D Lukas Dragicevic - Tri-City Americans, WHL (2023, 57th, SEA)

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Drago is so good he can dominate both the OHL and WHL at the same time...but still a "B" prospect according to central scouting

Yup.... sorry about that... :DD

i have OHL, WHL and QMJHL sites always open at the same time
switching through them constantly. mistakes do happen.

Ill paraphrase ... if he would be playing in the OHL... he would be 2nd in their scoring:)

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
His draft year production suggest a top 10 pick even in a loaded draft class. His skill set seems pretty all-around. Is there simply concern that he does everything “well” but nothing well enough to pop at the pro level? I really don’t understand the lack of hype. Can it be there is that much residual carryover to scouting services and talking heads from not being selected to the Hlinka roster?

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
His draft year production suggest a top 10 pick even in a loaded draft class. His skill set seems pretty all-around. Is there simply concern that he does everything “well” but nothing well enough to pop at the pro level? I really don’t understand the lack of hype. Can it be there is that much residual carryover to scouting services and talking heads from not being selected to the Hlinka roster?

I think I saw the comparison earlier in this thread, but Noah Dobson had no one elite trait and was just "very good" all across the board in his draft profile. Dobson has exhibited high end hockey IQ to tie all of his solid tools into a potential 60-point 2-way RHD, I'd say that comparable would help this kid's argument to rise in the rankings. Premium RHD's carry insane value, this kid could rise huge by draft day.

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve

I think it has a little to do with the Hlinka, and a little bit of ignorance of the WHL in certain NHL circles. Korchinski was also not near the top early on and he ended up being 7th. Mateychuk was also ranked in the lower 1st round and ended up being 12th. (Looking at you, Bobby Mac) :sarcasm:

It's also a forward heavy draft, so teams may be concentrating on that.

Reactions: BKarchitect

Intangir

Aug 14, 2008
Montreal, QC
At this point I don't really care much about production as far as Dragicevic is concerned. He has proven he can score at the CHL level, that he has the smarts and skills to be successful there.

What I really want to see from him is stronger, steadier defensive play and him being more direct offensively, instead of holding onto the puck for longer stretches and milking "junior-level" points at will.

Reactions: GermanSpitfire

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
At this point I don't really care much about production as far as Dragicevic is concerned. He has proven he can score at the CHL level, that he has the smarts and skills to be successful there.

What I really want to see from him is stronger, steadier defensive play and him being more direct offensively, instead of holding onto the puck for longer stretches and milking "junior-level" points at will.
He'll have his D+1 year for that - he actually reminds me a lot of Byram.

Intangir

Aug 14, 2008
Montreal, QC
He'll have his D+1 year for that - he actually reminds me a lot of Byram.

Not taking anything away from Dragicevic, he's a great prospect, but Byram had plain better all-around tools though. Byram was also superior defensively and had a more direct, pro-ready approach to the game right from the get-go in his draft year.

And as you've said, the most logical timeline to begin heavy work on weaknesses, looking at videos and trying to change your game is the offseason, and then D+1, not when you're trying to fight for a playoffs spot with your team.

But I think it would seriously help Dragicevic's case as a prospect if he tried to simplify his game and play a sounder game defensively. Scouts would notice, and that, paired up with his stellar production and nice set of tools, would go a long way to entice them to talk to their GMs about picking him on day one of the 2023 draft.

Last edited:

NewEraGM

Jun 19, 2010
6 foot 2, RIGHT shot, good skater and leads ALL WHL defensemen in points?
Why is this guy barely ranked as a 1st rounder right now? I don’t get it…

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Not taking anything away from Dragicevic, he's a great prospect, but Byram had plain better all-around tools though. Byram was also superior defensively and had a more direct, pro-ready approach to the game right from the get-go in his draft year.

And as you've said, the most logical timeline to begin heavy work on weaknesses, looking at videos and trying to change your game is the offseason, and then D+1, not when you're trying to fight for a playoffs spot with your team.

But I think it would seriously help Dragicevic's case as a prospect if he tried to simplify his game and play a sounder game defensively. Scouts would notice, and that, paired up with his stellar production and nice set of tools, would go a long way to entice them to talk to their GMs about picking him on day one of the 2023 draft.
He arguably had better hockey IQ and tools, I won't pretend to have watched Dragicevic enough. But Byram's main knock in his draft year was how his game would translate to the pros. His D+1 year he spent the majority of the year refining his defensive game, but it was by no means polished in his draft year.

So many people discounted Byram because in the WJC and WHL the puck was always on his stick. He would often cheat defensively and pinch/jump up in the play because he could get away with it - but his junior style play by no means translated to the pros. Byram simply had the tools and great hockey IQ to know how to play a safe, refined game in the NHL if needed until he adapted to the pace.

QJL

Jan 2, 2014

He is milking junior level points better than just about any draft eligible defenseman in the past 30 years. Not sure he should change much in offense. His defense has actually been very steady lately compared to earlier in the season. He’s having a remarkable year.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad