D Ryan Merkley - Peterborough Petes, OHL (2018, 21st, SJS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Shocking pick by the Sharks that will send shockwaves through the rest of the draft, the scrambling by Ottawa after shows us he wasn't going any further than 22, blueballing the world of a potential Merkley-Karlsson pairing.
San Jose should be a great fit for him, I sounded harsh a few posts ago and I do wish Merkley all the best.
Funny how certain posts age.

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
What I get from Merkley is that he tries very hard to be an outgoing and dominant player in the ohl, but when he plays against tougher competition, he is more relaxed, calm, and reserved.

blindpass

May 7, 2010
He was in no position to clear it off the boards, if it shoots it around the boards, the defender stops it at the blueline.

He wasn't trying to spring anyone on a breakaway, he was simply trying to clear the puck but fanned on the attempt...

Looks like he was going for the empty net.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
The smart play there is probably to eat it, but as a real little dude that is riskier than for others.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
He was in no position to clear it off the boards, if it shoots it around the boards, the defender stops it at the blueline.

He wasn't trying to spring anyone on a breakaway, he was simply trying to clear the puck but fanned on the attempt...
lol the only play and the safest was to hit it off the boards with 10 seconds or hold onto it and find a clear lane to shoot. Instead he changes his body position and slap passes it to no one in particular despite having around 2 opponents. Defending him on this makes u look a real fool.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
He continues to be an absolute liability in the defensive zone in junior hockey. Here he is up 1 with 10 seconds left. This happens far, far too often

Honestly, this play, in junior hockey? Doesn't really matter. He tries stuff, doesn't work out -> Not a big deal. It's only a problem if he does that at the pro level. In juniors, I think it's much better to try and perfect your game rather than just being good enough.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Honestly, this play, in junior hockey? Doesn't really matter. He tries stuff, doesn't work out -> Not a big deal. It's only a problem if he does that at the pro level. In juniors, I think it's much better to try and perfect your game rather than just being good enough.

I've heard this too many times. So far to me he looks like DeAngelo so far in that he had a ton of hype, possible attitude issues. Clear skillset but ultimately his skills were not enough to establish a career when he didn't put in the work and his defensive play was hurting the team everytime they were on the ice.

Right now, he is still very much a project but is more likely to bust than make it IMO. That said, if he matures, and IF the Sharks get him to put in some serious work, he might become a Sergachev type D for them in a few years which would be a steal. I get the excitement about him for sure as the potential makes you drool but in reality I have seen far too many of these guys come and go in my years as a fan to be optimistic.

Reactions: Torgo

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
crapping on him because he tried to clear
big deal bad luck thats all
sheesh

I think it's more "guy who shouldn't have gone in the first round because he makes really bad decisions, a lot, continues to make really bad decisions". But SJ fans will see that soon enough. If he can't even get away with it in junior, there's absolutely no way it works in pro hockey, let alone the NHL

Reactions: Torgo

Thebesthockey

Aug 6, 2013
I think it's more "guy who shouldn't have gone in the first round because he makes really bad decisions, a lot, continues to make really bad decisions". But SJ fans will see that soon enough. If he can't even get away with it in junior, there's absolutely no way it works in pro hockey, let alone the NHL

well i trust much more an nhl staff to make those decisions than a keyboard GM

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
What I get from Merkley is that he tries very hard to be an outgoing and dominant player in the ohl, but when he plays against tougher competition, he is more relaxed, calm, and reserved.

They said the same thing about PK fwiw

But we'll see

NamesAreHardToChoose

Sep 22, 2018

You would think people would realize the situation before commenting. Even through it all, this shouldn't have been a situation to talk about in the beginning. There should have been no comeback. I hate seeing everyone blame Merkley for 5 goals when he's been solid since he returned.

blindpass

May 7, 2010
The smart play there is probably to eat it, but as a real little dude that is riskier than for others.
With that little time on the clock even putting it over the glass is fine. Icing certainly is ok, so he had better options than trying to score (which I think he was doing). Agree that too much is being made of it. Hopefully he learns something from it. He did seem upset about the mistake, that's a good sign.

Last edited:
Reactions: Phu and 99664987

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Obviously not a great moment but that's perhaps the type of mistake you want him to make. He will learn from it.

SabresSharks

Oct 2, 2007
That is an ugly, ugly play.
Brutal. Peewee house league brutal.

Just in case anyone is confused ... major junior teams are actually trying to, you know, win games. They're not playtoys for the Merkleys of the world to try crazy shit out just because it isn't the NHL.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Great performance today, earning the first star with a goal and two assists. Now has 10 pts in 7 games, 8 of those assists.
Yeah, but did you even see that turnover with 10 seconds left?! :sarcasm:

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Just as stupid to act like it was nothing as to overreact to it. We know he can put up points, that's never been the question with him.
I don’t see anyone in this thread saying it was nothing. It was a brutal turnover and a dumb play.

A molehill is something, but it’s still absurd to make a mountain out of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad