally but not if we have to spend any extra assets on a Klingberg/Jones swap. Rather spend the money on some goalscoring depth.

Reactions: abo9

Dynamite Time

Where Is My Mind?
Jan 23, 2018
Austin, TX
Not sure why Dallas would do that to be honest... other than contract negotiations to come.
If a trade is made and Jones signs a reasonable deal and gets back to his game, it would put Heiskanen on his natural side.

Heiskanen - Jones as our top pair along with Lindell and someone else to round out our top 4 looks good. Would hate to lose Klingberg but it’s a business.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Both haven't been good of late. Seems like a lateral move, change of scenery type of trade.

Though I'd much rather have Klingberg and his offensive skill set. More likely to have an elite year than Jones.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad