Confirmed with Link: Dallas trades James Neal and Matt Niskanen to Penguins for Alex Goligoski.

AquaticBirdman

Sep 25, 2007
Montreal, Canada
I wondered what blacknyellow meant by that exactly. At first I thought he meant that Robidas has taken his game to another level since he (Robidas) joined (in this case re-joined) the Stars...or how you took it.

Either way, this trade will probably go down as a "good" one for both sides. I don't think Neal will end up the supa stud so many Pens fans think, nor do I think Goligoski is the second coming of Zubov. Both teams made their teams better though.

That's pretty much what i meant. Robidas always had a lot of potential prior to joining Dallas, but it never really started to shine through until he finally joined the Stars. Since then, he's really seemed to develop into a solid overall dman. I can see the same thing happening to Gogo, as he'll now be in an environment where he'll be given more responsibility, and thus his overall game will grow as a result.

mgd525

May 18, 2007
Neal has looked really good at times and Meh. I'm not worried about him though. If he plays like he has the points will come. He's had some bad luck with bounces and got robbed a few times. His skill set is perfect for Malkin or Crosby. He will be very good with them. Right now he's playing with Kovy and Staal. He looks pretty good with Kovy. Kovy has been REALLY(for what he is) good since comming back. However Kovy has played 2 games with us and Neal is new as well. Throw in the fact Jordan Staal is freaking lost playing with skilled players....I'm not worried at all. I can't tell you how bad Staal has looked with those 2 wingers. I'm telling you it's bad. When Crosby(if this year) comes back Neal is going to score alot of goals with his release.

Nisky- He has been better in every game he's played in. Other than the Famous world class turnover vs SJ he has looked good. I think the PEnguins syle will fit him very well. He played over 20 minutes vs Tor and didn't have a goal against him in a 6-5 win. He has made a few nice pases as well.

Glad to hear GOGO is doing well for you. I really hope you guys can make the playoffs because I want to see how he plays. IN the past he has been god awful in the playoffs for us but he isn't the same player he was then either. Just wondering how he will do now.

Last edited:

LordHelmet

May 19, 2004
Twin Cities
Yeah, but the EN assist was at really a important point in a really important game. I don't like when people downplay EN stats, particularly assists. Those are some of the more important points in a game because they (usually) salt away two points. I mean, I'd rather see a guy with a lot of EN goals than a lot of 7th goals in 7-1 games. Guys with EN points are trusted to be out in a close game late, are able to work the puck through an outnumbered situation and are coming through in the clutch.
Agreed. EN goals are often pretty easy, but EN assists are extremely difficult. You're short handed. You have 6 guys attacking you more aggressively than at any other time in the game. It's tough enough to clear the puck, much less making a first pass out of the zone that beats the pressure and frees a teammate up to score.

Goligoski's EN assist was a thing of beauty. He could've just thrown the puck out. Most of us would've been fine with that. But no, he saw what was developing and made a creative bank pass that set the goal up.

Happy Penguin

Nov 24, 2008
You guys will love Gogo. At the start of this season it looked more like he would have his break out season rather than Letang. Then Gogo cooled off a little and Letang took off like a meteor. But after watching Gogo for the past few seasons he is more than capable of doing the same thing.

Gogo is a very gifted skater. He has a good one timer and he's really been pulling the trigger a lot more lately. His confidence has been building each season. He seems like he's right on the edge of having a breakout season. He's good at a PPQB and a good puck carrying dman.

He's a little small for a dman but he still can play physical. He has defensive lapses at times but then again so did Letang prior to this season. He was considered a #5 dman on the Pens but the Pens are very deep on the blueline. But I never felt Gogo was really inferior to the other dmen we play. He just had a different skillset. He's an offensive dman.

I thought the deal for Neal was a good trade for both clubs. Although I was surprised Dallas included Misky but to me that seems like like a move to open up cap space. And he hadn't been playing from what I heard. I guess in a month or so from now we'll see how the deal shaped up

MBTendy

May 6, 2009
I mean, look at Coyotes. Still no buyer and it's been more than a year. I think 2?
But I never understood why Hick wants to sell the team? He sold the Rangers, didn't he get money? Or is there more to it.
Also if we make the playoffs and have a good run, it would help the sell a lot I would think.

Frozen Failure

They got business in my hockey, and I hate it.
Nov 13, 2007
DFW
I mean, look at Coyotes. Still no buyer and it's been more than a year. I think 2?
But I never understood why Hick wants to sell the team? He sold the Rangers, didn't he get money? Or is there more to it.
Also if we make the playoffs and have a good run, it would help the sell a lot I would think.

No one wants Phoenix because they're losing way more money than we are. We're different... we have success and corporate support and some hockey fans left...

ScubaSteve*

The Dallas Stars haven't been owned by Tom Hicks in close to a year.

MBTendy

May 6, 2009
The Dallas Stars haven't been owned by Tom Hicks in close to a year.

So who owns the team? The NHL? And why is it such a long process, never understood these types of situation.
We've had some interest from groups in the past when it was for sale, yet they end up walking away..

Stars99Lobo37

May 9, 2004
Sec 314 - Richardson
Neal and Niskanen comment on the trade...

http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/id/5222/james-neal-had-handy-insight-into-pens

"It was a total shocker," said Neal. "I had no clue."

But he said he left on good terms with Stars GM Joe Nieuwendyk, the two both Whitby, Ontario, natives that have a terrific relationship, Neal said. And any rumor that suggests he wasn't seeing eye to eye with head coach Marc Crawford he says is also untrue.

"No, nothing," Neal said. "Everything was great in Dallas. That's mainly why it was a shock. But they wanted a puck-moving defenseman, [Alex] Goligoski is the guy they wanted and you have to give up something to get something."

Nieuwendyk has taken some heat for the move, but people should realize how rare and valuable young, puck-moving blueliners are in this league. Still, moving a 23-year-old power winger who's already scored 72 goals in his 217 NHL games was an eye-popper.

"I was real surprised," said blueliner Matt Niskanen, who was also in the deal from Dallas to Pittsburgh. "James was a key player on the top line in Dallas. He did a lot of dirty work for that top line. He's a big power forward that really likes to forecheck. And he's got that game-breaking shot, a quick release with lots of mustard on it. He can change the game with one shot. He's a real impact player and I think Pittsburgh is real lucky to have him now."

DaStars99

Purdue Alumnus
Feb 6, 2007
Dallas
that is funny, I however am not completely surprised. Nisky has played fairly decently since the trade and Neal is well Neal.

Harv

R.I.P. Pavol.
Dec 30, 2007
Niskanen strikes again. Homerun breakaway pass on the tape of the forward for a breakaway goal.

Kid is playing really well.

vofty

Mar 2, 2008
TX
I hope Niskanen has found his groove and he certainly is playing better, but to be fair Neal has always needed a setup man and Pittsburghs are both currently out but from all accounts Neal has played pretty solid as well.

starsfan4ever

May 21, 2008
Niskanen was never going to do that here. He regressed each and every single game, and flat out stunk. Goligoski has looked 100x better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad