Confirmed with Link: Dallas trades James Neal and Matt Niskanen to Penguins for Alex Goligoski.

MetalGodAOD*

Hah yeah that gave me a chuckle. I think what he said was "He is so happy to be out of Dallas and into a positive coaching environment."

Basically Pierre was calling out Crawford.

Which is funny because all Crawford has been is a nice guy coach since he got here.

The media acting like Niskanen had no chance in Dallas is annoying. The guy sat on the first PP unit for 40 games and racked up a whopping 5 points. Crawford and the coaching staff gave him every opportunity he didn't deserved, and he blew it.

GLM

Aug 2, 2005
nisky tried to cover someone, if you watch the whole play, phaneuf went end to end. jordan staal twice had the opportunity to lay a run of the mill body check once at center ice and once along the boards in the pens zone, but instead staal decided to skate side by side phaneuf. awful decision on staals part imo. he bumps phaneuf and the play never happens.

nisky was out of position, but the play should have never happened imo.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
Bylsma said in the post game interview that Niskanen didn't blow his assignment on that play. I guess he thought Staal should have covered Grabovski when Niskanen moved over to cut off Phaneuf.

Anyway, it's nice to see the deal is working out well for both sides so far. :)

Ambassador Of Fun

Jun 23, 2010
So, with the Crosby multiplier Neal would have scored roughly 19 goals and 19 assists tonight. I'm doing this right, no?

vecens24

Jun 1, 2009
Neal's beast mode is Jamie Benn's hangover recovery mode. :sarcasm:

Come on now let's not go crazy. Neal's banging 7 gram rocks thats how he rolls. He has one gear: go. He's not bi-polar, he's bi-Winning. He's a total frickin rockstar from Mars. Winning. Come on bro he has tiger blood. Winning. If Benn borrowed his brain, he'd be like dude can't handle it. Winning. Winning. Winning Winning.

But seriously. He played a beast of a game tonight. He's been all over the ice for us since acquiring him. Then again, we're not used to a winger actually making legitimate contributions on a night in, night out basis.

So, with the Crosby multiplier Neal would have scored roughly 19 goals and 19 assists tonight. I'm doing this right, no?

Incorrect. With the Crosby multiplier I think you're realistically looking at a solid 16 goals and 43.5 assists (I figure half of Crosby's number makes sense). So just a shade over Staal's career high in points for those counting at home.:)

Spotty 2 Hotty

Special teams, special plays, special players
Feb 28, 2008
ATX
Come on now let's not go crazy. Neal's banging 7 gram rocks thats how he rolls. He has one gear: go. He's not bi-polar, he's bi-Winning. He's a total frickin rockstar from Mars. Winning. Come on bro he has tiger blood. Winning. If Benn borrowed his brain, he'd be like dude can't handle it. Winning. Winning. Winning Winning.

But seriously. He played a beast of a game tonight. He's been all over the ice for us since acquiring him. Then again, we're not used to a winger actually making legitimate contributions on a night in, night out basis.

I didn't get to watch the game, just saw the highlights, but I'm glad to see Neal get a couple of points (though his goal was pretty weak, IMO, lol). Should be interesting to see how he does if he meshes with Crosby next season.

I've really enjoyed Goligoski on our end, 1g 5a in 7 games with a +5 rating; he's definitely done pretty well thus far.

vecens24

Jun 1, 2009
I didn't get to watch the game, just saw the highlights, but I'm glad to see Neal get a couple of points (though his goal was pretty weak, IMO, lol). Should be interesting to see how he does if he meshes with Crosby next season.

I've really enjoyed Goligoski on our end, 1g 5a in 7 games with a +5 rating; he's definitely done pretty well thus far.

Hahah yeah....don't care how weak it was at this point I think it's just a load off of his back. He needed that becuase he's been contributing in every other way so far.

Goligoski is absurdly underrated on these boards. There's a decent chance he turns into a Rafalski kind of guy (probably not as good becasue I think there's an outside chance Rafalski ends up in the HOF witha couple more years, but at his peak he might be close just won't have the longevity). Hard to give up on that potential, but that's how bad you know the winger situation is in Pittsburgh. I've always been on the "trade Goligoski" bandwagon, but it was becasue I knew he'd bring someone like Neal. This should legitimately be a good deal for both teams.

Gold Diamond

Watermarks
Jul 11, 2008
Coatesville, PA
I miss Gogo, but he was being buried on the bottom pairing in Pittsburgh. Niskanen has been nothing but solid since we acquired him, making only a few mental errors every now and then (which Gogo was prone to do sometimes).

Having a skilled winger like Neal come over in this trade is just ****ing gravy. I hope Gogo develops into a top pairing Dman for you guys.

StarsFan74

Apr 27, 2010
Dallas, TX
Niskanen has been nothing but solid since we acquired him, making only a few mental errors every now and then (which Gogo was prone to do sometimes).

In all honesty, Niskanen is more likely of putting up a vastly improved performance than Neal since he doesn't have the inconsistency issues Neal suffers from and he also has the benefit of slipping into a defensively deep squad where he is not expected to provide offense, like he was in Dallas. If he plays a solid no.5 or 6 game, chipping in offensively every now and then, that'd satisfy a lot of the Pens' faithful.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Gogo is already playing like a #1 or 2 d-man for us.

Pens fans (and a few bright Dallas fans ;)) figured that Gogs would thrive if he was dealt to a team where he was higher on the depth chart. He's just that smart a player. Not bad for a guy who a good portion of HF wrote off as a rich man's MAB/3rd pairing defenseman/product of Crosby.

In spite of being snakebitten Neal's been very good for us. Hitting a ton (rocking Chara in the process), playing well defensively, and generally fitting Bylsma's style like a glove, and Niskanen's been much better than advertised too...a solid all-around 3rd pairing guy so far.

This trade has the potential to be one of those rare deals that truly benefits both teams. I hope nothing but the best for Gogs in Dallas.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
Pens fans (and a few bright Dallas fans ;)) figured that Gogs would thrive if he was dealt to a team where he was higher on the depth chart. He's just that smart a player. Not bad for a guy who a good portion of HF wrote off as a rich man's MAB/3rd pairing defenseman/product of Crosby.

In spite of being snakebitten Neal's been very good for us. Hitting a ton (rocking Chara in the process), playing well defensively, and generally fitting Bylsma's style like a glove, and Niskanen's been much better than advertised too...a solid all-around 3rd pairing guy so far.

This trade has the potential to be one of those rare deals that truly benefits both teams. I hope nothing but the best for Gogs in Dallas.

Yeah, glad to hear Gogo is doing well here. I think both sides can be very satisfied with this trade. Niskanen has exceeded my expectations and continues to improve, but that wasn't going to happen in Dallas. Same for Gogo.

Neal definitely had a sick game on Tuesday. Nasty. Really could have had five points if Kunitz and Letestu finished and he got an assist on the other goal... maybe I'm stretching.

MBTendy

May 6, 2009
Neal 10GP has 3 points (1 goal and 3 assists) and is a +3
Gogo 13GP has 9 points (2 goals and 7 assists) and is a +7

Cin

Eurosnob.
Feb 29, 2008
Austin, TX
Well it's time for me to eat crow. This trade was awesome, and really has worked out awesome for us. I figured he was too small and would lose confidence just like Niskanen.

You're awesome Goose.

starshockeyfan56

Aug 2, 2005
The Xcalibur
I think his numbers will improve a lot when crosby comes back.

I hear a lot of people saying that, and while certainly not unreasonable, it isn't as if he was playing with a pedestrian center in Richards. I'll be very interested to see what really happens when he and Crosby start playing together.

Stars99Lobo37

May 9, 2004
Sec 314 - Richardson
I hear a lot of people saying that, and while certainly not unreasonable, it isn't as if he was playing with a pedestrian center in Richards.

Agreed.

Seriously, Crosby is one of the best players in the world. The complete obvious is that he will get more points with him than without, just as it was with Richards. If he doesn't, well...there ya go.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00