D Cale Makar - UMass (Amherst), NCAA (2017, 4th, COL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
That poster keeps going around spouting nonsense. UMass-Amherst was a very poor team in the past, but got a great freshman class and have a brand new coaching regime.

Any issues surrounding UMass is that they're wildcard and we don't know what's going to happen. However, getting Ferraro, Makar, Albrecht, Lagunov and Murray will improve any program even if it is UMass or North Dakota.

Mario Ferraro and Cale Makar are going to dazzle the crowds next year

Guy Gadowsky

May 10, 2017
Why is the kid going to such a poor program? Is there no way for him to pick a different school at this point?

He committed to Amherst way before he shot up the draft boards and stuck with it. John Micheletto could find some talent but couldn't coach them at all

That poster keeps going around spouting nonsense. UMass-Amherst was a very poor team in the past, but got a great freshman class and have a brand new coaching regime.

Any issues surrounding UMass is that they're wildcard and we don't know what's going to happen. However, getting Ferraro, Makar, Albrecht, Lagunov and Murray will improve any program even if it is UMass or North Dakota.

Amherst won a whopping 5 games last year and play in Hockey East. They're not going to be much better in 17-18. Makar and several other recruits were all Micheletto's recruits and Carvel is cutting half the team as well. A team full of young players don't win that many games. I don't think Carvel is that special of a coach either. Yeah, he's better than Micheletto but that's the lowest of bars. His record at St. Lawrence wasn't particularly special and he didn't win anything of note. Is Amherst easier to recruit than St. Lawrence? I honestly dunno, but the gap probably isn't too large in either direction. UMass ceiling is 5th in Hockey East for the foreseeable future and they won't get there soon

John Micheletto could find talent but his X and Os were awful. Hey, let me play firewagon hockey but not actually teach my kids how to play firewagon hockey. Or defense. My system is so awesome despite the fact that it requires every d-man to be Erik Karlsson

Reactions: MaKarter

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Looking past wins and losses....how does Amherst look for developing their new class of recruits? That's the real key here.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
From the avs board where one of our posters has been at the showcase

Makar was a big part of PLD's PP goal late in the second, as he was the PP QB and he showed some confidence moving the puck and opening up lanes (No assist, he was 4th to touch, but started the play). He is really good on the blue line. He showed really high end ability to read the play and get to the right place at both ends last night. His reads at times, and where he chose to go on the ice just made it easier on his team mates. I'm worrying less and less about his defensive game, as his IQ is showing on both sides of the puck. He does not play nearly as risky of a game as you'd think. I'd describe it as; efficient, opportunistic, and intelligent. That could be him stepping back a touch trying to impress, but I just didn't see him try a lot of low percentage plays, and the puck was always moving forward while he was on the ice. That goes for most of the week as well.

Makar really did have a great game for the most part, and he made a lot of the ice he was given. You could tell he was new to the group, and wasn't part of the core there early, but he was quickly forcing his way up the depth chart despite the nerves.

I'm personally throwing out any Karlsson comparisons. I get that people want to create that kind of hype with a guy that scored like he does, but I just see Duncan Keith when I watch him. In this WJSS hes actually played a more responsible style than Keith did when he was younger. I just think with Keith's build at the same age, more efficient two way game, and still elite offensive ability (not PPG), it just makes more sense than comparing Makar to someone who puts up 70 points a season in this day and age.

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
Looking past wins and losses....how does Amherst look for developing their new class of recruits? That's the real key here.

I dont remember exactly the quote but the coach mentioned Makar should be playing close to 30 mins a game there haha. Maybe 25 would be more realistic but heavy playing time against good competition will be good for him.

wishywashy19

Dec 14, 2011
I dont remember exactly the quote but the coach mentioned Makar should be playing close to 30 mins a game there haha. Maybe 25 would be more realistic but heavy playing time against good competition will be good for him.

if this guy is so good which appears that he is and solid draft position. why wasn't he on the radar for last years junior team. Surely he would have made it over Bean.
Is this a case of someone( HC) not doing their homework.
he seems to have come out of the woodwork.

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
if this guy is so good which appears that he is and solid draft position. why wasn't he on the radar for last years junior team. Surely he would have made it over Bean.

I'm not sure I'm the one to answer that. I think he got more exposure as the season went on and scouts fell in love with his personality, skill level and smarts. Just to be clear I was talking about his college coach not his WJC coach. Obviously the weak draft and him showing ability to adjust to competition at the RBC cup and wjc 17s helped cement him in some scouts minds. Playing in the AJHL probably hurt his status a lot early until the CHL scouts got some more tape on him.

Anyways these are mostly guesses. He still has a lot to prove but there is a lot to like and him getting big minutes right away against good competition will be great for him.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL

What are you talking about? He was drafted by the Medicine Hat Tigres in 2013 and if he wasn't rumoured to go down the NCAA route he would have been drafted higher than the 8th round. I don't think you understand that some players prefer the NCAA and think it's the better path. There is no good or preferable league to go to, each junior league has its pro and cons. If you're talking about Team Canada, HC normally plays politics and take heavy CHL because that's where majority of their scouts are in. NCAA is up there with the CHL, but those players on the national junior team are normally anomalies from the NCAA.

Additionally, there is always one to two players who come out of nowhere for every draft. In 2011 it was Landeskog, 2012 it was Lindholm, 2013 Barkov, 2014 Draisaitl, 2015 Meier, 2016 Keller, and finally in 2017 Makar.

wishywashy19

Dec 14, 2011
What are you talking about? He was drafted by the Medicine Hat Tigres in 2013 and if he wasn't rumoured to go down the NCAA route he would have been drafted higher than the 8th round. I don't think you understand that some players prefer the NCAA and think it's the better path. There is no good or preferable league to go to, each

junior league has its pro and cons. If you're talking about Team Canada, HC normally plays politics and take heavy CHL because that's where majority of their scouts are in. NCAA is up there with the CHL,

but those players on the national junior team are normally anomalies from the NCAA.

Additionally, there is always one to two players who come out of

nowhere for every draft. In 2011 it was Landeskog, 2012 it was Lindholm, 2013 Barkov, 2014 Draisaitl, 2015 Meier, 2016 Keller, and finally in 2017 Makar.

Makar was under Hc nose.
The ones listed were non Canadian
Easy tiger!

Luddowich

May 1, 2013
Sweden
What are you talking about? He was drafted by the Medicine Hat Tigres in 2013 and if he wasn't rumoured to go down the NCAA route he would have been drafted higher than the 8th round. I don't think you understand that some players prefer the NCAA and think it's the better path. There is no good or preferable league to go to, each junior league has its pro and cons. If you're talking about Team Canada, HC normally plays politics and take heavy CHL because that's where majority of their scouts are in. NCAA is up there with the CHL, but those players on the national junior team are normally anomalies from the NCAA.

Additionally, there is always one to two players who come out of nowhere for every draft. In 2011 it was Landeskog, 2012 it was Lindholm, 2013 Barkov, 2014 Draisaitl, 2015 Meier, 2016 Keller, and finally in 2017 Makar.
What? Landeskog would likely be a SHL regular at 16/17 years of age. Lindholm, I can agree with.
Barkov was probably seen as the biggest talent of all time in Finland. Draisaitl dominated the German juniors but people were well aware of who he was. Hard to compare stats though. Meier I can't speak off and Keller scored 2 PPG in the WHC-17 and was PPG+ in USHL -1 draft year. These players did everything but not come out of nowhere, Lindholm is likely the only one who that could apply too.
Or did i misread this?

Mar 12, 2009
What? Landeskog would likely be a SHL regular at 16/17 years of age. Lindholm, I can agree with.
Barkov was probably seen as the biggest talent of all time in Finland. Draisaitl dominated the German juniors but people were well aware of who he was. Hard to compare stats though. Meier I can't speak off and Keller scored 2 PPG in the WHC-17 and was PPG+ in USHL -1 draft year. These players did everything but not come out of nowhere, Lindholm is likely the only one who that could apply too.
Or did i misread this?

Ya, when he was acquired by Kitchener I remember him already being talked about as a potential top NHL draft pick.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I was hoping the avs would tank for Landeskog a year before his draft...but at that time he was seen as more of a top 10 pick than a top 2 guy. As the year went on he solidified himself in that top tier with RNH & Larsson.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
One thing I am not seeing anyone talk about.. With the history, especially with defense, of doing the 4 year college route and then leaving as a UFA to whatever team they pleased not a worry? I get that he had a high end skillset and all that, and IMO just the level of competition question is a big enough question mark at 4th OA.

When you add that he is at least 4 years away and can walk at the end even if he makes it, doesn't this make it one of the riskiest picks of the last decade? Unless Sakic thinks his potential is worth all that risk and he would rather take that risk then pass on him for another player, I just don't get it.

If he does think that, you would think Makar would have been on the radar a bit more, and would have gone as the first D in the draft.

Tralfamadore

Don't Panic.
Sep 25, 2011
One thing I am not seeing anyone talk about.. With the history, especially with defense, of doing the 4 year college route and then leaving as a UFA to whatever team they pleased not a worry? I get that he had a high end skillset and all that, and IMO just the level of competition question is a big enough question mark at 4th OA.

When you add that he is at least 4 years away and can walk at the end even if he makes it, doesn't this make it one of the riskiest picks of the last decade? Unless Sakic thinks his potential is worth all that risk and he would rather take that risk then pass on him for another player, I just don't get it.

If he does think that, you would think Makar would have been on the radar a bit more, and would have gone as the first D in the draft.

The consensus is that he is not 4 years away. Most believe he will spend one year at UMass and one year in the AHL before seeing regular NHL time. Similar to the path Jost has taken. We will have a better idea with Cale once we get in to the season.

Even walking as a UFA is of little concern with Makar. He seems to be a very loyal kid and has shown he wants to be an NHLer sooner rather than later.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL

The consensus is that he is not 4 years away. Most believe he will spend one year at UMass and one year in the AHL before seeing regular NHL time. Similar to the path Jost has taken. We will have a better idea with Cale once we get in to the season.

Even walking as a UFA is of little concern with Makar. He seems to be a very loyal kid and has shown he wants to be an NHLer sooner rather than later.

This. When was the last time we saw a top 10 draft pick go that route? 4 years of doing college can be a really long time if he could be making NHL type money for 2 of those years.

I wouldn't be worried about this if I were an Avs fan.

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
Plenty of teams in bad situations 4 years ago are in great situations today. I wouldn't be worried about losing Makar as an Avs fan.

I also think he'll be in the NHL 19-20 at the latest.

Reactions: MaKarter

EscapedGoat

Jun 15, 2012

Barkov and Draisaitl were both locks for the top 3 before their draft seasons even started. You can look up pre draft season rankings and see that. In no way did they "come out of nowhere".

Landeskog was a consensus top 10 pick before his draft season started. He did impress and shoot up to a concensus top 3 pick but its not like he came out of nowhere either.

Lindholm was absolutely a come out of nowhere draft riser and I can't comment on the other two you mentioned as I don't recall if they were risers.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Barkov and Draisaitl were both locks for the top 3 before their draft seasons even started. You can look up pre draft season rankings and see that. In no way did they "come out of nowhere".

Yeah, especially Barkov was odd here. He scored 0.5 PPG as a u17 player in Liiga. That'd even be a solid draft-1 season. Had him #1OA for a long time.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
2011's come out of nowhere guy was Mark Scheifele. Pretty sure he wasn't even on CSB preliminary list. Landeskog, while not expected to go top 5, was well known after a very strong playoff run with Kitchener and had clear first round hype.

Some of the other guys were far from coming out of nowhere. Since I have the Black Books from 2012 to 2017 on hand, I'll just show you where some of these guys were rated a year prior to their draft. Barkov was 8th, Draisaitl was 8th, Meier was unranked (but got a write-up) and Keller was 9th. All of these are more than a year before their draft date.

There are always guys who come out of nowhere to an extent. This year had a bunch of massive risers in Heiskanen, Makar, and Cody Glass all going in the top 6.

Wouldn't say locks, but they were in the discussion.

The actual huge risers in those draft years were Ehlers in 2014 and Nicushken in 2013.

Last edited:

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis

Just because he's in the NCAA does not mean he has to stay for the full 4 years.

He's not 4 years away at all. He himself has even come out and said he intends to spend 1, or 2 years at most in the NCAA. And he has even said if it helps his development he'd want to spend some time in the AHL as well before NHL action.

Considering that's his own plan, it's pretty much a certainty that he will sign with the Avs in 1 or 2 years time.

Literally not risk/worry at all associated with him in the NCAA. Nor with any other prospects that are drafted this high from the league. They're all exceptionally talented and wont spend close to the full 4 years in the league before going pro. And the only way they can go pro before 4 years is by signing with the team that drafted them.

lawrence

May 19, 2012

Cale Makar made it clear that he is only going to be in the NCAA for one year, after that he will be in Colorado's system. Also the percentage of players that actually bail on their team after 4 years represents a very very very small percentage, although it is a risk, but a risk that is worth taking. It's a risk that comes with any player that goes to college. Kinda sucks but it is what it is.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

Can you name the last one who went top 10 in the draft and used the NCAA 4-year graduation UFA route? It was Blake Wheeler, signing 9 years ago and drafted 13 years ago. Every other top 10 pick who has gone through the NCAA development path has signed with the drafting team. It's incredibly unlikely that he would do the same, especially in light of his own comments about his development.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Makar has no benefit to waiting four years to sign with another team. He'll be getting a max ELC wherever he goes.

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014
I know it’s early but does someone has anything on him since joining NCAA? Just wanna know how he is doing over there thanks :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad