D Cale Makar - UMass (Amherst), NCAA (2017, 4th, COL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Yeah Barrie is not a great comparable for Makar. I know it's easy to compare the highest scoring Avs defenseman to the highest ceiling prospect. Barrie's shot isn't great nor are his raw offensive skills, which is why all the play Barrie at forward memes are so hilariously misguided. Barrie creates with his legs, which is why he's dangerous off the rush, which the Avs love to do. And he has great offensive instincts in knowing when and how to jump into the play. He doesn't have the highest hockey IQ, is not creative nor explosive, and isn't an especially good passer, which are all hallmarks of Makar's talents.

Makar is like MacKinnon as a defenseman, the way he skates and attacks is reminiscent of MacKinnon and many of us Avs fans who have seen him live have made this comment. Like MacKinnon had to, Makar needs to learn how to pick his spots and how to find different levels in his speed and attacking. His biggest weakness is trying to do too much all the time, not defending or whatever MSM meme is out there.
U make barrie aound awful, the guy is a star, you seem to be badly underrating him.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Makar would be lucky to produce more than Barrie at the NHL level.

Being better all around, sure.

Tralfamadore

Don't Panic.
Sep 25, 2011
Makar would be lucky to produce more than Barrie at the NHL level.

Being better all around, sure.

If he turns into a 50 point guy with just average defence I'd consider the pick a great success. Above average defensive play then were looking at a top pairing guy of course and the pick is a home run.

Reactions: Brett44

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
I think Makar could end up a Gostisbehere type player and eventually make Barrie expendable.

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
Yeah Barrie is not a great comparable for Makar. I know it's easy to compare the highest scoring Avs defenseman to the highest ceiling prospect. Barrie's shot isn't great nor are his raw offensive skills, which is why all the play Barrie at forward memes are so hilariously misguided. Barrie creates with his legs, which is why he's dangerous off the rush, which the Avs love to do. And he has great offensive instincts in knowing when and how to jump into the play. He doesn't have the highest hockey IQ, is not creative nor explosive, and isn't an especially good passer, which are all hallmarks of Makar's talents.

Makar is like MacKinnon as a defenseman, the way he skates and attacks is reminiscent of MacKinnon and many of us Avs fans who have seen him live have made this comment. Like MacKinnon had to, Makar needs to learn how to pick his spots and how to find different levels in his speed and attacking. His biggest weakness is trying to do too much all the time, not defending or whatever MSM meme is out there.
Wow... This is quite something.

Reactions: saxonmiller

StrictlyRandysDog

Sep 4, 2018
That isn’t that off base imo. Barrie breaks down defenses using his skating ability and hands, not by slinging slick passes around. He’s really not a pp qb, just a guy who is really skilled and good on the pp.

Reactions: cgf

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
Makar has much better physical tools than Barrie, but you know who else had better tools than Barrie? Stefan Elliot.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Tiger is partially right though, Barrie is a below-average passer for an offencive-defenseman.
Not going to try and compare him to Barrie, but pretty much this. Makar literally is the Nathan MacKinnon of defenders, he is explosive as they come by and has great puck-rushing ability. However, I don't think Makar is as dynamic as MacKinnon is for a player nor do I think Makar is as intelligent than Nathan is when it comes to offencive opportunity. But Cale has developed into a sound defender when it comes to play away from the puck. Still don't know if I like him over Pettersson or Heiskanen, but hey what can you do? Just gotta keep the faith and hope he develops into someone worth taking at 4th overall.

Reactions: Foppberg

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Tiger is partially right though, Barrie is a below-average passer for an offencive-defenseman.

Not going to try and compare him to Barrie, but pretty much this. Makar literally is the Nathan MacKinnon of defenders, he is explosive as they come by and has great puck-rushing ability. However, I don't think Makar is as dynamic as MacKinnon is for a player nor do I think Makar is as intelligent than Nathan is when it comes to offencive opportunity. But Cale has developed into a sound defender when it comes to play away from the puck. Still don't know if I like him over Pettersson or Heiskanen, but hey what can you do? Just gotta keep the faith and hope he develops into someone worth taking at 4th overall.

You guys didn't have a chance to draft Heiskanen .

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Makar has much better physical tools than Barrie, but you know who else had better tools than Barrie? Stefan Elliot.

You know what, hard to argue with that.

But the problem I always had with Elliott was that his intensity level was so low. I haven't seen that with Makar - quite the opposite - but you make a very valid point.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Screenshot

Look at barries last 4 years, like come on.

The guy is a damn beauty, sure he is not the best defensively, but he is a downright star, This feels like new toy syndrome in Makar.

If Makar turns into a player as good as barrie, colorado should be over the moon, especially if he is better rounded.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Makar is more dynamic skater, faster and a better slap shot. No slouch to Barrie, Makar will be at a different level.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Barrie will forever be underappreciated by pretty much everyone it seems like.

Colorado's D as a whole is, but truth is they have a lot of puck moving skill back there. Always impressed last year at how quick and smooth the transition was, it felt like a big reason why Mack scored so much.

That said, Barrie's real good, it does seem like a realistic upside for Makars offense, dynamic as he is. Its not thar far off from Subban, who he kinda compares to style wise.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Colorado's D as a whole is, but truth is they have a lot of puck moving skill back there. Always impressed last year at how quick and smooth the transition was, it felt like a big reason why Mack scored so much.

That said, Barrie's real good, it does seem like a realistic upside for Makars offense, dynamic as he is. Its not thar far off from Subban, who he kinda compares to style wise.

Barrie is great, puts up points no matter what, but does have physical and defensive challenges so he can get ragged on a lot.

Personally I see more of a Keith esque player (stylistically) in Makar if everything goes right.

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
Possibly of interest to this thread but here is a quote from Shapiro, one of the more informed writers for the Dallas Stars.

"The Stars were confident that Swiss center Nico Hischier would be gone before they picked at No. 3. The question heading into Draft Day in Chicago was whether Philadelphia would take Nolan Patrick or Heiskanen. If Heiskanan was gone, the Stars likely would have taken Cale Makar, who was eventually selected fourth by the Colorado Avalanche."

Seems like the Stars had both Heiskanen and Makar rated over Patrick.

Reactions: cgf

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
Possibly of interest to this thread but here is a quote from Shapiro, one of the more informed writers for the Dallas Stars.

"The Stars were confident that Swiss center Nico Hischier would be gone before they picked at No. 3. The question heading into Draft Day in Chicago was whether Philadelphia would take Nolan Patrick or Heiskanen. If Heiskanan was gone, the Stars likely would have taken Cale Makar, who was eventually selected fourth by the Colorado Avalanche."

Interesting, thank you. We did hear rumors that NJ considered Makar for the first overall selection, but we will likely never know for sure if there was any validity to the rumor. A lot of gamesmanship occurs leading up to the draft.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto

Patrick refused to interview with the Stars after they fired his uncle. I'm not too surprised they would have a negative opinion on him.

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
Interesting, thank you. We did hear rumors that NJ considered Makar for the first overall selection, but we will likely never know for sure if there was any validity to the rumor. A lot of gamesmanship occurs leading up to the draft.
True and also as a Stars fan I feel compelled to remind everyone to take our rankings with a grain of salt because we are objectively shit at drafting in the first round. That being said I find little tid bits like that interesting because while its one thing for Dallas to say "Heiskanen was our #1 guy" saying things indirectly like the fact that they had Makar > Patrick holds a bit more weight because there doesnt seem any reason to lie about that when neither player is stars prospect.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I know the Avs had Patrick-Hischier 1-2 but they never said who they had third. A couple weeks leading up to the draft they really downplayed Heiskanen and pumped up Makar. I never figured out if they truly didn't have Hesikanen third or they just knew Dallas was taking him.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I think barrie is a good comparison to makar, both great skating young Dmen with great shots and suspect defense.

Maybe statistically they are a good comparison, because Barrie’s had multiple double-digit goal seasons and 50+ point campaigns, but I think they will get those points in different ways because stylistically (as others have mentioned), they play differently and their skillsets have different weaknesses and strengths.

If you’re an Avs fan, I agree that you hope he becomes as “good” as Barrie (i.e. the level of a top 3 defenseman), but that doesn’t make them neccesarily comparables if that makes sense.

Reactions: tigervixxxen

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
haha offensively sure.

Would be sweet, but tbh I’m even more excited by his upside defensively. He’s so smart that with his MacKinnon-like explosiveness he could be a Keith like machine at getting the puck back before launching transition attacks.

If he ends up an elite scorer as well, we could be looking at our EJ replacement & our Barrie replacement all in one

But the real question is over or under Q Hughes point total? ;)

This year? Maybe over, in the long run I think Hughes is the more creative scorer but like Makar’s defensive upside more.

Reactions: 99664987
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad