D Cale Makar - UMass (Amherst), NCAA (2017, 4th, COL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
Way way too early to conclude now.

I like Makar a lot.

To be fair "I think" and "might" do not mean "conclude".

All these prospects have a ton to prove still. The Avs could have a really good player on their hands if this kid develops right and isn't rushed, but he has to prove it. I'm just happy we were finally in a situation to draft a defenseman high. We seem to always just miss on those (Sergachev - pick before Jost, Werenski - we just HAD to win that last game of the season).

Piestany88

Sep 29, 2017
He's going to be criticized for stupid reasons this year. If he rounds up his defensive game and scores at a .5-.75 PPG clip it should be seen as a good year. His D+2 Year in the NCAA will be when id expect him to dominate[/QUOTE
I believe Sakic intends to sign him after 1 year

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
next to mittlestadt i think makar might be the 2nd best player from this draft

Hischier is putting up a solid rookie campaign, Heiskanen is PPG in Liiga, Petterson is over PPG in the SHL, Glass in on a 117 point pace in the Dub, Necas is PPG in the Czech League, Suzuki is on a 119 point pace in the OHL, Foote is near PPG in the Dub, Valimaki is PPG in the Dub.

I think it is far to early to crown a best player yet only one year out when this many and a few more are all playing good as well. To be honest I expected more from Makar but he made a pretty big jump from AJHL to NCAA. Next season I think he will really shine.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Hischier is putting up a solid rookie campaign, Heiskanen is PPG in Liiga, Petterson is over PPG in the SHL, Glass in on a 117 point pace in the Dub, Necas is PPG in the Czech League, Suzuki is on a 119 point pace in the OHL, Foote is near PPG in the Dub, Valimaki is PPG in the Dub.

I think it is far to early to crown a best player yet only one year out when this many and a few more are all playing good as well. To be honest I expected more from Makar but he made a pretty big jump from AJHL to NCAA. Next season I think he will really shine.

How is saying that the two biggest pure talents in that draft might be the two best players from that draft, crowning anyone the best player already?

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
How is saying that the two biggest pure talents in that draft might be the two best players from that draft, crowning anyone the best player already?

Because you are saying they might be the two best players from that draft which is pretty hard to say considering what some of the other guys are doing already and the fact that most of them haven't even skated on NHL regular season ice yet.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Because you are saying they might be the two best players from that draft which is pretty hard to say considering what some of the other guys are doing already and the fact that most of them haven't even skated on NHL regular season ice yet.

Thus the use of the word "might"

Reactions: avsfan09

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
Well 1 of the 217 drafted players might be the best player from this draft.
Yes but as long as a person phrases something as an oppinion and not an absolute than it is fine to post. I can see being up in arms if someone said hes clearly the best player in the draft but using the word "might" really dulls the power of what they are saying. Theirs nothing wrong with positive thinking unless you leave no wriggle room.

Reactions: cgf

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Well 1 of the 217 drafted players might be the best player from this draft.

That is also true. Though not quite as much of a limb to go out on.

Can you elaborate on how you've measured and determined the 2 biggest pure talents?

Watching them play to assess their skills, creativity, and intelligence; and discussing them with other knowledgeable people who've watched a lot of the prospects in last year's draft...especially those who are closer to the game than I am? This draft had some really good talents even if it wasn't super deep, there wasn't a McDavid, and the top end guys were riskier than most years; but Makar & Mittelstadt to me just had the most raw potential...though they were also the riskiest top talents in this draft.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
That is also true. Though not quite as much of a limb to go out on.

Watching them play to assess their skills, creativity, and intelligence; and discussing them with other knowledgeable people who've watched a lot of the prospects in last year's draft...especially those who are closer to the game than I am? This draft had some really good talents even if it wasn't super deep, there wasn't a McDavid, and the top end guys were riskier than most years; but Makar & Mittelstadt to me just had the most raw potential...though they were also the riskiest top talents in this draft.

True. I see Mittelsdadt as being the best pure skill guy in the draft. Makar has being the best skater. But even then Hischier has some incredible speed and stickhandling skill. Pettersson has some great skill. Heiskanen is a rock on the backend and has displayed some great offensive skills. They are all pretty close and I don't think anyone has pulled away from anyone yet in terms of some of the top guys in their d+1.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
True. I see Mittelsdadt as being the best pure skill guy in the draft. Makar has being the best skater. But even then Hischier has some incredible speed and stickhandling skill. Pettersson has some great skill. Heiskanen is a rock on the backend and has displayed some great offensive skills. They are all pretty close and I don't think anyone has pulled away from anyone yet in terms of some of the top guys in their d+1.

Heiskanen & Hischier have really answered a lot of the questions about them this year, Miro with the production that wasn't there last year and Hischier proving that he could be a legit highend 1C; but heading into the draft I felt like Mittelstadt was the only kid who had the potential to become a true franchise center, like a slicker Scheifele. Pettersson / Hischier / Patrick all seemed more like excellent 1b or 2a's to me at the time, and I still feel that way about Pettersson & Patrick...though Hischier is looking more and more like a young Matt Duchene with every game.

And Heiskanen's season is answering the only questions that were left about his upside. So I'm completely open to the arguments for him having the highest upside of any dman in this draft; but I'm really pleased with everything we've seen/heard from/about Makar since the draft to. Love that he was able to step into the TC mix and excel in the summer; people who saw him at the avs rookie camp compared his skill/skating to seeing MacK for the first time live; and he's a huge player already for a team that has been in the cellar of the best conference in college hockey for a while. His #s aren't crazy yet, but his influence on the ice is.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Heiskanen & Hischier have really answered a lot of the questions about them this year, Miro with the production that wasn't there last year and Hischier proving that he could be a legit highend 1C; but heading into the draft I felt like Mittelstadt was the only kid who had the potential to become a true franchise center, like a slicker Scheifele. Pettersson / Hischier / Patrick all seemed more like excellent 1b or 2a's to me at the time, and I still feel that way about Pettersson & Patrick...though Hischier is looking more and more like a young Matt Duchene with every game.

And Heiskanen's season is answering the only questions that were left about his upside. So I'm completely open to the arguments for him having the highest upside of any dman in this draft; but I'm really pleased with everything we've seen/heard from/about Makar since the draft to. Love that he was able to step into the TC mix and excel in the summer; people who saw him at the avs rookie camp compared his skill/skating to seeing MacK for the first time live; and he's a huge player already for a team that has been in the cellar of the best conference in college hockey for a while. His #s aren't crazy yet, but his influence on the ice is.

I just wish he got into a better program. there was rumours of him wanting to go to Boston College but for some reason he was overlooked by a lot of the better programs.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I don't know what you're honestly arguing about here. Cgf can confirm I am not huge on the Makar selection by the Avs, but it's perfectly acceptable for a fan to theorize that Makar could become the best player in the draft. Canucks don't have the best scouts, yes, but they're still an NHL team having the funds to spend on researching these players and they had Makar #1 last year on their lists. Plus, with his style and how explosive and flashy Makar is, he is very well one of the players who could become one of the best in the draft currently. So whatever @cgf has said falls into a perfectly acceptable line for me even if I am not on the Makar train as of now.

Reactions: me2

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I don't know what you're honestly arguing about here. Cgf can confirm I am not huge on the Makar selection by the Avs, but it's perfectly acceptable for a fan to theorize that Makar could become the best player in the draft. Canucks don't have the best scouts, yes, but they're still an NHL team having the funds to spend on researching these players and they had Makar #1 last year on their lists. Plus, with his style and how explosive and flashy Makar is, he is very well one of the players who could become one of the best in the draft currently. So whatever @cgf has said falls into a perfectly acceptable line for me even if I am not on the Makar train as of now.

Sure everyone is entitled to their opinion. As I am entitled to mine to think it's far to early to tell. For all we know Necas could become the best player of the draft. I'm just saying it's not like Makar has done anything to separate himself from the pack. At this point the only one who really has is Hischier and even then it's up for some serious debate.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I just wish he got into a better program. there was rumours of him wanting to go to Boston College but for some reason he was overlooked by a lot of the better programs.
You have the second post in this thread, you know his story. He made the commitment when that was the offer presented to him when he wasn't a top prospect, as his profile raised he could have switched programs and didn't.

He's third in the NCAA in SOG from freshman, he's generating plenty.

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
Anyone that has watched him this year has said that he's clearly the best player on the team. It's just unfortunate that the team around him is total garbage. He's going to have a tough time putting up points, but I think once he gains more confidence it'll happen.

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact coming my way!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
Sure everyone is entitled to their opinion. As I am entitled to mine to think it's far to early to tell. For all we know Necas could become the best player of the draft. I'm just saying it's not like Makar has done anything to separate himself from the pack. At this point the only one who really has is Hischier and even then it's up for some serious debate.
Hmmmm... As things stand now, Hischier is playing #1C for the Devils (= seeing the opponents best lines or best defensive lines night in, night out) in the NHL... He is 2nd in points for the Devils, only behind Hall... He is 2nd in points for all rookies... He is on pace for 67 points... Just for crap and giggles, after 17 games he has two MORE points than Matthews had last year after the same amount of games. So, there's no serious debate about who has separated himself from the rest. There's no debate of ANY kind about that, really. It's Hischier, hands down, no ifs or buts.

PS: and let's consider another thing... Of the 2017 draft, only two players are in the NHL as of now...

Last edited:
Reactions: Etteduag ot Reseob

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
Happy he was drafted before the Canucks selected him, very underwhelming start to his college career.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Hmmmm... As things stand now, Hischier is playing #1C for the Devils (= seeing the opponents best lines or best defensive lines night in, night out) in the NHL... He is 2nd in points for the Devils, only behind Hall... He is 2nd in points for all rookies... He is on pace for 67 points... Just for crap and giggles, after 17 games he has two MORE points than Matthews had last year after the same amount of games. So, there's no serious debate about who has separated himself from the rest. There's no debate of ANY kind about that, really. It's Hischier, hands down, no ifs or buts.

PS: and let's consider another thing... Of the 2017 draft, only two players are in the NHL as of now...

Nobody separates themselves for good with one month.

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact coming my way!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
Nobody separates themselves for good with one month.

And where did you see me saying that someone separated "for good"? Did you miss my first words: "As things stand now"? "Now" =/= "for good". On the contrary: "now" means... now.

Jarey Curry

Avalanche of Makar
May 2, 2015
Finland
To be fair "I think" and "might" do not mean "conclude".

All these prospects have a ton to prove still. The Avs could have a really good player on their hands if this kid develops right and isn't rushed, but he has to prove it. I'm just happy we were finally in a situation to draft a defenseman high. We seem to always just miss on those (Sergachev - pick before Jost, Werenski - we just HAD to win that last game of the season).
And plus Rantanen over Werenski

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad