Prospect Info: (D) Nolan Allan - 2021 32nd Overall

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Why would I be patient with a guy that has no upside?

You are making an ass out of yourself on this.

Allen has an upside, is it limited? Sure, but he still has 3D potential. Was he a reach? Yes. Would everyone have picked someone else? 100%. Does this make this prospect have zero upside? No. You need to stop doing this with prospects.

I am hoping this is part sarcasm but you have done this for awhile now.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
You are making an ass out of yourself on this.

Allen has an upside, is it limited? Sure, but he still has 3D potential. Was he a reach? Yes. Would everyone have picked someone else? 100%. Does this make this prospect have zero upside? No. You need to stop doing this with prospects.

I am hoping this is part sarcasm but you have done this for awhile now.
3D? Come on, now.

4D upside is the absolute max potential he has.

TheFridge

Mar 20, 2022
There's too much emphasis being put on numbering the D in terms of upside. Some guys are clearly #1s, bc they're the best D on their team. Allan is the kind of player that, if he makes it to the NHL, he will likely be able to play in the top-4 as a complementary player on a pairing with a strong puck-mover.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
No if he maxes out then he can 100% be a 3D.
Absolutely not.

BK, you're talking about a 4th rounder.

Chicago drafting him in the 1st round doesn't magically boost his upside like you think it does.

He's still the same player that should have been drafted in the 4th round. Nothing has changed.

3D is completely out of the realm of possibility.

TheFridge

Mar 20, 2022
Absolutely not.

Chicago drafting him in the 1st round doesn't magically boost his upside like you think it does.

He's still the same player that should have been drafted in the 4th round. Nothing has changed.

Who cares where he was (or should have been) drafted? There are countless players drafted outside the 1st round or undrafted that went on to have outstanding careers. You can't form an argument around draft status.

Allan's biggest problems are his puck-moving and offensive upside. Limiting factors, especially the puck-moving. But he has time to develop. His positional play and sense defensively provide a solid foundation to build off of.

Reactions: Giovi

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Absolutely not.

He was 4th for YOU. I saw him more in the early 3rd. He has the skillset to be a 3D.

Hammer was a 4th rounder, Adam Fox was a 3rd rounder, Jaacob Slavin was a 4th rounder, etc.

Either way your claim "no upside" is wrong.

TheFridge

Mar 20, 2022
Different players. Better skater. He is not a bruising SHD like Murphy.

I don't know that I'd qualify Murphy as a bruising SHD. I don't know that many really exist. Like guys like Gudas, Zadorov or Stillman maybe? That go out of their way for hits. Both Murphy and Allan play positional games and will finish checks and take the body. Allan is a stronger positional player than Murphy at the same age though. And for Canada at the u18s, I'd say anyone would have called Allan exactly that, a bruising SHD.

Reactions: Muffinalt

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I don't know that I'd qualify Murphy as a bruising SHD. I don't know that many really exist. Like guys like Gudas, Zadorov or Stillman maybe? That go out of their way for hits. Both Murphy and Allan play positional games and will finish checks and take the body. Allan is a stronger positional player than Murphy at the same age though. And for Canada at the u18s, I'd say anyone would have called Allan exactly that, a bruising SHD.

Murphy 100% goes out of his way for hits. Allen is a better skater and a better transition player while being limited offensively. Murphy is not a good comp for Allen.

BHawk21

Mar 21, 2022
i love when people pretend like they watch enough WHL games to know for certain the upside on a particular 18 year old.

TheFridge

Mar 20, 2022
Murphy 100% goes out of his way for hits. Allen is a better skater and a better transition player while being limited offensively. Murphy is not a good comp for Allen.

Murphy doesn't regularly go out of his way for hits. No more than any other player that averages the amount of hits he does. Murphy relies on positioning as a default. Stillman on the other hand, that dude is consistently trying to catch guys with their heads down entering in the zone or through the weeds.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Murphy doesn't regularly go out of his way for hits. No more than any other player that averages the amount of hits he does. Murphy relies on positioning as a default. Stillman on the other hand, that dude is consistently trying to catch guys with their heads down entering in the zone or through the weeds.

We disagree on Murphy. This is fine.

Reactions: TheFridge

Larmer83

I'm taking the high road moving forward.
May 13, 2018
Lakewood, CO
For what it's worth on Allan...

Ranked #59 by TSN/McKenzie(Musto's Gold Standard)
Ranked #89 by McKeen's Hockey
Ranked #101 by FCHockey
Ranked #40 by NHL Central Scouting(That's North American Skaters. Add 20 Europeans and 2 goalies= 62)

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
For what it's worth on Allan...

Ranked #59 by TSN/McKenzie(Musto's Gold Standard)
Ranked #89 by McKeen's Hockey
Ranked #101 by FCHockey
Ranked #40 by NHL Central Scouting(That's North American Skaters. Add 20 Europeans and 2 goalies= 62)

Looks like 3rd rounder to me…

newmanager

Feb 5, 2010
Here's a graph of how much of a percentage a players points contributes to the amount of a teams goals scored. Also have to consider some kids missed some games (Allan missed 3) so results aren't exact but it gives somewhat of an idea of their offensive contribution. So Nolan Allan scored 38 points on 182 goals scored by the Raiders giving him a 21% contribution. That's pretty significant for someone that's labelled as a shut down defenseman. These are all kids drafted in 2021 except for Wyatt Kaiser who we took in 2020.

1649294848728.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad