D Cale Makar - UMass (Amherst), NCAA (2017, 4th, COL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
This is a slow burn development player but when he gets it he has the tool to be a top pairing D-man.

Really liked this pick by the Avs

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Scored his first college goal tonight

He lead the team with 6 shots in that game. He seems to be taking the most shots pretty regularly. I expect he’ll start showing up on the scoresheet a little more often.

UMass now sits at 4-3, 1 win short of their prior season win total.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
This is a slow burn development player but when he gets it he has the tool to be a top pairing D-man.

Really liked this pick by the Avs

As an Avs fan I am always anxious about our development staff butchering a talent like this...though Makar's summer series showing and the praise he's getting from his NCAA coach so far is extremely encouraging. As is the success the organization had developing Shattenkirk & Barrie.

Hopefully we also have more success developing kids in the AHL when the team is just an hour n a half away.

Reactions: LickTheEnvelope

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
As an Avs fan I am always anxious about our development staff butchering a talent like this...though Makar's summer series showing and the praise he's getting from his NCAA coach so far is extremely encouraging. As is the success the organization had developing Shattenkirk & Barrie.

Hopefully we also have more success developing kids in the AHL when the team is just an hour n a half away.

I'd suspect he stays in Uni for at least 3 years. I don't really doubt he'll be a great offensive d-man, it's just how well his defensive game can adapt to pro.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I'd suspect he stays in Uni for at least 3 years. I don't really doubt he'll be a great offensive d-man, it's just how well his defensive game can adapt to pro.
I'll be very surprised if he plays 2 seasons in the NCAA.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

Though he could probably use a second season in college; it'll be a surprise if he doesn't join Timmins & Meloche to anchor the right side of the D in the Eagles debut AHL campaign.

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
The college schedule would definitely be beneficial to Makar. The light schedule gives him lots of extra time to workout and build strength. Also teaches him how to play against the older, bigger, and stronger guys.

2 years wouldn't be a slight against him at all.

Reactions: MaKarter

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
The college schedule would definitely be beneficial to Makar. The light schedule gives him lots of extra time to workout and build strength. Also teaches him how to play against the older, bigger, and stronger guys.

If he has a good year (doesn't need to be exceptional) and the fact he plays for a pretty lackluster program, I could see the Avs trying to sign him and start him in the AHL. The AJHL to the AHL was probably too much of an immediate bump for him, but with a year of experience in Hockey East, he should be able to make it fairly smoothly. If he was under a high-end coach, or at an elite program, I could see him staying longer, but that simply isn't the case.

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan

That's more of a myth. He still has to go to class and keep his grades up while any other league once you're out of high school you have way more time to train and practice.

Cale has had an ok start to his college career but some bumps were to be expected. He's been lucky in a sense that the start of the schedule was against bad teams as well. Curious how he shows vs the teams with actual talent

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
If he has a good year (doesn't need to be exceptional) and the fact he plays for a pretty lackluster program, I could see the Avs trying to sign him and start him in the AHL. The AJHL to the AHL was probably too much of an immediate bump for him, but with a year of experience in Hockey East, he should be able to make it fairly smoothly. If he was under a high-end coach, or at an elite program, I could see him staying longer, but that simply isn't the case.

That and with the Colorado Eagles moving up from the ECHL to the AHL for next season, I think the Avs will really want to load that team up with as many future avs and top end talents as they can to build the local hype & cement the connection between fans of both teams. Thus I'm expecting all three of Makar, Meloche & Timmins to start on that team; unless Meloche gets an NHL look this year and kills it. I also think that's a big part of why the team was so comfortable with sending Beaudin down to start his pro career with the Eagles rather than in a bottom line role in the AHL.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
My theory has long been that Makar's season could be over fairly early by the first of March if they don't make the NCAA tourney and that would give him at least 6 weeks in the AHL, maybe more if they actually make the playoffs. That's a good starting point to see where he would need to be heading into next year. The Avs are going to want him on the team sooner than later.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Yeah I agree. My preferred route for him I think is two years of NCAA hockey before making the jump pro, but I suspect the Avs and Sakic want him up asap and I think we'll see it happen later on this year.

Tralfamadore

Don't Panic.
Sep 25, 2011
I see the exact same path as Jost. 1 year in college end the year as a pro and come back the next year starting in the NHL but not quite ready. That's exactly where we are with Jost right now.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
His coach already said that he will be in College for one year, and next year he will be in the AHL.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Lets just keep him at Umass until Bednar and all the filth in Denver is gone. I don't want him being tainted.
Yep.
Leafs did the same thing with Nylander (not so much about the coach but the leadership group).

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I don't know the size of the rest of the players on the ice, but Makar doesn't look nearly as small as I thought he was.

Yeah I wouldn't classify him as small really.

He was 5"11 at the Combine last year at age 18. I think it's fair to say he'll probably grow another inch before he peaks. So he should end up at 6"0 exactly. He was also 181 pounds at the time, so he's probably around 185 now.

6"0 190 pounds is probably about what he ends up at in the NHL. It's not big but he's certainly not small either. He should be able to handle himself against NHL forwards on the Defensive side of the game.

It's the biggest area of concern for his game at this stage IMO but I think he's going to end up just fine in the end. Karlsson is 6"0 192 also and handles the size of NHL forwards just fine.

Marshmont63

Jun 22, 2016
The Heights
http://dailycollegian.com/2017/10/19/cale-makar-umass-hockeys-crowned-jewel/

“I think ideally, it’ll be two years at UMass and hopefully take this program to new heights, and take them to more success,” Makar said. “At the end of the day, it’s going to be on how I develop and where I feel my game’s at and where everybody else feels my game is at as well.”

This was written a couple of weeks ago, but it talks about Makar in general and how long he thinks he'll be at UMass.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
http://dailycollegian.com/2017/10/19/cale-makar-umass-hockeys-crowned-jewel/

“I think ideally, it’ll be two years at UMass and hopefully take this program to new heights, and take them to more success,” Makar said. “At the end of the day, it’s going to be on how I develop and where I feel my game’s at and where everybody else feels my game is at as well.”

This was written a couple of weeks ago, but it talks about Makar in general and how long he thinks he'll be at UMass.

It's weird to see a quote where a player can sound cocky but humble at the same time.

Reactions: cgf

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
My theory has long been that Makar's season could be over fairly early by the first of March if they don't make the NCAA tourney and that would give him at least 6 weeks in the AHL, maybe more if they actually make the playoffs. That's a good starting point to see where he would need to be heading into next year. The Avs are going to want him on the team sooner than later.

That does seem an awful lot like the Avs way of doing things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad