Curtis Lazar

Status
Not open for further replies.

BUCKLE UP

MVPTP
Nov 30, 2009
Ottawa
He'll go back to Edmonton and pot 50+ goals, captain Canada's WJC to a gold medal and overall have an incredible season.

John Holmes*

The experts have spoken.

Just like how Ceci was 2-3 years away last season.

Nobody knows what will happen with Lazar. If he has a strong camp and preseason and looks ready... he'll play.

If not he'll go back to junior.

FrankTousi

Sep 29, 2011
Gatineau
Wiercicoh is just incapable of playing on his offside. I say play him with karlsson this year. Let's him sit back and pick the passes or give to karlsson. If karlsson is elite like people say. He can bail out wiercioch on the mistake he does make. Methot-ceci
Cowen-phillips.

I like the idea

SixthSens

RIP Fugu
Dec 5, 2007
Considering the quotes from Murray wanting him in Ottawa last year and with the way he played this year... he'd have to have a pretty bad showing at camp to not get a spot IMO.

I would be all for letting him develop one more season, but if he's too good for that level of play now then what good is it? May as well have him in Ottawa and get rid of some dead weight (Condra).

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
That wasn't the debate. The question was whether he could be called up while in the WHL. I was wrong in thinking he could.

Wasn't there a CHL kid recalled on an emergency basis within the last 3 years? Iirc, it was a Canadian NHL team that had a ton of injuries and were short players so they were allowed to bring one of their kids up for 1-2 games?

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
The Sens aren't going to be competing any time soon. Why burn a year of his contract when he could be back playing a ton of minutes and captaining a solid team.

This sounds counter-intuitive, but you can actually play too many minutes. What happens in junior is that the coaches ride their 19 year old star players like rented mules. The defencemen play 30-35 minutes a night, while the star forward plays 25-27 minutes. What happens is that the players learn bad habits - you can't possibly go full out for half the game as a forward, so guys learn to conserve energy by coasting a bit, playing on the perimeter, etc. That is NOT Lazar's game. Do we really want to waste a year of his development this way?

The scouts are unanimous in that he was the most NHL ready player at the Memorial Cup. What's more, our GM pretty much wants to adopt the kid. He'll be in our opening night lineup AND in the lineup for Game 10 and beyond.

SixthSens

RIP Fugu
Dec 5, 2007
Wasn't there a CHL kid recalled on an emergency basis within the last 3 years? Iirc, it was a Canadian NHL team that had a ton of injuries and were short players so they were allowed to bring one of their kids up for 1-2 games?

Yeah, it was Cowen 3 years ago IIRC.

OmniSens

@OmniSenators
Sep 22, 2008
Ottawa
I would like to see him in our lineup, but I think it's safer for him to gain experience in Bingo. So, possibly gets sent down after 9 games, but I voted he's in our lineup. Fingers crossed!

King City Warrior

Aug 13, 2008
I would like to see him in our lineup, but I think it's safer for him to gain experience in Bingo. So, possibly gets sent down after 9 games, but I voted he's in our lineup. Fingers crossed!

CHL or NHL, he's too young for the ahl just yet, and has one more year left. He should get the 9 games but I think being Edmonton's primary offensive weapon plus likely their captain would improve his ability plus the experience of the world juniors would do him good. All of the pressure, expectations and responsibility goes way up once he is playing here and look at the some ottawa fans, and some of the guys on this board, they will freak out if he doesn't light it up.

I'm confident he could play this year but he could use another year.

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
really depends on what pieces we get back for spezza and if we sign a forward via ufa.

He wont be here if all we can give him are low mins otherwise he will be

agree here. But if there is a space, and he earns it, I think he'd waste the time back in Junior

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
Just because a 18 or 19 year old plays doesn't mean he's being rushed. If he presents all the necessary skills and attributes an nhl player, then let him develop in the big league.

Good enough chance he sticks around all things considered. But you don't make that decision til he puts it on the ice.

torlev*

I heard he could play in AHL somewhere, should have checked though. Okay, can a mod take out the 3rd option please?

Third option is still now allowed. Can't send someone to the chl then call him back up, outside of emergency callups. Once they're sent down, they stay down for the year.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Having Lazar on the team probably means Condra isn't on the team.

I'm all for that.

Lazar, Zibanejad, Turris, MacArthur, Ryan, Stone all in the top 9 would be sexy. Add to that whatever we get for Spezza, which will hopefully be nice.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Give him nine games. He's NHL ready, but I doubt he's get that much icetime. He'd be a good #2 Centre for us next season.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
I remember when I seen him play last year in pre-season, he looked pretty good. I was actually surprised and he looked like he could stick for 9 games at least in the bottom 6.

Considering how much he has progressed this past season, I don't see why he can't make the squad.

That being said, like Leave Spezza Alone says, him scoring 50+, captaining WHJC club and making another run for the cup could also give him much more experience and to hone some skills.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
i think at this point he would improve more after a yr in ottawa than with the oilkings

Hemmer Time

May 4, 2014
I think he still needs to develop his offensive skills, mainly creativity and maybe passing? since he doesn't have very many assists. I'd say his shot is NHL ready, or almost. I'd rather wait another year and get a guy who has a higher ceiling than get a guy who's offence will only allow him to be a 3rd-2nd line tweener. I think he'll be great defensively, but PPG in the WHL doesn't *usually* translate to very good scoring in the NHL.

I'd be happy to see him captain the WJC and maybe get 50-50 in junior (depends on how many games). Ideally, I'd like to see him go 1.5 PPG or more, if he expects to be a legit/very good 2nd liner in the NHL.

I'm excited to see Lazar play for the Sens, but I'd rather wait, let him develop his offence, and not burn a year of his ELC for a team that won't make the playoffs (assuming he only gets a roster spot if Spezza is traded)

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Like every other player he would have to have a great training camp & nine game stint to stick but I'm guessing he will be returned to junior after nine games. What's the hurry, the team could stink next yr & why have him around a losing situation. Give him another yr in junior then he goes to Bingo after that, let him work his way onto the roster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad