U18: Czech U18

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Sale with 3 points... Kulich with 2 goals. Happy to see that in the boxcars. 4-2 Czechs

Well, we are still ahead 2-1 at even strength and our goalie has the better save percentage. :laugh::sarcasm:

Judging by the boxscore this is beyond well deserved and this could easily end 7-3 or 8-3 or something like that (and our goalie would probably still have the better save percentage lol).

I really hope you guys will be able to keep it close or even surprise against the big 2, so it will be at least enjoyable for you to watch.

I am really glad now, that I am not going to watch any of this whole thing.

Reactions: Czechboy

Czechboy

Ceší do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Well, we are still ahead 2-1 at even strength and our goalie has the better save percentage. :laugh::sarcasm:

Judging by the boxscore this is beyond well deserved and this could easily end 7-3 or 8-3 or something like that (and our goalie would probably still have the better save percentage lol).

I really hope you guys will be able to keep it close or even surprise against the big 2, so it will be at least enjoyable for you to watch.

I am really glad now, that I am not going to watch any of this whole thing.
That's the funny part... I will watch us play the US where the US will get 30 shots on us in the first.lol

Your goalie definitely has a better save percentage!lol Next Grubauer/Kolzig on the way.

Reactions: Maverick41

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
That's the funny part... I will watch us play the US where the US will get 30 shots on us in the first.lol

Your goalie definitely has a better save percentage!lol Next Grubauer/Kolzig on the way.

To get serious for a moment:
I have always liked Wolf as a goalie prospect, but I am usually a really shitty judge of talent when it comes to goalies.
Not sure if its more likely that he will be the next Grubauer or at least Niederberger or the next Stefaniszin (who had an insane WJC at one point that got him drafted, but did not pan out).

But I like all three of our goalies in this tournament. Dietl has already played some games in the DEL and done well in those few games, and Willerscheid, who will probably be the starter next year has also looked good in the games I have seen him play. It would be about time to get some more decent goalie prospects after years of nothing.

Now I am back to being silly:
How dare Nemec interrupt our parade to the penalty box. We were working on such a nice streak (had 5 penalties in a row), now we have to start over. lol

Czechboy

Ceší do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
To get serious for a moment:
I have always liked Wolf as a goalie prospect, but I am usually a really shitty judge of talent when it comes to goalies.
Not sure if its more likely that he will be the next Grubauer or at least Niederberger or the next Stefaniszin (who had an insane WJC at one point that got him drafted, but did not pan out).

But I like all three of our goalies in this tournament. Dietl has already played some games in the DEL and done well in those few games, and Willerscheid, who will probably be the starter next year has also looked good in the games I have seen him play. It would be about time to get some more decent goalie prospects after years of nothing.

Now I am back to being silly:
How dare Nemec interrupt our parade to the penalty box. We were working on such a nice streak (had 5 penalties in a row), now we have to start over. lol
Maybe one day we will have 2 Wolves in the NHL! Dustin and Simon! See who the best Wolf is.

When I read the Czech online feed.. sounds like the ice is a bit tilted right now. But that is a Czech commenting on a Czech team so who knows.

Antiillafire

May 1, 2021
Trnava, Slovakia
Maybe one day we will have 2 Wolves in the NHL! Dustin and Simon! See who the best Wolf is.

When I read the Czech online feed.. sounds like the ice is a bit tilted right now. But that is a Czech commenting on a Czech team so who knows.
IIHF site says shots are 51-7 but that website is also known for terrible innacuracies and just overall ineptitude. Seems like German GK is having a game of his life

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany

I think in this case the boxscore really tells a fairly accurate story. The discrepancies in both shots and penalties (the shots were extremely lopsided before even a single penalty had been called) clearly indicate that one team is carrying the play and is dominating possession. So I have no trouble believing the Czech online feed.

Really my main hope for this game is that Wolf can keep his save percentage above 90%.
I am already glad that our top forwards (Kechter, Lutz, Hauf and Elias) all have a point in this game.

I am just a little worried about the games against the US and Canada, and if the shot clock can handle triple digits.

Czechboy

Ceší do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
I think in this case the boxscore really tells a fairly accurate story. The discrepancies in both shots and penalties (the shots were extremely lopsided before even a single penalty had been called) clearly indicate that one team is carrying the play and is dominating possession. So I have no trouble believing the Czech online feed.

Really my main hope for this game is that Wolf can keep his save percentage above 90%.
I am already glad that our top forwards (Kechter, Lutz, Hauf and Elias) all have a point in this game.

I am just a little worried about the games against the US and Canada, and if the shot clock can handle triple digits.
I feel the exact same way.. just hoping for no injuries to our best players during those games.

Looks to me like we lack secondary scoring and finishing... tale as old as time!

The game was always a bit trivial as we are very likely to end up playing Finns/Swedes in quarters... pick your poison! Good luck rest of the way.

Reactions: Maverick41

Czechboy

Ceší do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
IIHF site says shots are 51-7 but that website is also known for terrible innacuracies and just overall ineptitude. Seems like German GK is having a game of his life
Might be accurate.. the Czech online feed hasn't typed the word Spunar (our goalie) in a while. It just sounds like we are possessing and circling and not scoring like always.

BTW.. since I couldn't find this feed.. watch the Czech/Slovakia game.. loved your arena! Big Pavol poster on the wall.

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
I feel the exact same way.. just hoping for no injuries to our best players during those games.

Looks to me like we lack secondary scoring and finishing... tale as old as time!

The game was always a bit trivial as we are very likely to end up playing Finns/Swedes in quarters... pick your poison! Good luck rest of the way.

I decided to make dinner instead of following the live boxscore the rest of the game.
Good luck to you guys as well and thanks for letting me hang out in your teams thread for this game.

Btw Sweden not off to a good start versus Latvia.
If Latvia keeps that up it would make the other group quite interesting.

Czechboy

Ceší do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
I just read it's been 20 years since we beat the us at the U18... Feeling real optimistic heading into this one lol

Reactions: Hemsky001

Czechboy

Ceší do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Kulich looks great
He's been very noticeable. Even on the D side of things. Looks to me like our one line with him can compete with the US... The other 3 cannot. Hope this gets him back in first round talk. His draft rankings all year have been all over the place. Button says he's like Plekanec... I don't really think that is an accurate comparable.

Czechboy

Ceší do toho!
Apr 15, 2018

My bad.. it's our 2nd line doing all our damage.

I'm really not sure what to think of Sapovaliv to be honest.. he gets mentioned as a first rounder but I never see his name on a scoresheet.

Czechboy

Ceší do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Looked promising for a while. Yeah..
I'm not expecting a great third period here.

When it was 3-1.. if Kulich scored there it may have stayed close... instead a nice save and then they score later. I think we're playing well.. States are just too good.

Czechboy

Ceší do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Shitty.. I was fine with loss but was hoping for no injuries. Looks to me like Dominik Petr snapped his ankle.. it was a clean hit and no complaints but it looks like his toe got stuck under him and broke. Season over is my guess. Shame.. he was playing well! Just bad luck.

Czechboy

Ceší do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Aside from losing Petr to a freak injury.. I liked how we played. I don't think we'll win Gold or anything like that but it was a good effort and we had a lot of good chances, a few posts. States are just much deeper. Kulich and Sale really stood out to me. In the third Sapovaliv and Slavicek looked better. No idea who Plos is but he had a good third period too. Hamara looked fine and goalie was good despite being beat 6 times.

Onto Canada! I'm expecting a loss but maybe the game will be closer for longer.

Czechboy

Ceší do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Was never impressed with him in the OHL games I’ve seen him in
He looked good in third... he seems to be a possession type guy that skates well and is hard to get puck from.

I think he projects somewhere between Radek Faksa (high end) and Ostap Safin. Raw project with good tools. Curious where he gets drafted.. not sure I'd use a first on him personally.

Reactions: Goodman68

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad