Prospect Info: (D) Nolan Allan - 2021 32nd Overall

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Here's a graph of how much of a percentage a players points contributes to the amount of a teams goals scored. Also have to consider some kids missed some games (Allan missed 3) so results aren't exact but it gives somewhat of an idea of their offensive contribution. So Nolan Allan scored 38 points on 182 goals scored by the Raiders giving him a 21% contribution. That's pretty significant for someone that's labelled as a shut down defenseman. These are all kids drafted in 2021 except for Wyatt Kaiser who we took in 2020.

View attachment 527682
It's just a data point. It needs way more context.

newmanager

Feb 5, 2010
It's just a data point. It needs way more context.
It's a bunch of data points derived from using the same simple common criteria that are to be used to compare to one another. The only purpose of the graph. No other context needed. Already explained what the data represented. The percentage of a teams goals a particular player is involved in, that show up as goals or assists. So the players points divided by goals scored by the team multiplied by 100.

TheFridge

Mar 20, 2022
Here's a graph of how much of a percentage a players points contributes to the amount of a teams goals scored. Also have to consider some kids missed some games (Allan missed 3) so results aren't exact but it gives somewhat of an idea of their offensive contribution. So Nolan Allan scored 38 points on 182 goals scored by the Raiders giving him a 21% contribution. That's pretty significant for someone that's labelled as a shut down defenseman. These are all kids drafted in 2021 except for Wyatt Kaiser who we took in 2020.

View attachment 527682

You should do the same chart but only use goals and primary assists. Would be interesting to see how the chart changes.

Northernhawk

Feb 22, 2020
Hawks had originally been picking at 12, 44 and 62
This is what I believe happened…
The trade with Columbus for Seth Jones changed everything obviously because then went to picking at 32 and 62…
I again believe the Hawks were looking at players for the 12h pick, wanted Nolan Allan at 44 and Colton Dach at 62…instead they had to take Allan at 32 as they lost the 12th and 44th…Dach was still available at 62…that’s what I believe, Allan would have been our second pick at 44

Reactions: bwana63

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
You should do the same chart but only use goals and primary assists. Would be interesting to see how the chart changes.
I never saw the relevance of discounting secondary assists. Hockey is a dynamic and complex game, secondary assists offer more precision in crediting players on the ice for goals

Reactions: Space umpire

TheFridge

Mar 20, 2022
I never saw the relevance of discounting secondary assists. Hockey is a dynamic and complex game, secondary assists offer more precision in crediting players on the ice for goals

It can. I think more than anything it helps to distinguish the real drivers of offense. There is a larger percentage of secondary assists that really have no impact on the scoring play than there are primary assists. You would expect players that drive offense to have significantly higher percentages of primary points (G+A1).

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
The "real drivers of offense" is a completely subjective concept and i haven't seen a convincing argument otherwise. There are so many cases where a goal simply cannot happen without the secondary assist leading up to it.

This isn't basketball.

Reactions: Space umpire

TheFridge

Mar 20, 2022
The "real drivers of offense" is a completely subjective concept and i haven't seen a convincing argument otherwise. There are so many cases where a goal simply cannot happen without the secondary assist leading up to it.

This isn't basketball.

I'm not sure how it's subjective. The drivers are the players primarily responsible for creating offense and you're using available stats to help determine who the drivers are. Primary points are just another data point. There's a reason why Kane's ratio of primary points to secondary assists is so skewed to primary points.

giza

Jul 19, 2011
Yeah, I think everyone agrees that Allan was a stretch when he was drafted, but that really doesn't matter any more.. and while his upside can be debated, .he's trending in the right direction. The Hawks desperately need mobile, shutdown D men and if he can add a little offense to compliment his physicality, then it could prove to be an astute pick. The backend needs to be more mobile, better decision making, tougher to play against...

Reactions: bwana63

Giovi

Sponsor
Feb 1, 2009
Yeah, I think everyone agrees that Allan was a stretch when he was drafted, but that really doesn't matter any more.. and while his upside can be debated, .he's trending in the right direction. The Hawks desperately need mobile, shutdown D men and if he can add a little offense to compliment his physicality, then it could prove to be an astute pick. The backend needs to be more mobile, better decision making, tougher to play against...
Not to mention they need to get much better activating the offense. Not many good first passes happening with this group.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I'm just stating factual information.

Ian is really accurate when it comes to passing and transitioning out of the D-zone.

No, at this point it is just a shtick. This has been pointed out to you multiple times, you lose credibility with people by continuing but at this point it is clear you don't care...kind of like HF50.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
No, at this point it is just a shtick. This has been pointed out to you multiple times, you lose credibility with people by continuing but at this point it is clear you don't care...kind of like HF50.
So you think Ian Mitchell's first pass isn't good?

Styles

No Light, No Signal
Apr 6, 2017
I'm just stating factual information.

Ian is really accurate when it comes to passing and transitioning out of the D-zone.

I remember the time you were talking up Mitchell and then admitted you didn't watch any of his D+2 season which just happened to be during his D+2 season and your excuse was "you already saw enough" I wouldn't trust your opinion on the player because you have Stromed the Shark with him too.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Fiddy has replied to me multiple times, but of course he doesn't have me on ignore, I'm me.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Stop and actually address the real issue.
Which is what?

A comment was made about the current D group struggling to make good first passes. This is true.

Ian Mitchell makes good first passes, but he's currently in Rockford. People can look forward to him joining the team next season and making good first passes. This is also true.

What's the problem?

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Which is what?

A comment was made about the current D group struggling to make good first passes. This is true.

Ian Mitchell makes good first passes, but he's currently in Rockford. People can look forward to him joining the team next season and making good first passes. This is also true.

What's the problem?

You can read and responded to the post. Are you going to stop the shtick and stop the childish bs?

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
You can read and responded to the post. Are you going to stop the shtick and stop the childish bs?
I'm done with this conversation.

There is no shtick.

I stated a fact and that's it. You're acting like I'm saying something positive about Graham Knott. Relax.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I'm done with this conversation.

There is no shtick.

I stated a fact and that's it. You're acting like I'm saying something positive about Graham Knott. Relax.

No, you are getting called out for basically trolling and then trying to play stupid. I've actually tried to ignore it because I appreciate the effort you put into prospects, but I am over childish shit. Best of luck musto.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad