GDT: Dallas Stars @ Minnesota Wild 1/20/13 7PM CT

Paul Bunyan

Jul 5, 2012
Land of Ice and Snow
www.flickr.com
I was at the game too and I'll be going tomorrow and then again for the Bluejackets (and perhaps Chicago too) and I must say the atmosphere was weird. I've been to hundreds of hockey games but only two Wild home games before last night---both being last year and both having a better vibe.

I was remarking to my friend who is part of our season ticket group that it felt to me that the fans were waiting to "buy in". As the ever pessimistic Minnesota sports fan, those who follow most if not all of the teams in the covenant are used to having their dreams stamped on. The whole making you believe then ripping your heart out is a theme in this sporting landscape.

After Parise put that goal in I figured it might pick up annnnnnd it didn't. Very quiet but oddly quiet, like everyone was waiting to see more before going berserk.

On my end there were a few chants, even a Norm Green sucks one to my left that died slowly.

I'm interested to see to tomorrow night. It's a weeknight, I suspect more hardcore fans and less suits and families so we will see. The team came out flat and that set the tone in many ways.

If it is still the same I'll be disappointed, though not surprised.

There were only two times during that game when people were getting loud and that was when they scored and when they were playing the Bush song near the end of the 3rd period. It gets too quiet. I can't stand it to be honest. Chicago typically is in the 100 decibel range throughout the game. There is 100% no reason we can't do the same.

In Chicago and Boston I feel there is no "putting on airs" or being overly polite. I've seen the Bruins many times swearing my head off and screaming with kids from Southie and members of my family and no one cares. It's by far the best NHL experience I've had

Now, even if I want to yell something it feels socially awkward. Almost like a violation of the rules. I do it anyway to see if it gets others going but rarely does it.

As you mentioned, they blasted Machinehead and people went nuts but the was after several bad calls and that got people going after the refs and it carried over.

As a soccer fan, that atmosphere for me is the best. Here it's college. When I was at school you could mix the alums (who sit on their hands at my B1G school) and the kids who make it arguably the best atmosphere in college basketball.

The whole making it an event and not a sport and family friendly etiquette kills it completely. When I had season tickets in th ECHL we formed a fan group to bring in heckling and traditions and kind of break down that social wall of sitting on hands. It worked. People loved it and still do despite my departure and us losing 13 over politics from the organization, children and various other reasons.

People go to games to see the team and also people watch. Seeing some huge viking screaming his head off at goalies and other players is what I got high fives for and signed team jerseys for down in the ECHL.

You don't even have to be vulgar. Be passionate. Is just dead otherwise, and I can make a better atmosphere and more noise in my bloody living room watching it on FSN.

TL;DR: atmosphere sucks, there are things you can do about it but is is corporate hockey and the culture has changed.

Anyone in 109 or 110 tomorrow that sees a huge viking in row 8 give me a shout.

Last edited:

LordFletcher

Jun 18, 2012
Tonka-Wayzata, MN
the only issue I have with the X is the amount of seats. I don't understand why the building wasn't made to occupy 20k+. The extra seats shouldn't be high dollar tickets either. The X has a great family and business / corporate design. More students or younger to 20's fans should be able to afford several tickets a year.

all of that said, I and my family were former higher dollar season ticket holders. Backed out 4 years ago because I saw the rebuild coming and didn't think 15k'ish a year was a smart investment. Cheaper to buy the games you want to go to and party with the crowd on weekends.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
people are going to have a problem with this theory of mine but i've been thinking about the change in atmosphere too...
I think the innate brutality of "old school" hockey has been muted quite a bit over the years, and keeps getting turned down further every year. I'm talking about big hits, sometimes illegal big hits, bloody hate, fighting (the real kind, with cause based in emotion, not staged for momentum). I think the fans that this sort of play attracts have trickled out (not judging for better or worse) and that those are the kind of fans who tend to be loud and "unruly" as adults. College games are full of kids, and we're all stupid and loud at that time in our lives. So, yeah. There it is. A more "respectable" game, a more respectful clientele. It isn't meant as a blanket statement and individuals will vary, of course.

Sportsfan1

Jun 9, 2012
State of Hockey
My two cents is Minnesota fans are learning to "buy-in" again. The crowd became more sparse and apathetic the last four years, now there is reason to believe, and I think this team is in playoff position come late February, March, and in the playoffs, you are going to see a raucous crowd at the X once again.

I've been in that building for playoff games and games in 06-08, it can get rowdy and loud for long stretches there, and I think it will again.

WildisLaw

The curse is real
Jan 19, 2010
Cali
This is hockey not a tennis match. Every game should be a playoff atmosphere, it's supposed to be an advantage when you play at home not neutral. I watched it on tv and only noticed crowd 3 times: the boo's behind net, the wave, and on the goal.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
I'd say money has made them trickle out more. That and all our sports really going that way.

yep, all sports are going that way...i don't think money has a lot to do with it here...from what i've heard we don't have nearly the corporate suit presence that they have in places like Toronto and Vancouver. Player safety always comes first etc but football is going the same way. It isn't as exciting to a lot of people when you can't make that monster hit on the receiver stretching for the ball or really lay out the QB. There are still exciting things about the game (and hockey of course) but the sense of danger is disappearing. the vicarious adrenaline rush.
My two cents is Minnesota fans are learning to "buy-in" again. The crowd became more sparse and apathetic the last four years, now there is reason to believe, and I think this team is in playoff position come late February, March, and in the playoffs, you are going to see a raucous crowd at the X once again.

I've been in that building for playoff games and games in 06-08, it can get rowdy and loud for long stretches there, and I think it will again.

winning will go a long way. It'll take a while to earn back the love though.

Paul Bunyan

Jul 5, 2012
Land of Ice and Snow
www.flickr.com
yep, all sports are going that way...i don't think money has a lot to do with it here...from what i've heard we don't have nearly the corporate suit presence that they have in places like Toronto and Vancouver. Player safety always comes first etc but football is going the same way. It isn't as exciting to a lot of people when you can't make that monster hit on the receiver stretching for the ball or really lay out the QB. There are still exciting things about the game (and hockey of course) but the sense of danger is disappearing. the vicarious adrenaline rush.

winning will go a long way. It'll take a while to earn back the love though.

It killed Detroit big time. In the 90s when people realized they had a team it was solid. Then once I left and went to college and they won even more it died. Big time suit presence.

This is hockey not a tennis match. Every game should be a playoff atmosphere, it's supposed to be an advantage when you play at home not neutral. I watched it on tv and only noticed crowd 3 times: the boo's behind net, the wave, and on the goal.

Good points made by all of you. It'll be interesting as the season progresses as I have 12 or more games I'm going to. Ill be honest, had I brought someone last night who flew in for the game I almost would have been embarrassed....but it wasn't regular sports apathy. Just very pensive.

I will say this though the wave to me is embarrassing. It screams "boredom". Other than when it was invented in the 1986 world cup in Mexico.

Mumbler*

I'm sure most people at the X were crazy loud. Just like most MNsotans though... oh yeah, they be giving you the finger!!!... it's just behind the dashboard where you can't see it.

Wouldn't want to offend anyone. Ya'know

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
The X's atmosphere has always sucked, don't know where people are getting the idea that its changed recently. NHL hockey is just like that, and why its more fun to be at college and high school games. Even during the State tourney, the excel seems tuned down though so maybe its just how the building resonates.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
The X's atmosphere has always sucked, don't know where people are getting the idea that its changed recently. NHL hockey is just like that, and why its more fun to be at college and high school games. Even during the State tourney, the excel seems tuned down though so maybe its just how the building resonates.

SOMETIMES I wonder what the crowd would be like if these games were played in Minneapolis as opposed to St. Paul. One detractor to the crowd being rowdy is we all have to drive home on the other side of Minneapolis :biglaugh:

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Two cents:

Game: sloppy again, team clearly is still trying to get the system and their legs underneath them. Some good flashes. We seem to do better against teams that don't have a lot of youth and energy. So Eddy games should be tough.

Crowd: I've said for years the X is a "meh" atmosphere for hockey. It's very much family- and business-oriented, and combined with our reserved culture it's going to be muted.

I've been to games that have been LOUD and exciting, but it's the on-ice product that drives it, not the other way around:

- Game Four vs Anaheim when everyone started brawling and Johnsson got suckered
- vs Vancouver when we were killing them on the scoreboard and Rick Rypien grabbed the fan
- vs Calgary when Parrish of all people started scrapping

Remember the 2-minute 5-on-3 from a couple years ago? Very loud.

Usually the fans are pretty quiet until something happens, then they get involved, but if nothing happens on the ice we get quiet again.

I really don't know how you change that without changing the way the team sells and markets itself.

Paul Bunyan

Jul 5, 2012
Land of Ice and Snow
www.flickr.com
Section 114, Row 12

First time driving there by myself though I'm on the St. Paul side so it'll be easier but I'm planning to get there earlier to see if anything else is in the Lodge and to have time if I make a wrong turn. So come say hello if you see me. May roll another KHL jersey tonight. All of mine are undefeated at pro games for some reason.

Two cents:

Game: sloppy again, team clearly is still trying to get the system and their legs underneath them. Some good flashes. We seem to do better against teams that don't have a lot of youth and energy. So Eddy games should be tough.

Crowd: I've said for years the X is a "meh" atmosphere for hockey. It's very much family- and business-oriented, and combined with our reserved culture it's going to be muted.

I've been to games that have been LOUD and exciting, but it's the on-ice product that drives it, not the other way around:

- Game Four vs Anaheim when everyone started brawling and Johnsson got suckered
- vs Vancouver when we were killing them on the scoreboard and Rick Rypien grabbed the fan
- vs Calgary when Parrish of all people started scrapping

Remember the 2-minute 5-on-3 from a couple years ago? Very loud.

Usually the fans are pretty quiet until something happens, then they get involved, but if nothing happens on the ice we get quiet again.

I really don't know how you change that without changing the way the team sells and markets itself.

Fans can do it. That's about it. It's breaking social barriers and culture and with old time hokey in the outs you have fans that make me feel its like a tennis match aside from goals.

The vibe was probably better Saturday I assume as I'm listening to KFAN and everyone is saying it was electric and all that which wasn't Sunday. Even that Parise goal wasn't as nuts as the Koivu OT winner on reunion night last year where the crowd went berserk.

You are right about the marketing too, that could swing it but I think this is just going to be the but an game by game it'll be different.

Bookman

Feb 27, 2002
frozen north
Visit site

I have to say, the crowd that impressed the hell out of me was Winnipeg, the night Butch got concussed - those fans were rabid, making their own ambience, singing and chanting like drunken English hooligans.

I personally hate the efforts of arena management to "pump up" the fans: lame hair metal - cues to be loud, etc. It's like a sit-com with a laugh track, like we don't know how to react.

I grew up in the era of a lone organ and scoreboards that weren't jumbotrons, and fans knew how to have fun and cheer for the good guys w/o all the crap they throw at you nowadays.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
I have to say, the crowd that impressed the hell out of me was Winnipeg, the night Butch got concussed - those fans were rabid, making their own ambience, singing and chanting like drunken English hooligans.

I personally hate the efforts of arena management to "pump up" the fans: lame hair metal - cues to be loud, etc. It's like a sit-com with a laugh track, like we don't know how to react.

I grew up in the era of a lone organ and scoreboards that weren't jumbotrons, and fans knew how to have fun and cheer for the good guys w/o all the crap they throw at you nowadays.

It's comforting to know that I'm not the only dinosaur hockey fan around these parts!!! :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad