Confirmed with Link: Dallas trades James Neal and Matt Niskanen to Penguins for Alex Goligoski.

Stars99Lobo37

May 9, 2004
Sec 314 - Richardson
Pierre apparently has a serious hard on for Niskanen for whatever reason.

Mentioned during the deadline thing on TSN how big of a pick up Niskanen was for Pittsburgh.
Then tonight, after his goal, mentioned just how RELIEVED Niskanen was to be out of Dallas.

*rolls eyes*

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Didn't catch Niskanen's points tonight but noticed that he was Pierre's "Monster of the Game", only to lose his man on the GWG in OT.

He didn't lose his man. Niskanen was covering Phaneuf on the side boards...if he had left him, Phaneuf would've just skated in on Fleury unimpeded. Staal and Neal chasing one man at the point is what left Grabovski alone in front.

Niskanen had a great game in every zone. Conversely, Letang looked like most Stars fans had said Niskanen would look. ;)

eartotheground

capslock broken
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2006
Helsinki South
He didn't lose his man. Niskanen was covering Phaneuf on the side boards...if he had left him, Phaneuf would've just skated in on Fleury unimpeded. Staal and Neal chasing one man at the point is what left Grabovski alone in front.

Niskanen had a great game in every zone. Conversely, Letang looked like most Stars fans had said Niskanen would look. ;)

um, i'm not byslma, but i'm pretty sure nisky was supposed to rotate down to the net there.

and wtf letang? what a miserable game :(

edit: he certainly wasn't supposed to be standing still and puck watching.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
um, i'm not byslma, but i'm pretty sure nisky was supposed to rotate down to the net there.

and wtf letang? what a miserable game :(

edit: he certainly wasn't supposed to be standing still and puck watching.

So Staal and Neal are both supposed to be covering one guy?

Whatever the "man" assignments, Nisky had his guy and two Pens had one Leaf. That left Grabovski wide open and Niskanen playing catch-up at the end.

And yeah, Letang was horrendous. He shouldn't be playing his off-side, but injuries and an overabundance of righties forced him into it.

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
Whatever the case, we can now safely say that Chris Conner was the key to Niskanen's game, not Zubov.

MBTendy

May 6, 2009
Pretty much. :laugh:

How much longer before they go fishing for goalies and sign Stephan? Maybe his calming presence in goal can fire up Neal. :sarcasm:

Yeah sign Stephan Pens please!! I always loved that guy, he deserves another chance lol, but doubt will ever see him in the NHL again:cry:

beardedgraf

Nov 4, 2008
Dallas
Whatever the case, we can now safely say that Chris Conner was the key to Niskanen's game, not Zubov.

That is great, lol.

Anyways, I hope Niskanen keeps up his decent play. Playing better than he had in two years apparently. Good for him, but all it takes is a couple bad plays for him to completely lose it.

Kritter471

Feb 17, 2005
Dallas
So Staal and Neal are both supposed to be covering one guy?

Whatever the "man" assignments, Nisky had his guy and two Pens had one Leaf. That left Grabovski wide open and Niskanen playing catch-up at the end.

And yeah, Letang was horrendous. He shouldn't be playing his off-side, but injuries and an overabundance of righties forced him into it.
Niskanen had a man, not his man. Not the same thing and not nearly as defensible.

But no, defensive decision making has never been Neal's strong point either.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
Pierre apparently has a serious hard on for Niskanen for whatever reason.

Mentioned during the deadline thing on TSN how big of a pick up Niskanen was for Pittsburgh.
Then tonight, after his goal, mentioned just how RELIEVED Niskanen was to be out of Dallas.

*rolls eyes*

My theory is that it's easy to say that Neal is a good young player who could fill a pressing need within the Penguins organization for years to come. You don't get any cool points for that. Now, if he's the first to get out the knee pads for Niskanen and Nisky baby manages to turn things around, well then that's why Pierre gets the big bucks.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Niskanen had a man, not his man. Not the same thing and not nearly as defensible.

But no, defensive decision making has never been Neal's strong point either.

Do you have Bylsma's defensive assignments in front of you?

As ColePens (one of our best posters) said on our post-game:

By the way - the OT mistake was made by Jordan Staal. That is his guy. He actually went to him then veered right back off. There was some confusion between Neal/Staal on who was picking him up. 4 on 4 plays man-to-man. That was 100% Jordan Staal's man.

Staal was on Grabs, then left him, which threw everything into disorder.

I know some Stars fans want to engage in a little schadenfreude regarding Niskanen (only natural considering the 2-for-1 nature of the deal), but he played very well last night (2nd star), and the OT goal wasn't his fault.

Last edited:

TangoMcBride

Feb 28, 2008
The DF Dub
Do you have Bylsma's defensive assignments in front of you?

As ColePens (one of our best posters) said on our post-game:

Staal was on Grabs, then left him, which threw everything into disorder.

I know some Stars fans want to engage in a little schadenfreude regarding Niskanen (only natural considering the 2-for-1 nature of the deal), but he played very well last night (2nd star), and the OT goal wasn't his fault.

You can try and rationalize it all you want. That is vintage Niskanen, plain and simple. We've watched him make mistakes like that for the past 3 years. Bad habits die hard, they don't magically and instantaneously disappear in a matter of days or weeks.

BeaverSports

Mar 3, 2004
I can't pin that one on Niskanen when two forwards are standing there not picking up any assignments at all, if he's the one out playing Phaneuf on the boards, someone else has to be aware that another Leaf is likely to slide down. That goal wasn't on one guy, it was on the communication in the Pens' zone coverage completely breaking down. They're all to blame.

starsfan4ever

May 21, 2008
Being the mental midget he is, Niskanen is likely to lose all confidence from his recent positive play.

Expect a 10 game slide from him now.

Caseman

Jan 23, 2008
San Jose, CA
Why are Penguin fans so enthralled with glorifying Niskanen? OK, he's a TERRIFIC bottom-rung defenseman. WOW! You know what he was here? A healthy scratch. So whatever he does in Pittsburgh is moot because he was not doing it here. Guess what: his rookie year here was awesome! And then he regressed and regressed and grew horrible facial hair. So enjoy him Pittsburgh fans, but please, enjoy him to yourselves. I don't care what happens to Niskanen and his mouth-breathing ways.

Smelling Salt

Busey is life
Mar 8, 2006
Winnipeg

*rolls eyes*

Hah yeah that gave me a chuckle. I think what he said was "He is so happy to be out of Dallas and into a positive coaching environment."

Basically Pierre was calling out Crawford.

txomisc

Mar 18, 2002
California
Visit site
Why are Penguin fans so enthralled with glorifying Niskanen? OK, he's a TERRIFIC bottom-rung defenseman. WOW! You know what he was here? A healthy scratch. So whatever he does in Pittsburgh is moot because he was not doing it here. Guess what: his rookie year here was awesome! And then he regressed and regressed and grew horrible facial hair. So enjoy him Pittsburgh fans, but please, enjoy him to yourselves. I don't care what happens to Niskanen and his mouth-breathing ways.
Then don't read about him? Some of would like to see how he develops and if he ends up being less crappy than he was here. You don't have to get all prissy because Pens fans don't think he is the antichrist and would like to discuss his game.

Caseman

Jan 23, 2008
San Jose, CA
Then don't read about him? Some of would like to see how he develops and if he ends up being less crappy than he was here. You don't have to get all prissy because Pens fans don't think he is the antichrist and would like to discuss his game.
I didn't say I spoke for anyone but myself, so follow your own advice if you find my opinion of someone with fire-breathing fists and poetic fingertips (I can hyperbole too!)

So discuss away. Enjoy.

Last edited:

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I didn't say I spoke for anyone but myself, so follow your own advice if you find my opinion of someone with fire-breathing fists and poetic fingertips (I can hyperbole too!)

So discuss away. Enjoy.

I would assume that a thread which has the player's name in the title would contain information about him.

You can try and rationalize it all you want. That is vintage Niskanen, plain and simple.

I don't mind, because I don't see that play as his fault.

Bad habits die hard, they don't magically and instantaneously disappear in a matter of days or weeks.

Never said that they did. He's made his share of questionable decisions in his Pittsburgh games. He just had a great game yesterday. It happens.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad