D Ryan Merkley - Peterborough Petes, OHL (2018, 21st, SJS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Clutch

May 2, 2012
This kid is the Karlsson of this draft. You watch...

People had very high expectatons for Ryan Murphy as well, I saw his skating compared to Paul Coffey. I hope you are right but I seriously doubt this kid will get out of his own way.

Mar 12, 2009
I've seen him a lot (albeit most of the viewings were on tv) and I'm not very interested in him with the Leafs 1st.

pckstpr31

Jul 13, 2010
CGY
I feel like there's a very good chance he ends up in a Rangers uniform tonight. 3 first rounders, and they've taken on DeAngelo and Day.

Reactions: Riseonfire

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
I feel like there's a very good chance he ends up in a Rangers uniform tonight. 3 first rounders, and they've taken on DeAngelo and Day.

The Isles have some extra picks also, was hoping to scoop him with a 2nd rounder.

Fudgeo

Feb 2, 2015
Shocking pick by the Sharks that will send shockwaves through the rest of the draft, the scrambling by Ottawa after shows us he wasn't going any further than 22, blueballing the world of a potential Merkley-Karlsson pairing.
San Jose should be a great fit for him, I sounded harsh a few posts ago and I do wish Merkley all the best.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Sharks just love their cancers.....trading for and extending Kane, trading for Hoffman, drafting this dude.

But seriously, I wonder who would've taken him next and where.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Sharks just love their cancers.....trading for and extending Kane, trading for Hoffman, drafting this dude.

I think he was in serious play for Ottawa at 22 and Leafs at 25. Not that I wanted that result.

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011

Trading for Hoffman....and then trading him off 2 hours later. That will no doubt be a black mark on the franchise for decades to come.

Who comes up with this ****? Seriously.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
For those curious, Ryan Merkley had a fantastic performance in pre-season.

He played over 21 minutes per game, and over 16 of those minutes came at 5v5. He was on the ice for 6 5v5 goals for and 1 5v5 goals against and all of his underlying metrics were very strong as well. He did only score 1 point in 3 games but he played very well as a whole.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
For those curious, Ryan Merkley had a fantastic performance in pre-season.

He played over 21 minutes per game, and over 16 of those minutes came at 5v5. He was on the ice for 6 5v5 goals for and 1 5v5 goals against and all of his underlying metrics were very strong as well. He did only score 1 point in 3 games but he played very well as a whole.
SJ has to be the best team in the league right now for young defensemen to develop in. Watching and talking to Vlasic and Braun, and Karlsson and Burns, Merkley should be able to learn everything there is to know about playing defense with and without the puck.

I’m eager to watch him play this season. I forgot to watch him in preseason like a fool, but from what I’ve heard, he wasn’t close to a complete liability in his own zone. I imagine he’s had some long talks with Wilson & co. and will be paying a lot more attention to how he plays without the puck this year. Fortunately, San Jose’s coaching and management doesn’t seem the type to try to drill all of the creativity and risk-taking, that makes him such a special player, out of him.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
SJ has to be the best team in the league right now for young defensemen to develop in. Watching and talking to Vlasic and Braun, and Karlsson and Burns, Merkley should be able to learn everything there is to know about playing defense with and without the puck.

I’m eager to watch him play this season. I forgot to watch him in preseason like a fool, but from what I’ve heard, he wasn’t close to a complete liability in his own zone. I imagine he’s had some long talks with Wilson & co. and will be paying a lot more attention to how he plays without the puck this year. Fortunately, San Jose’s coaching and management doesn’t seem the type to try to drill all of the creativity and risk-taking, that makes him such a special player, out of him.

I honestly think he looked like he would be fine in the NHL. Perhaps I wouldn’t say that he looked NHL ready, or that bringing him up now wouldn’t be rushing him, but he looked to me like he would survive. He did have some rough shifts, but I think he would survive in the NHL.

He actually was living with Brent Burns during training camp. So, that certainly had to help.

Reactions: 99664987

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
He continues to be an absolute liability in the defensive zone in junior hockey. Here he is up 1 with 10 seconds left. This happens far, far too often

TheProspectNetwork

Jan 3, 2018
theprospectnetwork.ca
He continues to be an absolute liability in the defensive zone in junior hockey. Here he is up 1 with 10 seconds left. This happens far, far too often

That was a terrible decision. However, I've seen some say he doesn't care and puts in no effort but he was clearly upset after that one. Hope he starts to channel his anger towards improving his play.

Reactions: stl76

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
That was a terrible decision. However, I've seen some say he doesn't care and puts in no effort but he was clearly upset after that one. Hope he starts to channel his anger towards improving his play.

I don't think he puts in no effort. He just constantly tries to do too much and makes poor decisions

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Who clears down the middle with 3 guys in the slot with 10 seconds left? Go off the boards and risk the icing, you don't need to try and spring a guy for a breakaway.
He was in no position to clear it off the boards, if it shoots it around the boards, the defender stops it at the blueline.

He wasn't trying to spring anyone on a breakaway, he was simply trying to clear the puck but fanned on the attempt...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad