Cycling

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Depends what you consider high end. They had some bikes in there north of $10,000. But the one I got is high end by my standards. :laugh:

The bike and wheels were originally around $2500, and it was rated the 2014 bike of the year. I got it on a closeout sale for $1800 before taxes, but still need to eventually buy clip-in pedals which will run another $200-300 for the ones I'm looking at.

It's a carbon fiber frame, and I'm not sure on the exact weight, but it ain't a whole lot. Actually meant to hop on the scale with it and see how much it weighs out of curiosity, but forgot to. For some reason that I'm not aware of, the website for the bike or any others don't list the weight.

Did you get that at an REI attack sale?

I know REI is a great place to go for bike sales.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Did you get that at an REI attack sale?

I know REI is a great place to go for bike sales.

No, I went to a local bike shop in Atlanta. I honestly am not sure I'd trust an REI rep to answer the questions I needed answered. I also get free tune ups / adjustments for life, where they said then they'd also let me know if say a chain is going bad and and needs to be swapped out. They also had a promotion going on at the moment for $100 in store credit on accessories if you purchase a 10 speed, so that was nice.

tobo

Jun 28, 2011
impressive until you figure that EPO plays a large role in cycling, and that it is the dirtiest sport today.

Until 5 years ago, I would have agreed, but things have become a lot better since the biological passport has been introduced. I'm quite sure that cycling is much more clean than the NFL, NHL, NBA, football and athletics these days. Of course I don't have any stats to back that statement up, but I live in a cycling hotbed (within a cycling mad nation) and have friends/acquaintances involved in that world. They all say things have become much more clean over the past few years and argue that the world of football needs to take its head out of the sand and clean its mess. From the looks of it, I don't disagree. I've played football for more than 10 years at a decent level and saw things that wouldn't be acceptable in cycling anymore.

The Imp

5-14-6-1
Jul 8, 2003
Copenhagen, Denmark
No, I went to a local bike shop in Atlanta. I honestly am not sure I'd trust an REI rep to answer the questions I needed answered. I also get free tune ups / adjustments for life, where they said then they'd also let me know if say a chain is going bad and and needs to be swapped out. They also had a promotion going on at the moment for $100 in store credit on accessories if you purchase a 10 speed, so that was nice.

Ray - you can save a lot of $$ if you learn how to swap out casettes (rear sprockets) and chains yourself, plus adjust gears and brakes. Also makes for a lot fewer workshop days, where the bike is unavailable.

I have more than my share of thumbs, and I'm downright good at it now.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Ray - you can save a lot of $$ if you learn how to swap out casettes (rear sprockets) and chains yourself, plus adjust gears and brakes. Also makes for a lot fewer workshop days, where the bike is unavailable.

I have more than my share of thumbs, and I'm downright good at it now.

I might do that eventually, but literally anything you buy from the shop that needs installing, is installed for free same day at this shop. It's also less than a 1/4 mile from where I work (6 days a week no less), so picking it up and dropping it off isn't an issue.

SUBdrewgANS

Let's Go Pens!
Dec 4, 2007
Abington, PA
www.drewklevan.com
How much is my bike worth?

10523227_10204865830075332_7988109474175932711_n.jpg

- 53cm 2011 raleigh rx 1.0
- Mavic aksium race rims/hubs (20h front, 24h back)
- Gossamir FSA crankset
- Shimano 105 brake levers
- Salsa bell lap handlebars
- Avenir 200 series stem/seat post
- WTB Thinline silver ado saddle

Probably some important things I forgot to list.
Bought from a friend in 2012 who raced it for half a season, no crashes.
It's in great condition, thought I would ride it more than I ended up doing.
I mainly road this bike in undesirable winter conditions to work and home.

I paid $1500 for it.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
A friend of mine is currently in the hospital with a broken foot and broken scapula. He was hit by a vehicle on his bike and if he weren't wearing a helmet he could be dead. The bad thing about it was it was an odd merger of a bike path and a intersection and it was his fault. SO not only did he almost die but he is going to have to pay for the damage to the car as well.

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
A friend of mine is currently in the hospital with a broken foot and broken scapula. He was hit by a vehicle on his bike and if he weren't wearing a helmet he could be dead. The bad thing about it was it was an odd merger of a bike path and a intersection and it was his fault. SO not only did he almost die but he is going to have to pay for the damage to the car as well.

Ouch! Glad your friend will (eventually) be okay.

I would suggest that everyone who rides spend the extra money and get a helmet with MIPS technology. I have a POC Trabec with MIPS and it's amazing. People who have had major crashes with them can't say enough good things about them.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Just got back from a nice little 30 mile ride. Absolutely MONSOON for miles 3-6.

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
I went to Allegrippis today, which is one of the best places to mtn bike in the country. It was built by the Army Corps of Engineers. Imagine 45 miles of pump track! I did 35 miles with 3100' of climbing and avg speed of 9.7 mph. Strava says I put out 2,220 kJ and burned 2,500 calories. My legs are completely shattered.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Dougie, did you buy both I take it?

That Trek is gorgeous, love the blue handlebars. Red one, not so much. :laugh:

D Fresh

I'm Back Baby!
Sep 11, 2010
Ottawa, ON
The blue one is my road bike. Got that at the start of the summer.
Red one is the one I just bought. There isn't a white line on my tires, that was the camera flash.
The blue one definitely looks sexier.

EDIT: Here's a better no flash pic
Snapchat-20140810062049.jpg

D Fresh

I'm Back Baby!
Sep 11, 2010
Ottawa, ON
The blue one is my road bike. Got that at the start of the summer.
Red one is the one I just bought. There isn't a white line on my tires, that was the camera flash.
The blue one definitely looks sexier.

EDIT: Here's a better no flash pic
Snapchat-20140810062049.jpg

EDIT 2: Took her out today for a small 15KM spin. The speed I could get on it was incredible.

MisterUnspoken

Vintage
Nov 10, 2002
New York
I used to get my cardio fix from running outside or on the treadmill but recently I've taken up cycling.

I usually leave it on the highest gear and go as hard as I can for 20-30 minutes.

Is cycling a good form of cardio/conditioning? My heart doesn't give er as hard as when I'm running but my knee joints don't kill after and It's quit enjoyable.

Also my quads burn like crazy after each ride.

Anyone else enjoy cycling? Can it be considered a cardio workout? A good form of cardio?

Cycling is an amazing workout. I try to do about 100-120 miles per week on my bike. Generally 3-30 mile rides after work and at least one on the weekends. I have a cheaper road bike made my SCHWINN that ran me about $400 or so. I upgraded the derailers, tires (to kevlar ones), new tubes, upgraded brakes, etc. Ended up with a pretty solid bike for like $650 or so. Much cheaper than buying a high end bike right off.

I'm now doing races and charity event rides of 64 miles and beyond. It's really quite fun and if you're thinking about cycling for exercise or to use as alternate transportation its absolutely a perfect choice.

So far I think my legs have doubled in size and I feel fit as a fiddle. My stamina is so much better its crazy.

Only downside I have with cycling is that the maintenance can be a pain in the rear end if you aren't mechanically inclined. Like someone said though you can definitely learn by doing - but when you're out 40 miles from home on a trail and its 90 degrees out (being stung by bugs) it's kind of a hassle. Also I've had probably 4 flat tires in the past year using older tires (not the kevlar ones) and that's obnoxious but at least you can pump up the tires and ride a bit and try to get back to civilization.

Also cycling >>>>> running in the fun department.

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
I'm planning on buying a bike no later than by the end of this weekend. Can't ****ing wait. :yo:

Have never had a "real" bike before, so going to get use to it on paths and such first. Then add the clip-on pedals, and then use it more for transportation. Only reason I'm being so cautious is I'll be riding it on roads with 3-4 lanes wide of traffic, and I don't trust people to not text and drive... So want to make sure I'll know how to, and be able to react if/when I need to.

The texting/driving people can be a problem, but so can the drivers that are hostile toward cyclists.

It's a Catch 22 for me. I definitely believe in cycling defensively (like driving), but at the same time, I have a right to be on the road, too.

I try to stay away from traffic but sometimes it's unavoidable. I find if I'm too timid out there, I get no respect and that can actually be pretty dangerous. Most drivers are respectful as long as I am, but it's that small percent of aggressive drivers that I am weary of.

I've experienced intersections in which I clearly have the right of way with the light and the traffic, but someone making a turn - who does see me, wants to pull in front of me anyway.

I was watching PK Subban's Ice Bucket Challenge live on a Toronto news channel's web page, and there was a sidebar article about a cyclist killed at an intersection.

Heck just a few weeks ago Corey Sarich was struck by a vehicle cycling and had to be airlifted to the hospital.

I love cycling and I do it avidly. I just admit to being a bit nervous out there. Again the majority of drivers I encounter are courteous, but it only takes one.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
The texting/driving people can be a problem, but so can the drivers that are hostile toward cyclists.

It's a Catch 22 for me. I definitely believe in cycling defensively (like driving), but at the same time, I have a right to be on the road, too.

I try to stay away from traffic but sometimes it's unavoidable. I find if I'm too timid out there, I get no respect and that can actually be pretty dangerous. Most drivers are respectful as long as I am, but it's that small percent of aggressive drivers that I am weary of.

I've experienced intersections in which I clearly have the right of way with the light and the traffic, but someone making a turn - who does see me, wants to pull in front of me anyway.

I was watching PK Subban's Ice Bucket Challenge live on a Toronto news channel's web page, and there was a sidebar article about a cyclist killed at an intersection.

Heck just a few weeks ago Corey Sarich was struck by a vehicle cycling and had to be airlifted to the hospital.

I love cycling and I do it avidly. I just admit to being a bit nervous out there. Again the majority of drivers I encounter are courteous, but it only takes one.

Yeah, I saw a guy get hit by a car a few months ago, who had the right to his lane... Then the guy got out of the car and started screaming at HIM for being in the way. It was absolutely ridiculous.

Although I don't have quite as much control of my bike as I anticipated, and I found a path that goes all the way from Atlanta to Alabama, so I'll never have to worry about not having a long enough of a path to ride on. Only complaint is that I wish it maybe had a bit more elevation change to it, but I can live with it as is.

The Imp

5-14-6-1
Jul 8, 2003
Copenhagen, Denmark
I have had two accidents this year, both with elderly far... gentlemen, who decided to turn left and right respectively, without looking if there were bikes coming. No question I had the right of way on both occasions.

Classic SMIDSY stuff, really, but I've decided on a no-mercy policy from now on. It's a full-on police report and everything, if it happens again.

I had my shifters, handlebar, and grip tape replaced after the latest one. Both shifters had broken in half from the impact.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Well, popped my first tire today, and was just about to pick up speed but hadn't actually done so just quite yet. Luckily had someone with me to help me out in replacing the tube for the first time, and was able to complete 38 miles after that, so clearly did it right.

It's been a messy start to owning this bike, with the crank snapping off on my second ride, and now a tire popping on just my 4th ride... but it's nice to learn how to deal with this stuff one way or another early on in the process.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Crank snapped off? Could you elaborate? That sounds like sloppy assembly...

Maybe snapped wasn't the best word, as it didn't break, but yeah... Was a mile into my 2nd ride, and it just fell off.

The Imp

5-14-6-1
Jul 8, 2003
Copenhagen, Denmark
Like, one pedal-arm just fell off? Or did the crank drop out on both sides?

That's probably just shoddy assemply work. There are two bolts on the non-blade side pedal-arm that needs to be tightened to a specific tension. I had something to the effect happen once - the pedal-arm was loose, so it turned inside the crank. Essentially, my pedal-arms ended at 12 and 5 o clock, rather than the infinitely more desirable 12 and 6 o clock. I was riding out of the saddle at the time... Still don't know how I didn't crash.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
One pedal arm on the left side fell off. Basically what the guy said that fixed it was what you said, sloppy assembly from the get go, and that they didn't tight it when they did my initial fitting.

The Imp

5-14-6-1
Jul 8, 2003
Copenhagen, Denmark
Remember to take it back to the shop after a few months, for a check-up. All shops here offer it for free. Basically, they inspect all the bolts, and make sure they're tightened to the right tension. On most bikes, the cockpit and seatpost bolts as a rule of thumb require 5 NM, but usually, the crank bolts require more.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad