Cyberpunk 2077 - New RPG by CD PROJEKT RED

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
A reminder that this game isn't done, and there's still lots of work/polish left to do.

xMnhu51qks-P2hEqvnhxk_KHSVB2B7T8vIbYATKvZM0.png

Still a really excellent, believable demo. Certainly more believable than a lot of the Ubisoft stuff. Demo ran on a 1080Ti and a basic i7.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
It appears a little too "narrative-driven" and hand-holdy for my tastes, to be honest. For example, I don't want to be told to flank the baddie at the side window or made to go to the implant doctor prior to a mission. I want to feel smart by discovering the window by myself and properly preparing for a mission... and face consequences and learn from them if I don't. To me, that's real immersion and choice. The less that my hand is held, the more that I have to use my brain, and that's what immerses me in games.

That said, perhaps the demo was taken from early in the game, when it's showing you stuff for the first time, or only a limited number of main quests are like that. That's certainly possible and would be tolerable. I'm generally not a big fan of the main quest of most open world RPGs, anyways, and usually find my enjoyment in the freedom that I'm given outside of them. Hopefully, this is one of those games where the narrative-heavy, hand-holdy parts are a relatively small portion of the overall game, the main quest can be virtually ignored and there's plenty else to do on our own terms, for those of us who prefer that.

Last edited:

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
It appears a little too "narrative-driven" and hand-holdy for my tastes, to be honest. For example, I don't want to be told to flank the baddie at the side window or made to go to the implant doctor prior to a mission. I want to feel smart by discovering the window by myself and properly preparing for a mission... and face consequences and learn from them if I don't. To me, that's real immersion and choice. The less that my hand is held, the more that I have to use my brain, and that's what immerses me in games.

That said, perhaps the demo was taken from early in the game, when it's showing you stuff for the first time, or only a limited number of main quests are like that. That's certainly possible and would be tolerable. I'm generally not a big fan of the main quest of most open world RPGs, anyways, and usually find my enjoyment in the freedom that I'm given outside of them. Hopefully, this is one of those games where the narrative-heavy, hand-holdy parts are a relatively small portion of the overall game, the main quest can be virtually ignored and there's plenty else to do on our own terms, for those of us who prefer that.

They very clearly state this, at least once.

Anyways, this is probably a pre-order for me now. Looks exceptional

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017

You realize how huge this city will be right? How would you ever find that doctor without them leading you toward it? From what I took from it, you make your own choices and there are very real consequences from them. Doesn't seem like much hand holding..only to make sure you're able continue through the main story (like every game?). Plus they said it was very early on in the game, I feel like there was definitely a tutorial feel to parts of it.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I'm just floored by what I just saw. This will be the kind of game that will make most dev companies sit back and wonder "what the f*** are we even doing?"

I feel like like there's been a heightened interest in single player games in recent times and this looks to be an absolute game changer for the genre.

I mean, part of me can't even believe a full game of this magnitude will even be possible. The level of detail across the board is simply outstanding. The variety in combat, the promise of rippling decision making...if you get a full length game with that kind of quality and replayability that we saw in under an hour, it's not a question of is it going to be game of the year, but is it the greatest game of all time. Obviously, the gaming world has been fooled by exciting tech demos before.

But this is CDPR. It's hard to imagine they wouldn't come correct and they did give fair warning that the final product may look different. I mean for my money, The Witcher 3 (save for the combat) was a goddamn masterpiece. Cyberpunk 2077 makes it look like child's play.

This may be the most hyped I've ever been for an upcoming piece of media in my life. No question for me that I am 110% sold.

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
I'm just floored by what I just saw. This will be the kind of game that will make most dev companies sit back and wonder "what the **** are we even doing?"

I feel like like there's been a heightened interest in single player games in recent times and this looks to be an absolute game changer for the genre.

This may be the most hyped I've ever been for an upcoming piece of media in my life. No question for me that I am 110% sold.

Same here. I don't even like FPS games (though I do like RPG), but just watching this FPS game makes me REALLY excited, it actually looks fun unlike other FPS trailers that I watch. This game could very well be a game changer in the video game industry...

Tonneau

May 15, 2017
Montreal
While I think the RTX 2080 will probably be able to play it, I still don't think it'll be good enough :laugh:.

Of course it'll be good enough. They're not making a game that only 1% of gamers will be able to play. It's even releasing on PS4 and XBone for f***'s sake.

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
CD Projekt Red is just incredible... I hope they really pull this off, as it looks like they will. What they did with the Witcher 3 DLC was amazing. Then they hooked me forever by releasing that in-game video like 2 years later, from Geralt's perspective, thanking the player for the story.

Nerd boners, for days.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
They very clearly state this, at least once.

Yeah, I went back and listened to the start and they did say that, which is good. Hopefully, the tutorial feel is because of that.

You realize how huge this city will be right? How would you ever find that doctor without them leading you toward it?

In-game maps with labels for shops and other locations are good for that sort of thing. A game doesn't need to make you visit every location as part of a quest for you to know where they are and how to get to them. That said, I don't have a problem if this game wants to make you to visit the doctor the first time. It's just not clear if this is the first time or not, especially because the scene clearly establishes that she'd been to him many times before and was on friendly terms with him. I just hope that, after the first time, we get to choose whether we want to visit him or not.

From what I took from it, you make your own choices and there are very real consequences from them.

I'm not a big fan of scripted choice and consequence. I find it much more satisfying to make and live with my choices through my actions in the game than through my selection of onscreen prompts.

Last edited:

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Same here. I don't even like FPS games (though I do like RPG), but just watching this FPS game makes me REALLY excited, it actually looks fun unlike other FPS trailers that I watch. This game could very well be a game changer in the video game industry...

It felt like they were quadrupling down on Fallout's VATS system in a sense that allows for a great deal of player creativity in how they approach combat to a point that it almost disqualifies it as a typical FPS. I mean taking aside the moment of the reveal where the main character was using that crazy looking sword hands combat approach and how that may add even more depth to the combat, that boss fight did make me think to Destiny for a moment. I will still contend that as far as gun mechanics go, Destiny 1 was one of the best shooters in recent memory. The different weapon effects and class abilities made for some fun variety...for a while. The issue came to the boss fights and raids. For a game that was marketed as a FPSRPG, there were just so many moments where all enhanced difficulty meant was: more health and/or shields/elemental specific shields. Different enemy types had one variance in the strategy to fight them: shoot here to do crit damage. In the boss fight we saw, to weaken the enemy's defenses you had to find specific weakpoints and exploit your movement to get to those points and likely needed to fight creatively to exploit them without spending a ton of time shooting at a shield. Aside from Destiny's other flaws (narrative and lore for one), if fights were more like what we saw in this reveal, the game would have been far far better for it.

I had reservations about the FPS aspects of such a game but I had the sneaking suspicion that CDPR would find a way to make it fresh and exciting and my god, they did not disappoint. Save for the moments where the character was moving painfully slow, I thought the vision of a FPS in this kind of expansive game was executed perfectly.

And I don't think there's a question that this game will be a game changer. Where TW3 was game changing in demanding that top games reach new heights with its world design paired with a massive narrative to fill the large open world, I think this game gives off an appearance that it will change the game in so many more respects. Presuming the branching narrative and altered experience in relation to player choice is as expansive as it seems, it seems rather innovative in the size and scope of such a dynamic experience. The open world here, while there were some segments that seemed to have somewhat repeat NPCs, at the very least they seemed to be varied enough in their movement and placement. But this world, not too unlike TW3, seems so damn packed and alive. There was a moment where I was watching, as the main character was walking through the city, and I thought to myself "okay this really feels like a game where they've created a living/breathing world." And then with respect to the interactivity with the technology the character has access to...I'm sure we only got a taste of what the game will offer and that just seems to indicate an insane wealth of variety in interactivity with the game and its world and I think all of that packed together...this screams a massive game changer. I read today that the game will in fact be optimized for PS4 and Xbone and it just blows my mind because the game in its current state looks to be a half decade ahead of what everyone else is doing and is really the only game I've seen to date that really meets those levels of expectation I think we all fantasized about when the prospects of a new console generation were on the horizon. Unless The Last of Us 2 actually plays the way it looked at E3, then it would be a tier below this but still WELL ahead of the pack.

Last edited:

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Yeah, I went back and listened to the start and they did say that, which is good. Hopefully, the tutorial feel is because of that.

In-game maps with labels for shops and other locations are good for that sort of thing. A game doesn't need to make you visit every location as part of a quest for you to know where they are and how to get to them. That said, I don't have a problem if this game wants to make you to visit the doctor the first time. It's just not clear if this is the first time or not, especially because the scene clearly establishes that she'd been to him many times before and was on friendly terms with him. I just hope that, after the first time, we get to choose whether we want to visit him or not.

I'm not a big fan of scripted choice and consequence. I'd much rather make choices and live with the consequences via gameplay than via onscreen prompts.

First off, you don't know for sure those prompts will even be there when the game launches or if they can be turned off. CDPR seems to be immensely intent on emphasizing player choice so I'd imagine you'd be getting that sense one way or the other. Also, bear in mind the video even said that what we saw happens pretty early in the game so as you said, it's probably a pseudo-tutorial of sorts.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Let's just be clear, the game won't look like that demo on PS4 and XB1. The 1X will be closer. They can't ignore the install base of the 'old' consoles but this is clearly targeted at next gen specs, which is why they are using a 1080TI and an i7. I expect next gen specs to be somewhere south of there, and the gap will be closed by optimization for the consoles.

I wasn't really feeling the UI. I like how it is omni present and impacted by the implants you have but it seemed a bit basic. I hope it's a placeholder. Everything else looks fantastic.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Also notice how the player waited for that Royce fellow to turn his back on her to pull her gun.

We don't know but timing might be important. That could be pretty cool.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad