D Lukas Dragicevic - Tri-City Americans, WHL (2023, 57th, SEA)

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
Not sure why this kid is getting such little attention. Central Scouting didn't even have him as an "A" prospect.

Any red flags in his game?

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
U18 Canada left him off the most recent tournament roster.

Central Scouting gave him a B grade.

I don’t get it. When I watch Dragicevic, I see a dynamic offensive defenseman, a great skater, and a physical player. He’s a bit of a risk taker but that reward has always outweighed the risk.

I have Dragicevic ranked in the 8-11 range right now, only behind Gulyayev for D in this draft.

MichaelFarrell

Aug 29, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
U18 Canada left him off the most recent tournament roster.

Central Scouting gave him a B grade.

I don’t get it. When I watch Dragicevic, I see a dynamic offensive defenseman, a great skater, and a physical player. He’s a bit of a risk taker but that reward has always outweighed the risk.

I have Dragicevic ranked in the 8-11 range right now, only behind Gulyayev for D in this draft.
I don’t have him ranked that high. But, I think he’s pretty good. I have not seen Gulyayev play yet. But, I think Dragicevic is right behind Bzustewicz and that is no slight. Dragicevic could definitely end up being the better player.

He has great tools. His speed jumps out at you right away. Just a fast puck moving defenseman. Very translatable skill set to the pros. Top 4 upside I think.

Last edited:
Reactions: wetcoast

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
Scored the OT winner off a rebound he was positioned perfectly for. Also added a assist and got 1st star, controlled the game all night other than when Danielson was on. Central scouting listings are always head scratching but not sure how people don't see a 1st rounder in him(or Christall/Ziemmer/Leslie). He's pretty similar to Noah Dobson imo

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Scored the OT winner off a rebound he was positioned perfectly for. Also added a assist and got 1st star, controlled the game all night other than when Danielson was on. Central scouting listings are always head scratching but not sure how people don't see a 1st rounder in him(or Christall/Ziemmer/Leslie). He's pretty similar to Noah Dobson imo
I might’ve just caught him on good nights last season but the kid I saw is one I expected to see in the top fifteen. I’ve been mystified by his low rankings all year. :dunno:

MichaelFarrell

Aug 29, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
Yet he remains low on or completely off many draft lists I see... not sure why. I guess him being snubbed from Hlinka really made an impact on some people
He will for sure rise I think. His tools will be too appealing for teams to pass up. Every team wants fast mobile defenseman that can move the puck in their prospect pool.

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
Dragicevic is on pace to crack 90 points. That hasn’t been done by a WHL Draft eligible defenseman in over 30 years.

It hasn’t been done by any WHL defenseman at all since 93-94.

This guy has a lot of room to improve defensively but it’s not like he’s a total liability back there. He’s decent already and has the size, skating, and physicality to become imposing in his own end.

He should be a top 10 pick and is the most underrated player in the 2023 draft class.

Johnny Hanson

Jul 6, 2008
Dragicevic is on pace to crack 90 points. That hasn’t been done by a WHL Draft eligible defenseman in over 30 years.

This guy has a lot of room to improve defensively but it’s not like he’s a total liability back there. He’s decent already and has the size, skating, and physicality to become imposing in his own end.

He should be a top 10 pick and is the most underrated player in the 2023 draft class.
Couldn’t agree more. Another goal tonight.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
good-that-boy-good.gif

Last edited:

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark

If Sens do fall short of playoffs this year, I'd love for them to draft him if he's available.

Reactions: Johnny Hanson

thefeebster

Mar 13, 2009
Vancouver

Really like Dragicevic. I've seen some ppl (not here but elsewhere on the forum) talk about him like he is a pylon defensively. But he really isn't that bad imo. He makes the effort defensively and has some really smart plays in his own zone.

Both puck transporter and mover, really active and not afraid to jump up into the rush. At his best when he is roving on the PP imo.

Should be higher than most rankings for sure.

Reactions: Lavar Ball

Intangir

Aug 14, 2008
Montreal, QC
He's my early eye opener. He is so damn good

He reminds me of Evan Bouchard

First, a disclaimer, I don't have the biggest sample size watching Dragicevic, only three games (Saskatoon, Winnipeg, and Spokane) as opposed to the numerous times I watched Bouchard play for London.

But, I would argue that it became apparent in my viewings that Dragicevic has clearly lesser offensive skills than Bouchard, but slightly better hockey sense and a much better transition game.

Defense-wise I'd call them a wash as far as CHL play goes, as IMO Bouchard had the higher work-ethic defensively and was slightly more effective along the boards (not that this is saying much), but Dragicevic has the better positioning and understanding of passing/shooting lanes alongside slightly more well-rounded skating ability (mostly his pivots), and better knack for poking pucks loose.

I will say this though, both Bouchard and Dragicevic struggled defending the cycle from the games I saw when not faced with junior-sized players, not only physically but getting lost in coverage at times too.

And both of them were not really physical in my viewings, which isn't to say they appeared "soft" per se, but they definitely weren't/aren't bruisers.

As for Dragicevic alone, from the games I watched, the first real flaw / possible red flag that I see in his play is that Dragicevic is using time and space that will not be there at the NHL level to create much of his offense. More precisely, Dragicevic holds onto the puck way too long trying to create out there.

And as opposed to NHL success-story Barzal, who played a similar style in juniors as a forward, Dragicevic does not have the ++ skating and elite skill level required to keep up that style into the pro ranks.

It works on the PP, sure, but he has not shown himself to be elusive and shifty enough in my view, nor does he execute with the type of lightning-fast decision-making that would allow him to continue playing that type of game in the NHL and not get completely caved-in by the much tighter, faster coverage.

In short, Dragicevic certainly has transferable skills to go into the NHL, with overall good, fluid skating, solid fundamentals, pretty good skills, a nice shooting arsenal, and a bright hockey mind. But right now he plays a junior-type game, and it just won't fly in the NHL.

Will he adapt well, will he simplify his game and find success in the NHL? I don't know. He very well could. But there is enough risk there for me to forego ranking him in the top 10-15 in this strong draft as of now.

That said, with a bit of improvement here and there, an increase in the pace of his play (and holding the puck for shorter stretches), Dragicevic could very well break into the top 10-15 come draft time. He may even go higher.

Anyways, that's it from me, cheers and good day.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad