Cycling

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Yeah, I'm going to do that when I get the new shoes and pedals... probably another month from now, and right now I'm only riding about once a week.

Thesensation19*

cycling is also good for the health of the pelvic i recently heard.
I like to mix up my cardio. Play a lot of sports. Do some jogs here and there. Add in rowing. Add in biking

jorbjorb

hello.
Dec 28, 2010
Leaves are starting to fall here in Winnipeg.
Does anyone still bike close to winter ? lol

IslesRock4

Ever Forward
Jul 21, 2007
Long Island
Leaves are starting to fall here in Winnipeg.
Does anyone still bike close to winter ? lol

I usually ride through the first couple weeks of October (coincides with the end of the pro cycling season) with some extra layers on. Then around there my stationary bike is my go-to. But that will never be as fun, of course.

The Imp

5-14-6-1
Jul 8, 2003
Copenhagen, Denmark
Looks amazing.

You going to throw some aero bars and use it for your 140.6?

Gawd no, I have my Cervelo P2 for that. This one's similar to mine.

http://cyclingmoxie.com/cervelo-p2-tri-bike-2/

My rear wheel is a 404 (that one sports an 808, which has a taller rim), and my hydration system's different, but it's reasonably close.

The Canyon is for La Marmotte next year. And it's hella cool. :D It's light, but about as aero as a barnyard door.

It was between a new road bike or a disc wheel for the tri bike. Although a disc wheel on a tri bike sounds ridiculously awesome, I'm already fast enough on the tri bike.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Gawd no, I have my Cervelo P2 for that. This one's similar to mine.

http://cyclingmoxie.com/cervelo-p2-tri-bike-2/

My rear wheel is a 404 (that one sports an 808, which has a taller rim), and my hydration system's different, but it's reasonably close.

The Canyon is for La Marmotte next year. And it's hella cool. :D It's light, but about as aero as a barnyard door.

It was between a new road bike or a disc wheel for the tri bike. Although a disc wheel on a tri bike sounds ridiculously awesome, I'm already fast enough on the tri bike.

Gotcha, didn't realize you were that into cycling that much to invest that much more into another bike when you already had a quality bike.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I've been biking year long (yes even through Canadian winter) since 2008

I can't recommend it enough, it feels great and people think you are crazy! I use a old school Fiori bike and let me tell you that large tires are absolutely not required for winter biking

I need to get on board with knowing how to fix and maintain my bike: I can do most of the easy stuff but I had to change the pedal box the other day and needed to take it for that and felt a bit dumb since the guy did it in no time

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Gotcha... and yeah, I anticipate that being an issue riding througout the street of Atlanta, since most of them (at least where I will be on a regular basis) are in pretty rough shape.

Make sure you get some real good puncture-resistant tires if you don't want to constantly be fixing flats. (My personal recommendation is Schwalbe's Marathon Plus tire.) You can also get tire liners to help out with that. It's also really important to make sure you keep you tires at the right pressure. (The tire will tell you the proper PSI on the sidewall.) Most people ride on tires that are hell of underinflated, which leads to getting a lot of pinch flats and makes you go slower. You don't overinflate either, as that has risks too. And, in case something happens while you're on the road, I'd recommend, at a base minumim, bringing along a spare innertube/patch kit, a travel pump, 2-3 tire levers, and a bike multi-tool (Park Tool makes some very good ones).

And just to lend my advice some credibility, I'm a bike commuter to work year-round up in Virginia. Our roads here are crap too. While on any given ride, as long as you're properly maintaining your bike (greasing all the ball-bearings annually, lubing and replacing the chain as needed, keeping your brakes aligned and the brake and shifter cables properly adjusted, etc.), you're unlikely to need any of that extra stuff, when something inevitably does happen, you'll be very glad you lugged it around all that time. It really doesn't add much weight or take up much space. From personal experience, nothing worse than getting stuck when something breaks because you neglected to bring any basic tools with you to fix it.

Penguins23

Le Magnifique
Dec 14, 2006
NB Canada
I'm thinking of buying one of those stands to put my mountain bike on so I can bike in the house during the winter, anyone ever use one of those or have any tips?

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
I'm thinking of buying one of those stands to put my mountain bike on so I can bike in the house during the winter, anyone ever use one of those or have any tips?

Do NOT get a cheap one with magnetic resistance. Get one with fluid or pressure resistanc. I use the 1up USA trainer and like it. Great for sprints.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Make sure you get some real good puncture-resistant tires if you don't want to constantly be fixing flats. (My personal recommendation is Schwalbe's Marathon Plus tire.) You can also get tire liners to help out with that. It's also really important to make sure you keep you tires at the right pressure. (The tire will tell you the proper PSI on the sidewall.) Most people ride on tires that are hell of underinflated, which leads to getting a lot of pinch flats and makes you go slower. You don't overinflate either, as that has risks too. And, in case something happens while you're on the road, I'd recommend, at a base minumim, bringing along a spare innertube/patch kit, a travel pump, 2-3 tire levers, and a bike multi-tool (Park Tool makes some very good ones).

And just to lend my advice some credibility, I'm a bike commuter to work year-round up in Virginia. Our roads here are crap too. While on any given ride, as long as you're properly maintaining your bike (greasing all the ball-bearings annually, lubing and replacing the chain as needed, keeping your brakes aligned and the brake and shifter cables properly adjusted, etc.), you're unlikely to need any of that extra stuff, when something inevitably does happen, you'll be very glad you lugged it around all that time. It really doesn't add much weight or take up much space. From personal experience, nothing worse than getting stuck when something breaks because you neglected to bring any basic tools with you to fix it.

After posting that, I've come to the realization that I won't be using it as a mode of transportation. Not yet, at least. I'm having more difficult with learning how to properly and when to switch gears.

Thanks for all the tips, though. :)

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
My plan for next year was to do a 70.3, but with how well my training has gone this summer... I'm considering just making the plunge to do a 70.3 in the spring, and pencil in doing the full thing in the fall. Biggest thing will be getting stronger on the bike... but I found a 6 month training program that I could follow from May-October for the full thing, and their suggestions on where you're at prior to starting that, I already fit all of those qualifications.

That then would basically give me November and December ish to learn to get stronger on the bike, then do an 11-12 week training plan for the half. Some rest and recovery, and then train for the full thing. Still thinking it out, of course, but just kind of spit-balling here right now...

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Better day on the bike than usual today, but hardly anything to brag about. Went 30 miles at an 18mph pace, on a bike path. That was my goal for the day distance and speed wise, and is pretty much about where I am.

Geo73

Jun 17, 2011
Glasgow, Scotland.
I bike about 110 miles a week, commuting for about 80 of them. I'Be only really taken it up since early June and I've lost 21lbs and have noticeably improved my endurance on the ice. I've signed up to do a 110mile rid next year for charity with a few teammates and hope to post a good time. Did the 49-mile version at the start of September and didn't find it at all challenging. Really impressed with how quickly my fitness has improved on the bike.

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
I bike about 110 miles a week, commuting for about 80 of them. I'Be only really taken it up since early June and I've lost 21lbs and have noticeably improved my endurance on the ice. I've signed up to do a 110mile rid next year for charity with a few teammates and hope to post a good time. Did the 49-mile version at the start of September and didn't find it at all challenging. Really impressed with how quickly my fitness has improved on the bike.

Very respectable results. Keep up the good work!

Geo73

Jun 17, 2011
Glasgow, Scotland.
Thanks UM, another 20miles today, 10 of them into a crazy headwind so I'm counting them as 15 miles :)

I need to look into proper training sessions to increase my speed. I cycle varied routes that include steep hills, long climbs and decent straights to work on, but I feel like I'm ready to work on more structured sessions.

I saw a few online articles that were saying for most serious amateur cyclists, under 1hr for a 25mile/40km TT is a big aim so I gave it a try on a relatively flat route and managed it in 1hr30.

What sort of things have you guys tried and had a success with, or can you recommend some online resources? I'm in Paisley, near Glasgow, Scotland incase there's anyone over this side of the pond doing the same thing!

dukeofjive

Jul 7, 2013
whistler b.c
I started 2 years ago a 30 min bike run early mornings, lost about 40 pounds, i do mainly cross country trails in the summer and valley trails if the sun isint up yet, put me back is shape after the first few months.

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
Thanks UM, another 20miles today, 10 of them into a crazy headwind so I'm counting them as 15 miles :)

I need to look into proper training sessions to increase my speed. I cycle varied routes that include steep hills, long climbs and decent straights to work on, but I feel like I'm ready to work on more structured sessions.

I saw a few online articles that were saying for most serious amateur cyclists, under 1hr for a 25mile/40km TT is a big aim so I gave it a try on a relatively flat route and managed it in 1hr30.

What sort of things have you guys tried and had a success with, or can you recommend some online resources? I'm in Paisley, near Glasgow, Scotland incase there's anyone over this side of the pond doing the same thing!

If you aren't already on it, join Strava. You can make gps maps of your rides and then keep track of how you do on individual segments. You can make your own segments as well. It will give you an estimate of your overall and average power output, which are the most important things to track progress. You can also compete against other riders, which can be, addicting :help:

The Imp

5-14-6-1
Jul 8, 2003
Copenhagen, Denmark
Had my first bike ride with my triathlon club last night.

I've gone swimming with them, where I'm clearly in the bottom 20 % in speed. That was expected, but I still felt a bit humiliated. So I was motivated.

So, I rode in front all throughout warm-up, then trounced them others (8) quite badly on the intervals. Feels pretty good :) Ran 8 km in max gear, at fairly low cadence, just grinding the road.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad