WC: Czech Team 2022

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Looks like we get Germany... It'll be tough but I think we have a decent chance.

Big fears... Grubauer is probably better than Vejmelka. Tied at the very least but I'd say edge grubauer.

Seider is better than every D we have.

After that I feel we have the edge... Our forwards are stronger and our D is deeper after the obvious Seider is world class part.

3-2

Reactions: GermanSpitfire

Goodman68

Jul 11, 2016
Looks like we get Germany... It'll be tough but I think we have a decent chance.

Big fears... Grubauer is probably better than Vejmelka. Tied at the very least but I'd say edge grubauer.

Seider is better than every D we have.

After that I feel we have the edge... Our forwards are stronger and our D is deeper after the obvious Seider is world class part.

3-2
I'm not excited about our game, but I hope we get ahead, although it certainly won't be easy.

Reactions: Czechboy

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
I'm not excited about our game, but I hope we get ahead, although it certainly won't be easy.
It's our best chance in a while... but I think Germany will be real tough! Agree, won't be easy and losing wouldn't be that shocking.

Reactions: Goodman68

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Blumel seems to be headed somewhere in the NHL (AHL) next season...

Also, Jagr ran his car into a tram in Prague. Admitted it was his fault. Funniest part to me is that he drives a Kia! I was thinking some fancy Italian sports car.lol

Reactions: Goodman68

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Little disapointed they didn't put him beside Jordan on the blue line.lol

1653521840493.png

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018

All I wanted was the win today and a medal fight on the weekend...

Looks like no chance to play Finland and the other 3 are possible.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Just can't beat the Big 4 teams at all.. lost to 3 of them in this tourney.

Agree with players of tourney.. Krejci, Cervenka and Vejmelka.

I will be very pissed if it isn't Vejmelka in net tomorrow!

Bronze and I'm thrilled so it isn't over yet.

Swipes

Apr 13, 2010
Just can't beat the Big 4 teams at all.. lost to 3 of them in this tourney.

Agree with players of tourney.. Krejci, Cervenka and Vejmelka.

I will be very pissed if it isn't Vejmelka in net tomorrow!

Bronze and I'm thrilled so it isn't over yet.
I hope we can find the drive to get bronze.

I want to see Jiricek playing.

Really need to see some more from Vrana and Hertl.

Reactions: Czechboy

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
I was sad that the Czechs couldn't keep the game closer. Some of the coaching decision by Jalonen were weird.. but I hope you guys grab the bronze. Czechs fans are one of the best on the board, you're always great and humble.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
I was sad that the Czechs couldn't keep the game closer. Some of the coaching decision by Jalonen were weird.. but I hope you guys grab the bronze. Czechs fans are one of the best on the board, you're always great and humble.
Coaching a Czech national team must be infuriating. I don't blame Jalonen and think he's been fine.

Not scoring a 5 on 5 goal in 3 games is really concerning. Same with not being

able to beat big 4 teams.

Good luck tomorrow... Should be a great game

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
I hope we can find the drive to get bronze.

I want to see Jiricek playing.

Really need to see some more from Vrana and Hertl.
They should be up for that game.. bronze would feel like a gold. Big deal to us IMO.

Agreed on jiricek... I didn't mind the cut and was fine with it but he has more offence then most our D. Just a bad D group overall. I like them all individually but as a whole they kind of stink.lol

Swipes

Apr 13, 2010
Thanks for the support FinPanda. We need something positive after 10 years of waiting for a medal at the WC....

Good luck for the final. You guys have a great future ahead of you!

Swipes

Apr 13, 2010
They should be up for that game.. bronze would feel like a gold. Big deal to us IMO.

Agreed on jiricek... I didn't mind the cut and was fine with it but he has more offence then most our D. Just a bad D group overall. I like them all individually but as a whole they kind of stink.lol
Agreed. Bronze would help, although it wouldn't fix the systemic issues in our hockey. Yeah, Kari banked on experience but I think Jiricek is quite decent defensively, and I'd like to see him gain experience before the World Juniors.

Yeah, the D issue needs to have a separate division in CSLH.....they should meet every week for the next few years until the problem is resolved!

Thank you :)
You're welcome! :)

Thanks man!
No worries buddy!

Reactions: FinPanda

Elias40

Jan 3, 2020
The crazy disappointment is the way the Czechs play in front of their own goal. Their defenders are softer, their opponents can't block the stick if the goalkeeper pushes the puck in front of them, they just don't sweep the puck as far away from their goal as possible. And Jalonen can't teach anyone this, the defenders must automatically have it in them, they know how to behave if the opponent hits my goal. Neither Hronek nor Kempny nor Simek even showed why I play in the NHL, they were as weak as the defenders from Europe. Even at this point, Jalonen will have a hard time, he just has no better player to take.

Canada read the Czech powerplays well, in fact it managed to eliminate the largest Czech weapon in the match. They weren't like the Germans, the quick access in the middle zone did not give the Czechs peace of mind so that in the offensive zone they could stand in the powerhouse with the puck on the hockey stick and prepare for the chance. In the 5vs5 game, the Czechs no longer had a chance, because Canada, after a weak introduction, fully concentrated on the game. And Cozens was just as annoying as needed and managed to put a 1-1 goal before leaving the cabin.

I don't want to enforce the referees' decisions, they usually forgive Canada one or two sentences, but today the Czechs can't claim that they were hurt and that's why they lost. It is clear that Jalonen must get another WHC tournament and then we can evaluate it, not after two months. This lesson will probably help him to better understand the shortcomings in the game, what he has to work on in order for his team to stand better against the team from the top4 country next time.

Reactions: Ippenator

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Best possible czech team right now?

I think Krejci and Cervenka showed they still got it. Amazing chemistry with Pastrnak.

Cervenka - Krejci - Pastrnak
Palat - Hertl - Voracek
Kubalik - Necas - Vrana
Zacha - Faksa - O.Kase
Kämpf, Nosek

Zboril - Hronek
Hajek - Rutta
Kempny - Gudas
Simek - Galvas

Francouz
Vancek
Rittich

Elias40

Jan 3, 2020
Pastrnak's sympathetic words after the match, he did not hide behind his short circuit and said his mistake weakened the team. I may think Dubois filmed and fouled first, but Pastrnak retaliated and was given two minutes. That's nice, he didn't need to hide and say how the referee damaged the Czechs. He took it on as a guy, this is not a common situation in the Czech Republic. Players in conversations after the match often see the cause of the losses in the referee's performance, but in this case it was different. Pastrnak is a dude.

When he started his career in the NHL a few years ago, the Boston coach also criticized him for his poor approach to defensive duties, and I think he put him in the stands or even a few games in the AHL. And Pastrnak took the criticism to the right end, wasn't hurt, and improved access, so he never had to join the AHL again. I like him as a person, when he plays a bad match, so he says, many Czech players don't do that.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Congrats to all you Czechs for the bronze and finally ending that streak of no medals in a long time.

I just want to say that when Kari Jalonen gets 1 year by getting to know the various Czech players in different leagues, I think that might create even better results. The time was probably too short for him now to find some gem players that fit his style. If K.Jalonen had more time, most of the players would've surely been the same but I'm talking about the last spots for the team that sometimes makes a big difference. Finnish coach Jukka Jalonen seems to always find the right guys for the last player slots, because he's so good at what he does.

I see K.Jalonen as a genius coach as well who will do better if he has more time with the Czech team. Both of these Jalonen coaches should be in the NHL, but NHL doesn't work that way that the best coaches in the world would be in the NHL.

Elias40

Jan 3, 2020
Congrats to all you Czechs for the bronze and finally ending that streak of no medals in a long time.

I just want to say that when Kari Jalonen gets 1 year by getting to know the various Czech players in different leagues, I think that might create even better results. The time was probably too short for him now to find some gem players that fit his style. If K.Jalonen had more time, most of the players would've surely been the same but I'm talking about the last spots for the team that sometimes makes a big difference. Finnish coach Jukka Jalonen seems to always find the right guys for the last player slots, because he's so good at what he does.

I see K.Jalonen as a genius coach as well who will do better if he has more time with the Czech team. Both of these Jalonen coaches should be in the NHL, but NHL doesn't work that way that the best coaches in the world would be in the NHL.
You are too optimistic, next year Sweden will rise from the two difficult directives they had under Garpenlöv. It no longer happens that about thirty players refuse to play at WHC. Hallam is an even better coach in crisis situations, he can react to the course of the match if he does not do well, he changes some attacking formations and most importantly, he would never let Nordström or Wallmark play with Nylander. After the end of Garpenlöv, I believe that the air has cleared, it will start completely differently from the beginning and the NHL players will be happy to play for Tre Kronor again. I think some of the rejections were just because of Garpenlö's coach and how he understood the game. Bad coaching is a strong argument to say no and prefer to prepare in America for the new season, it just so happened that Garpenlöv stopped having players' confidence in what he was doing.

Assuming that Canada and Finland maintain the current quality and are in the semifinals, the other two pairs in the semifinals are likely to be from the following teams: Sweden, Switzerland, Slovakia, Czechia, USA and Germany. So two places and six candidates, I believe Sweden, have the highest quality in the NHL, the largest selection of players and they have not had a chance to play for a medal for two years in a row. That in itself is a great motivation and I think they will be there. So Finland, Canada and Sweden will be in the semifinals. There is one place left ... I will not see the Czechia there next year. And I don't even think that with this bronze medal they will suddenly start collecting medals regularly. The Czech commentator said that the first Czech goal against the USA was scored after 237 minutes of play, when no 5vs5 game was played. This is a crazy number, because they scored their goals often in overtime games, but with a balanced number of players on the ice, they were not able to score almost four whole matches. It is a statistical anomaly, as is the fact that Finland received the first goal in weakening from Cozens. There have been more negative things than positive things in the Czech game, there is a huge amount of work ahead of them and now they will have elections, there will be a new president of the federation and a power struggle will begin.

Before the start of the tournament, I wrote that it would end ten years of disgrace and bring a medal. But I can't write that the medal was deserved and won convincingly. But history will not ask about it, they have a medal, they are at point zero and they can start their hockey, so hopefully they will not waste this chance.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad