D Cale Makar - UMass (Amherst), NCAA (2017, 4th, COL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
First mention of Heiskanen is from you, not me?

I'm ****ting on the person who put together the highlight video not the player.
Which isn't cool.

As I said, it was intended to be an all points video as are others in the series on our website but some NCAA highlights are tough to find and therefore not all were available so it became a "highlight" video. But trust me, the purpose was for a points ARCHIVE. And still, sorry the collection didn't knock your socks off. Oh well.

turkeyslurpees

Aug 26, 2018
Detroit
But the real question is over or under Q Hughes point total? ;)
Definitely under IMO. They are both elite talents but I think Hughes is more dynamic in the way he creates offense. Plus it looks like we (Michigan) will have a much better team than UMass so most of our players' point totals will be higher because of it. They are my two favorite NCAA players at the moment so I will be following them both quite a bit all season.

Garthinater

Nov 22, 2015
I think makar was drafted way to high for some one playing in such a low skill league. We'll see what happens, I like the Avs so I'd like for him to turn out well but I have my doubts about him

Reactions: MaKarter

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Well he's doing just fine in a high skill league now (Hockey East) and looked downright spectacular peer-to-peer against the highest skill kids in the world in his age bracket in January so I'm not sure why on earth anybody would hold the fact that he was playing in the AJHL two years ago against him when every piece of evidence since that time shows the scouts (and certainly not just the Avs' group) were right on the money with his talent and upside...

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida
It’s been reported that Makar has way better breath, though.

No, I can’t remember where I saw the reports. They’re out there though, swear.

Finally we have people looking at the important attributes. As was brought out to me in the Nylander for Makar trade thread, however, I still see no mention of Makar's generational rosy cheeks.

cale-makar.JPG

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
I think makar was drafted way to high for some one playing in such a low skill league. We'll see what happens, I like the Avs so I'd like for him to turn out well but I have my doubts about him
Lol Hockey East is low skill?

Edit: Misread that, my bad, but AJHL isnt that bad either. Its the 2nd best Canadian JR A league behind BCHL.

Last edited:

Garthinater

Nov 22, 2015
@cg98

I could've written my previous post a little clearer lol

I just wouldn't trust using a top 5 pick on someone who didn't even play in the CHL. Playing in a Canadian JR A league doesn't mean much for me.

Its like jost and Fabbro from the bchl. They weren't top 5 picks but I still think they were selected far to early. Coming from those lower leagues makes these guys look better than they actually are.

I could be wrong and they all turn into stars though lol

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
@cg98

I could've written my previous post a little clearer lol

I just wouldn't trust using a top 5 pick on someone who didn't even play in the CHL. Playing in a Canadian JR A league doesn't mean much for me.

Its like jost and Fabbro from the bchl. They weren't top 5 picks but I still think they were selected far to early. Coming from those lower leagues makes these guys look better than they actually are.

I could be wrong and they all turn into stars though lol

I think you make a legit point overall. And I'm sure many scouts are cautious to reach for these kinds of picks and do extra homework on said players. That said, I think there are always exceptions to the rule and these days scouts uncover ever rock in search of top talent. What impressed me the most about Makar was the way he performed in the WJC against players his age and older, many who have played in top leagues for their age group. He was extremely dynamic for Canada that series and, not only did he never look out of place, he shined.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I think you make a legit point overall. And I'm sure many scouts are cautious to reach for these kinds of picks and do extra homework on said players. That said, I think there are always exceptions to the rule and these days scouts uncover ever rock in search of top talent. What impressed me the most about Makar was the way he performed in the WJC against players his age and older, many who have played in top leagues for their age group. He was extremely dynamic for Canada that series and, not only did he never look out of place, he shined.
It was a gamble, and we'll see if it pays off. Blake Wheeler is a gamble like this and it eventually paid off (unfortunately, not for the team that drafted him). Turris was from the BCHL and was fine but not great for a 3rd overall pick. AJHL is lower than the BCHL, but with the prime examples, I think of mostly players that worked. The one thing that would have scared me with Makar, was Turris (and Jost and Fabbro) had high-level Hockey Canada experience. I'd caution anyone writing off Newhook with this logic, even if he doesn't play at the U-18's this year.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
I think barrie is a good comparison to makar, both great skating young Dmen with great shots and suspect defense.

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
I think barrie is a good comparison to makar, both great skating young Dmen with great shots and suspect defense.
Ehh, I dunno about that. I’ve seen both live, and Makar really doesn’t look out of place defensively like Barrie can. Plus Makar is a more explosive skater.

Someone on the Avs board mentioned Keith as a comp for Makar, and I think that’s a decent enough comp. Will he ever reach the ceiling Keith had? Maybe, but I wouldn’t bet on it. A defenseman that’s at the level of 80% of Keith is a damn fine dman, though.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Yeah Barrie is not a great comparable for Makar. I know it's easy to compare the highest scoring Avs defenseman to the highest ceiling prospect. Barrie's shot isn't great nor are his raw offensive skills, which is why all the play Barrie at forward memes are so hilariously misguided. Barrie creates with his legs, which is why he's dangerous off the rush, which the Avs love to do. And he has great offensive instincts in knowing when and how to jump into the play. He doesn't have the highest hockey IQ, is not creative nor explosive, and isn't an especially good passer, which are all hallmarks of Makar's talents.

Makar is like MacKinnon as a defenseman, the way he skates and attacks is reminiscent of MacKinnon and many of us Avs fans who have seen him live have made this comment. Like MacKinnon had to, Makar needs to learn how to pick his spots and how to find different levels in his speed and attacking. His biggest weakness is trying to do too much all the time, not defending or whatever MSM meme is out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad