Confirmed Trade: [DAL/LAK] Ben Bishop UFA rights for 2017 4th rounder (MTL's pick)

Status
Not open for further replies.

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
They should buy-out Niemi and Lehtonen. That tandem last season had a cap hit of 10.4 Million. Buying out both goalies costs 1.5 and ~2.566 Million, for a combined hit of just over 4 (for 2 years)

If they sign Bishop for 6 Million or less, and any backup for a million or less, that is 11 million tops! Barely more than they paid last season for a massive, massive improvement. And it might even be cheaper if Bishop takes less, and they dumpster-dive for the backup.

Berube, Kinkaid, Berra, Nilsson, Kuemper, Gustavsson, and a handfull of other backups are available. I'm sure one of them will take the job for under a million.

He Is Knocking

Jul 1, 2015
I like this deal for the Stars and Bishop. I was hoping somehow the Flyers could pull this off. The bigger question is what is Dallas going to do with it's current tandem who both should be backups and paid as such.

ElGuapo

^Plethora of piñatas
Nov 30, 2010
Nomad
Not unless they get some defencemen. Yeah their goaltending stunk last year, but they also never replaced the D they lost last offseason.

They were replaced by guys with higher upside but were never going to be ready enough last year. Hopefully close to ready this year + adding a proven top four D + Hitchcock. That would do the trick.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
BTW - Bish is great. When he's on he is very frustrating to watch. Calm in net, swallows pucks, and he covers more of the net on his knees than most goalies on their feet. Weakness is reaction saves, but he's really good positionally and he tracks the puck well.

And his puck movement will decrease your SA/G probably by 2 or 3 on its own.

Source for that - Him and Vasi's SA/60:
Vasi 30.36 over the past two seasons
Bish 28.06 over the past two seasons

That's over 120 fewer shots against over the course of a season (assuming 60 games played). Assuming a .925 EV save percentage, he's saving you at least 10 goals you're never going to see.

Dallasman

Jun 23, 2002
Edmonton,Alberta
They should buy-out Niemi and Lehtonen. That tandem last season had a cap hit of 10.4 Million. Buying out both goalies costs 1.5 and ~2.566 Million, for a combined hit of just over 4 (for 2 years)

If they sign Bishop for 6 Million or less, and any backup for a million or less, that is 11 million tops! Barely more than they paid last season for a massive, massive improvement. And it might even be cheaper if Bishop takes less, and they dumpster-dive for the backup.

Berube, Kinkaid, Berra, Nilsson, Kuemper, Gustavsson, and a handfull of other backups are available. I'm sure one of them will take the job for under a million.

Is there a rule for how many buyouts a team can use in an offseason?

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
It's almost like it was a bad year which he played injured, as well as moved to a new team that couldn't have a more different system than Tampa. Not saying there aren't concerns moving forward, but playing with an injury + new team (which wasn't playing well on its own) is going to have an impact.

oconnor9sean

Mar 3, 2013
DFW
It's almost like it was a bad year which he played injured, as well as moved to a new team that couldn't have a more different system than Tampa. Not saying there aren't concerns moving forward, but playing with an injury + new team (which wasn't playing well on its own) is going to have an impact.

Not to mention the massive amount of distractions before the season where he didn't know if he would be playing the year in Tampa or not.

Is there a rule for how many buyouts a team can use in an offseason?

I don't believe there is a rule on normal buyouts. There was a rule on compliance buyouts post 2nd lockout.

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
Dallas Stars need one Top4 defenceman and they are a playoff team once they sign Bishop. Two Top4 or a top pairing and top 4 defenceman this Stars team challenged for Final4 next year.
They needed a new voice behind the bench. Check that off.
Sign the guy for goalie they just grabbed. Soon.
Find at least 1 defenceman. July 1st.

Stars looking a lot better already

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Yeah, Bishop dramatically will improve Dallas' goalie situation. They just need to rid themselves of one of Niemi or Lehtonen and get themselves a good top 4 defenseman.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
His GSAA this past year was not very good, however.

Interesting, but perhaps a selected stat t make a point? I think there is little doubt BB is better than KL, who I wouldn't mind as a backup. He plays pretty well regular season and 5v5. Has never had much playoff experience, and seems to crumble in big games. So, keep Kari, use him 25 games to keep BB fresh, and sit him in the PO, should we make them.

Bishop has some warts that make him no guarantee for success - age, injuries, bad year last year possible trend vs. one off bad season, etc. But, MAF, Darling, Raanta, etc. all have different questions marks, too.

And, PR wise, I think Nill had to make a splash for the biggest name out there, for one, because of past tries at lower cost backup goalies, and second, because the STH base needs something to really get excited about. Promoting a back up to starter doesn't really do that for the average fan.

Teemu

Caffeine Free Since 1919
Dec 3, 2002

Only on HF could the solution to the problem "We're spending way too much on goaltending" be "So let's spend more"

Noodletoro

Sponsor
Aug 23, 2003
Fort Worth, TX
His GSAA this past year was not very good, however.

Another example of why people find advanced stats people so annoying at times. "Not sure what Dallas is up to?" I don't know Sean maybe they are looking at more than just the past year? Maybe they are looking at other statistics and actually watching games. Maybe Lehtonen has sucked for years and imploded the past two times the team made the playoffs? Who knows? :help:

I mean by those metrics I guess Dallas should keep Lehtonen over guys like Schneider, Rinne, Quick, Fleury if given the chance.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Does this trigger anything with the conditional pick in the Kings/Bolts deal?

If I'm remembering correctly, that condition was based on whether the Kings made the playoffs or not, and then I think there were more conditions to it, like depending on what round they got to. Since no playoffs, I don't think the conditional pick exists anymore.

Morry83

14-90-91
Mar 16, 2013
I like how we're trying to paint the picture that Kari Lehtonen is a good goaltender

oconnor9sean

Mar 3, 2013
DFW
Only on HF could the solution to the problem "We're spending way too much on goaltending" be "So let's spend more"

They have the cap space. The issue isn't how much they're spending. It's that they were spending money on bad goalies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad