D Cale Makar - UMass (Amherst), NCAA (2017, 4th, COL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Avs have a smaller dev camp than most and don't scrimmage but I saw Makar live for the first time today and he was impressive. I knew he was good but the skill level he has is incredible. Reminds me a lot of MacKinnon. He didn't look overwhelmed by bigger and older players either, didn't look small on the ice and looked like he had good defensive instincts. It's obviously very early, limited but he certainly comes as advertised.

Would love to hear about how he's looking in the Avs prospect camp if it's started. One of the most interesting prospects from this draft. Hope he can make me a believer like he has done to the majority o the community.

The Avs, being one of the development geniuses, have a short camp with mostly individual skill work and skating with no scrimmage and very little game like situation. They've decided their competitive advantage is going to get everyone into gladiator type shape so they spend a lot of their time working out and on top of it held a two hour on ice session followed by a one hour session that half of the camp participants couldn't get through by day 3. So, Makar was only on ice for game type situation one day and that was my impression of it.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Is he suddenly forgotten now that the avs drafted him? We are talking about a top 5 pick here and some experts even said that potentialwise the best prospect of the draft.

He got drafted by a small market team that has been a terrible organization lately, no one cares anymore.

Jarey Curry

Avalanche of Makar
May 2, 2015
Finland
"may turn out to become not only the best defensemen from this draft, but one of the top blueliners in the entire league." That was said of Makar. This is what you can say is Rasmus Dahlin's potential also. So im expecting Makar and Dahlin fighting for norris in 5+ years.

AuraSphere

Jun 27, 2012
"may turn out to become not only the best defensemen from this draft, but one of the top blueliners in the entire league." That was said of Makar. This is what you can say is Rasmus Dahlin's potential also. So im expecting Makar and Dahlin fighting for norris in 5+ years.

uhhhhhh :shakehead

jasonr90

Jun 11, 2014
Maine, USA
As a Maine Black Bears fan I'm still holding out hope this guy signs with the Avs and plays in the minors or WHL. We don't need our competition for the cellar of Hockey East to be able to throw out this guy :laugh:

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

It's possible but Dahlin is waaaaaaaaaaay more likely to reach that level; and even if both get to their ceilings, Dahlin will still be better. Doesn't make Makar any less of a bluechipper, but he's not Dahlin. If we ended up with McIsaac next spring Makar probably wouldn't even be our best defensive prospect anymore.

Reactions: AvsGuy

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
He got drafted by a small market team that has been a terrible organization lately, no one cares anymore.

What is it exactly that prompts a Buffalo fan to come in here and say this?

Buffalo. The Sabres. You cheer for the Buffalo Sabres.

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015

Said by who ?

I said my wife has a great lasagna, but am I going to randomly quote that then claim expect it to earn a Michelin Star ?

And yes, this draft didn't have a top level that left the rest of pack far behind so it's not hard to imagine he, (or random 3rd/4th rounder) becomes the best dman or player of this draft, but that's an enormous leap saying he's Norris caliber before playing NHL players. SMH

What is this ...

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
Makar was the flavour of the month, Merkley has already surpassed him for next years draft.

Newusername

Jun 26, 2013
I am so undecided on this guy, can't wait to see what he does next year!! I don't mind the avs taking a "risk" if you can even call him that. He's a darn good hockey player

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Way to be a dick for no reason. Just trying to make Buffalo fans look bad I guess?

I didnt read it as him being a dick i thought he was kinda criticizing the hockey world for forgetting about Makar for being drafted by a non big market team

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I had him ranked 11th, which made him my 3rd highest D. I'm a fan, but dont see the worth to take him in a top 10 pick.

Just a personal opinion, don't get mad, just putting it out there.

Heck of a player to watch though.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
In general, people stop talking about prospects who aren't on their team unless something major happens. If Makar lights it up at the WJC Showcase this summer this thread will gain 10 pages, and if he stinks it up it'll gain 5. There's really not much more or less to say about him unless you went back and watched old footage of him, and people are less invested now that his location has been revealed. I'm pretty sure the Heiskanen thread has been even quieter than this.

Really excited to see what he does and if he actually shows up to UMass.

Plus, you really want a bunch of non-Avs fans arguing about him being an overager and whether he could produce good numbers playing in a better league? Because that is most likely the level of discussion you'll get.

Luddowich

May 1, 2013
Sweden
Said by who ?

I said my wife has a great lasagna, but am I going to randomly quote that then claim expect it to earn a Michelin Star ?

And yes, this draft didn't have a top level that left the rest of pack far behind so it's not hard to imagine he, (or random 3rd/4th rounder) becomes the best dman or player of this draft, but that's an enormous leap saying he's Norris caliber before playing NHL players. SMH

What is this ...
I mean there was an article on NHL.com where they labeled him as a "generational prospect."

lawrence

May 19, 2012
In general, people stop talking about prospects who aren't on their team unless something major happens. If Makar lights it up at the WJC Showcase this summer this thread will gain 10 pages, and if he stinks it up it'll gain 5. There's really not much more or less to say about him unless you went back and watched old footage of him, and people are less invested now that his location has been revealed. I'm pretty sure the Heiskanen thread has been even quieter than this.

Really excited to see what he does and if he actually shows up to UMass.

Plus, you really want a bunch of non-Avs fans arguing about him being an overager and whether he could produce good numbers playing in a better league? Because that is most likely the level of discussion you'll get.

2017 is the earliest draft year for him due to his birth date geeze. Its not likes hes missed his actual draft year and went the following year. put it this way, he's literally just 6 months older then Liljegren who has a 1999 Birthdate.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Way to be a dick for no reason. Just trying to make Buffalo fans look bad I guess?

He was drafted 4th overall out of the AJHL to a small market team that finished with 48 points last year, it's clearly the reason why no one is talking about him right now.

Last edited:

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Is he suddenly forgotten now that the avs drafted him? We are talking about a top 5 pick here and some experts even said that potentialwise the best prospect of the draft.

There's not many prospects who are getting hyped right now.

King In The North

Sean Bennett
Jul 9, 2007
Winterfell
The Avs, being one of the development geniuses, have a short camp with mostly individual skill work and skating with no scrimmage and very little game like situation. They've decided their competitive advantage is going to get everyone into gladiator type shape so they spend a lot of their time working out and on top of it held a two hour on ice session followed by a one hour session that half of the camp participants couldn't get through by day 3. So, Makar was only on ice for game type situation one day and that was my impression of it.

Any reason why they structured their camp like you mentioned?

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
2017 is the earliest draft year for him due to his birth date geeze. Its not likes hes missed his actual draft year and went the following year. put it this way, he's literally just 6 months older then Liljegren who has a 1999 Birthdate.

Also only 4 months younger than Dante Fabbro, both coming off their U19 years, both having gone the Tier II -> College route. One a late birthday that stayed in Junior an extra year, the other pressing straight to college.

That parallel and the ~5 spot handicap that experts put on Patrick/Hirschier compared to last year is what makes me question the top end of this draft. Maybe he's lightyears ahead based on tools but I don't have the eye to tell that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad