Cup Check Cizikis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
I knew this thread would be full of "But remember when Crosby did..." kindergarten nonsense. Never change, HF, never change.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
Can we get the genital contact out of hockey? What purpose is normalizing this serving?

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
I knew this thread would be full of "But remember when Crosby did..." kindergarten nonsense. Never change, HF, never change.
Shall we go into how Penguins fans kept bringing up Crosby’s stat line against the Isles and how he’s going to pick them apart on his own? That’s allowed to be ignored in this case but all his diving and cheap shots aren’t? For years, the Penguins as a team were given the benefit of the doubt due to the golden boy no matter what. He wasn’t even suspended for trying to take off Methots finger which was blatant but ignored due to who he is. He plays hard but also plays chippy.

Reactions: Quicklime

lorwood

Nov 3, 2008
I don't begrudge what Crosby has done and gotten away with in the past just as as a player I am sure that Crosby does not hold anything against Cizikis for what he was able to get away with. It's all about the competitive nature of the game and something that players understand but fans whine about.

Last edited:

nothingbeatshockey

May 3, 2013
It was wrong when Crosby did it and it's wrong with Czikas doing. This idea that Sid had it coming, or that it's OK for Czikas to spear someone because of X, Y, Z is garbage.
It was a dirty play, period.
Why these guys don't wear cups is beyond me.

Reactions: Icarium

Tuna Tatarrrrrr

Here Is The Legendary Rat Of HFBoards! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jun 13, 2012
LOL Pens fans... When one of your players do it then it's fine but when it's an opponent, it's "NeVeR cHaNgE hF, nEvEr ChAnGe"... :rolleyes::laugh:

Axel574

Dec 9, 2015
He was hitting people? Did Cizikas and your 4th line have no hits in that series? I counted a few.

But the point was that you said he doesn't play like that. Yes, he does. That wasn't an accident.

That was bunk... no question. Funny though.

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
LOL Pens fans... When one of your players do it then it's fine but when it's an opponent, it's "NeVeR cHaNgE hF, nEvEr ChAnGe"... :rolleyes::laugh:

Did I say it was fine when Crosby did it? The entire mentality of "But he did..., so we won't care that he is on the receiving end now" is childish and nonsensical. Not to mention hypocritical, if Crosby had done the same the thread about it would be at least 30 pages by now.

Captain And Coke

Apr 29, 2011
I am definately not alone in thinking cup checks are dirty and do not belong anywhere near the game no matter who does it. That being said, considering Crosby has done this to another player himself, it's really hard to have sympathy for him.

5 years ago, Quenneville got a bigger fine for grabbing his testicles during a bench rant than Lucic did for cup checking Dekeyser. I doubt it would be any different today. Perhaps if the league actually punished this garbage with real repercussions, the players would stop doing this.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
5 years ago, Quenneville got a bigger fine for grabbing his testicles during a bench rant than Lucic did for cup checking Dekeyser. I doubt it would be any different today. Perhaps if the league actually punished this garbage with real repercussions, the players would stop doing this.

Yup. This is all on the league - they have the power to stop all of these things.

Tuna Tatarrrrrr

Here Is The Legendary Rat Of HFBoards! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jun 13, 2012
Did I say it was fine when Crosby did it? The entire mentality of "But he did..., so we won't care that he is on the receiving end now" is childish and nonsensical. Not to mention hypocritical, if Crosby had done the same the thread about it would be at least 30 pages by now.
It can be hypocritical indeed but since Crosby has already done it before, this is the reason why you won't find any people here who will be outraged by this. Live by the sword, die by the sword. Or karma if you prefer.

RMimagery

Jul 22, 2006
Cizkas outplayed Crosby shadowing him all series, was the main reason that Crosby had a single point. As said, Crosby was cheap shotting him at any chance so...

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Can we stop calling this a "cup check" and call it what it really is, jabbing a guy in the nuts with your stick?

I've never understood why this is tolerated as just a part of the game.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Of course they do. Still, cups won't eliminate all pain. As a former catcher, that foul tip between the legs hurt like hell even with the cup. Without the cup, I wouldn't have kids now.

Exactly.

And Cups are built to protect most from force coming directly at them from the front. Not from underneath/pulling backwards.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
2 of these instances is more than 99% of the NHL players in this era have had in their careers. Yes, that makes him a dirty player.

I don't think he's looking to injure someone. It's still a gutless move to do.

Yes, two instances in over 500 NHL games played. What a dirty player! :laugh::help::huh::sarcasm:

Your percent is probably just a tad off for guys who have played that many NHL games. Josh Bailey and Nicklas Backstrom are dirty players now because there are a few replays of them doing dumb stuff on occasion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $1,214.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Sweden vs Germany
    Sweden vs Germany