D Cale Makar - UMass (Amherst), NCAA (2017, 4th, COL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
Colorado fans should be ecstatic for this guy, but he needs at least two years of College hockey, I think. Sakic can't rush this guy.

This. I'm not the biggest believer in the Avs organization's ability to develop defenseman anyway. Let him develop in Umass as long as possible. DO NOT 1 and done him like they did with Jost.

Dec 13, 2010
I'm not sure why this opinion gets repeated so much. I saw Makar play about 10 games and did not see any obvious defensive flaws. He had great gap control, positioning, and a tremendous stick. The number of times he poked the opponent into an offside or turnover was impressive. No, he didn't bulldoze guys but because he is such a fluid skater he could use his balance/speed to leverage bigger opponents off the puck. He could also make a transition in a nanosecond.

True, he played on a juggernaut team and rarely had to spend prolonged time in his own zone, but he was a big part of the reason why.

I thought the Western Canada Cup, RBC cup and WJAC were pretty good places to look to find weaknesses in his defensive game. It's important to note that there were only 3 other NCAA committed players in the entire AJHL outside of Brooks (16 teams in the league, BTW), so he spent the entire season playing against mostly guys whose futures lie in CIS hockey or lower. He looked solid defensively in the AJHL, but when he played Penticton and Battleford and Coubourg or international teams at the WJAC you could see him struggle at times without the puck. And yeah all defense prospects struggle at times, but there aren't too many #4OA picks who even get the opportunity to struggle against a team like Battleford.

Again, on the puck he's a magician and as good as anyone in the draft--seriously--but go back and watch those games if you don't think his play away from the puck deserves scrutiny.

And as good as his juggernaut team was, they lost out in the RBC Cup final to a Cobourg team with only 3 NCAA commits. Obviously anything can happen on any day (and Cale had two points in the game), but I'd want to see my #4 pick absolutely dominate that level and he didn't.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
This. I'm not the biggest believer in the Avs organization's ability to develop defenseman anyway. Let him develop in Umass as long as possible. DO NOT 1 and done him like they did with Jost.

I think he could play AHL after one year, I think he'll need the AHL at some point and won't step in straight from college regardless.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Colorado fans should be ecstatic for this guy, but he needs at least two years of College hockey, I think. Sakic can't rush this guy.

I'm confident we won't rush him at all. AVS aren't supposed to be good for the next couple of years anyway, no point into rushing him.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Avs have a smaller dev camp than most and don't scrimmage but I saw Makar live for the first time today and he was impressive. I knew he was good but the skill level he has is incredible. Reminds me a lot of MacKinnon. He didn't look overwhelmed by bigger and older players either, didn't look small on the ice and looked like he had good defensive instincts. It's obviously very early, limited but he certsinly comes as advertised.

McSpecial DraiBlend

Feb 18, 2010
Kelowna, Canada
Avs have a smaller dev camp than most and don't scrimmage but I saw Makar live for the first time today and he was impressive. I knew he was good but the skill level he has is incredible. Reminds me a lot of MacKinnon. He didn't look overwhelmed by bigger and older players either, didn't look small on the ice and looked like he had good defensive instincts. It's obviously very early, limited but he certsinly comes as advertised.

Kid is simply impressive.
I've been pumping his tires ever since seeing him in his first year with Brooks.
Was blown away by him.

Reactions: MaKarter

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014
Hey at least we drafted a d... Probably means Barrie's on his way out. How's his outlet passing? Anyone care to give a assement don't have the time to dig here

Barrie might be on his way out but I can confidently say that it's not because of Makar. He won't play in the NHL for quite a few years unless Sakic pulls an Edmonton.

portamoral

Nov 6, 2015
If I had to guess who will be he best player from this draft in 5 years I'd put my money on Makar.

yup. this is the best player of the draft. he deserved to go #1. been pumping his tires all year from the moment i first saw him play. very special player. av fans are lucky

Reactions: MaKarter

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
If I had to guess who will be he best player from this draft in 5 years I'd put my money on Makar.

Yea I agree. His skating, hands, shot, and passing are all already NHL level. He's also extremely solid on his feet.

What he really needs is to play in a league where he doesn't have the puck all the time so he can further develop his game without it. Not even sure the NCAA will be good enough for that.

With the way he can skate and shoot he could play in the NHL tomorrow on a bottom pairing and not be awful. The kid is that good.

It's not too surprising though, considering the way things are going with young players these days. They are NHL ready at a younger and younger age.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
after some brief research, it looks like the last Junior A player taken top 5 was Turris in 06. The only other top10 pick over that span I found was Jost last year.

I have never seen him in a game situation, only highlights. It seems like a lot of his offense comes from walking the puck to the net from the point. I don't really see how that will translate to the NHL. He's destroying relatively weak competition down in Junior A.

He has a good slap, one time and wrister though. It's tough to guage based on who he's playing against.

How many other guys have put up similar numbers as a defenseman in their draft year in the A? Do you think there's a decent chance he busts?

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
From everything I've gathered I think the Canucks would have absolutely taken him at our pick had he been available. I also think he's the guy they were interested in trading up for.

I agree with the post above as far as the skepticism goes, but I've also never seen anything other than highlights and trust NHL scouts opinion over mine. And obviously my team loved him too.

Think he's a good bet to be a top 4 guy, if not more. Should be a good player for the Avs.

jfb392

Jul 7, 2010
I thought the Western Canada Cup, RBC cup and WJAC were pretty good places to look to find weaknesses in his defensive game. It's important to note that there were only 3 other NCAA committed players in the entire AJHL outside of Brooks (16 teams in the league, BTW), so he spent the entire season playing against mostly guys whose futures lie in CIS hockey or lower. He looked solid defensively in the AJHL, but when he played Penticton and Battleford and Coubourg or international teams at the WJAC you could see him struggle at times without the puck. And yeah all defense prospects struggle at times, but there aren't too many #4OA picks who even get the opportunity to struggle against a team like Battleford.

Again, on the puck he's a magician and as good as anyone in the draft--seriously--but go back and watch those games if you don't think his play away from the puck deserves scrutiny.

And as good as his juggernaut team was, they lost out in the RBC Cup final to a Cobourg team with only 3 NCAA commits. Obviously anything can happen on any day (and Cale had two points in the game), but I'd want to see my #4 pick absolutely dominate that level and he didn't.
Not sure where you came up with your count of three, there are numerous players outside of Brooks committed to NCAA schools:
Xuaegcj.jpg

The AJ is about on par with the OJ and CCHL. Only the BCHL has a greater number of commits within the CJHL.

reillysmith38

Dec 22, 2013
It will be very easy to tell how good he is based on his play at UMass.

If he dominates you know he will be good. UMass is very bad and he will be on the ice against the top competition in hockey east.

I remember watching Montour play and he dominated the play on the ice even when UMass was getting blown out.

Makar will be one and done because I foresee him dominating college this year.

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
^ in that sense, the UMass minutemen have never been as popular as they will be this season...

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Im just waiting till Regina Pats acquire his rights... Its a very specific prediction but im sticking to it!!haha

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014

Kudos for italicizing a blatantly erroneous claim, this is a level of creativity I have yet to encounter on Hfboards....

google 'AJHL NCAA commitments' and make sure you switch to the 2016-2017 season, and maybe grab a glass of water for me

I am so excited to read your response to this..."It's important to note....." what, that you have no idea what you are talking about?

Last edited:

leafs in five

Feb 4, 2007
engelland
Kudos for italicizing a blatantly erroneous claim, this is a level of creativity I have yet to encounter on Hfboards....

google 'AJHL NCAA commitments' and make sure you switch to the 2016-2017 season, and maybe grab a glass of water for me

I am so excited to read your response to this..."It's important to note....." what, that you have no idea what you are talking about?

truth detective

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
I was holding on to the 1 percent chance people passed on him because of "size" and wishing he dropped to the Leafs. Liljegren was a good consolation prize though. I genuinely believe Makar has Karlsson level offensive potential. His skill matches up with his insane skating.

TMLife*

Auston Matthews
Jun 16, 2010
Victoria, BC
This isn’t who I would’ve had COL picking, but I think it was smart to swing for the fences considering they lost the lottery. Bit of a risk picking him here, but I think the upside gamble was worth taking.

Can’t wait to see how he progresses :)

TMLife*

Auston Matthews
Jun 16, 2010
Victoria, BC

I don’t know what you’re saying

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
This isnâ€Â™t who I wouldâ€Â™ve had COL picking, but I think it was smart to swing for the fences considering they lost the lottery. Bit of a risk picking him here, but I think the upside gamble was worth taking.

Canâ€Â™t wait to see how he progresses :)

One thing I like about this gamble is that RD is one spot where the avs weren't in too bad of shape even before drafting Makar & Timmins...with EJ & Barrie filling out the top 4 in the NHL; Mironov coming over for the third pairing; and Meloche being an exciting top 4 prospect in his own right, who's starting his pro career this season and could well be NHL ready next summer.

So if Makar stagnates below his ceiling, the team could probably withstand it if we can add a stud LHD at the top of net year's draft...or Francis gets desperate and puts Hanifin on the table for Duchene...

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2010

An honest apology that when I went to the league's commitment page it took me to a season that hasn't even started yet and showed Cale Makar as a player. Wouldn't have expected that. My bad.

Jarey Curry

Avalanche of Makar
May 2, 2015
Finland
Is he suddenly forgotten now that the avs drafted him? We are talking about a top 5 pick here and some experts even said that potentialwise the best prospect of the draft.

Luddowich

May 1, 2013
Sweden
Would love to hear about how he's looking in the Avs prospect camp if it's started. One of the most interesting prospects from this draft. Hope he can make me a believer like he has done to the majority o the community.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad