D Ryan Merkley - Peterborough Petes, OHL (2018, 21st, SJS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I don’t see anyone in this thread saying it was nothing. It was a brutal turnover and a dumb play.

A molehill is something, but it’s still absurd to make a mountain out of it.

Well one poster put a sarcastic face after talking about it.

I dont think anyone is making a mountain of it. Its just the stupid type of play that Merkley makes defensively and apparently refuses to learn from which is why he fell in the draft. Not so much the mistake but from all reports the fact that he would refuse to listen to the coach after something like that and do it again.

Its also such a selfish play. He could easily skate past that guy and chip it off the glass, wants the goal from behind his goal line and the other team gets a goal off of it. That play is a good example of why he fell in the draft, of course people will talk about it

blindpass

May 7, 2010
I don’t see anyone in this thread saying it was nothing. It was a brutal turnover and a dumb play.

A molehill is something, but it’s still absurd to make a mountain out of it.
Seemed like you were doing that when you dredged it up again mockingly. There's plenty of room between a molehill and a mountain.

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
People make mistakes and that mistake didn't end up hurting his team that badly because they won the game in ot.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
One mistake sends the couch potatoes into a frenzy lol

I think the point is, it's not "one mistake"...it's a pattern of similar mistakes with this player.

It may just be one play, but it's a perfect representation of the issue with Merkley, wrapped up in one absolutely braindead play. That's not, "awww shucks the kid's trying to be too creative"...it's just not following basic systems play and common sense. Players, especially defencemen, who can't balance risk/reward properly and show repeated issues integrating into a system to play a team game...will not play for NHL coaches.

There's tons to like there with the outstanding skating, the puck skills, the creativity and vision in the offensive zone. But if he can't figure out how to actually play within a system and avoid the sort of stupid selfish/braindead plays depicted in that one example, it's not going to amount to much.

SAM STEVENS

Oct 21, 2018
This guy drives me nuts he does the dumbest things then all we see is the great play after he make 10 bad ones. This guy keeps getting hyped up and endless opportunities I really don't understand how some can do no wrong... He is a 50 foot player for every 1 he gets he costs 4.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Weird how he looked perfectly fine at an NHL training camp, and then looks “brain dead” in the OHL. Perhaps he just plays to the level of his competition.

Killerjas

Mar 6, 2017
Netherlands
Weird how he looked perfectly fine at an NHL training camp, and then looks “brain dead” in the OHL. Perhaps he just plays to the level of his competition.

Maybe the lack of motivation to play in the OHL? He seems like the kind of player to get very easily emotional when things don't go his way.

blindpass

May 7, 2010
Anyone who has no concerns about his character has their head in the sand. Intriguing prospect with several well documented red flags, simple as that. I hope he manages to put it all together.

Reactions: Andrei79

SAM STEVENS

Oct 21, 2018
And some NHL staff didnt even want to draft him...
The thing that made me drop my mouth was in the draft was when on national TV they said he was on most teams do not draft list! How bad do his issues need to be for them to say it live? Yet the OHL, team Canada still gives this guy every single opportunity. makes you think why he has never had to change his ways because he continues to be rewarded.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
The thing that made me drop my mouth was in the draft was when on national TV they said he was on most teams do not draft list! How bad do his issues need to be for them to say it live? Yet the OHL, team Canada still gives this guy every single opportunity. makes you think why he has never had to change his ways because he continues to be rewarded.
Team Canada didn't give him an invite to the World Junior Camp this year, and gave many guys drafted in the same range that opportunity.

SAM STEVENS

Oct 21, 2018
Team Canada didn't give him an invite to the World Junior Camp this year, and gave many guys drafted in the same range that opportunity.
I did see he is playing both games in the CIBC Canada Russia series is that a different selection process?

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I did see he is playing both games in the CIBC Canada Russia series is that a different selection process?
More players get invited to that than the Summer Selection Camp. You don't have to be at the summer selection camp to make it though.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Watched him live over the weekend. Definitely seemed like he was bored at times. Unfortunate for him because hes going to have to spend at least another year in the OHL.

But his overall D game was fine, nothing to scoff at.

Reactions: GrittyHawkDown

bishop12

Ovyously
Dec 1, 2006
Anyone who is close to Storm or OHL want to chime in how Merkley is doing so far this season?

typicalsavage

Oct 31, 2018
This guy drives me nuts he does the dumbest things then all we see is the great play after he make 10 bad ones. This guy keeps getting hyped up and endless opportunities I really don't understand how some can do no wrong... He is a 50 foot player for every 1 he gets he costs 4.
Hes played with some of my buddies throughout the years. Theres a lot of anger, selfishness and immaturity with this guy on top of what you said. I can see why teams passed on him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad