Post-Game Talk: Cup champions vs sorry I don’t follow baseball

Status
Not open for further replies.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Remember when Tortz and The Bus wanted us in R1 last year?

The only thing that matters is the Caps playing at the top of their game when the playoffs get here. We can easily beat anybody, lose to anybody.

There are no patsies in the top 9 of the conference. No one that screams “easy series”. At this point the only reason I really want the Metro is so we can make an exact replica of last year.
This

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
The Canes could absolutely win a series. I think folks are not taking them seriously enough. All of this is speculation and it's the NHL playoffs. Teams that should win lose all the time. The Caps need to beat whoever they draw. I can't get hung up on who I think they are better or worse than. And if Boston beats Tampa, it'll be because the Bruins are a formidable playoff team. Not sure that makes them easier...

The numbers on teams who go to/win Stanley cups and their seeding say, you want to be one of the top seeds and not in the bottom half. The 8th seeded Kings happen, but it’s not the norm. I want the metro. Just my view, I think it’s worth fighting for

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
The numbers on teams who go to/win Stanley cups and their seeding say, you want to be one of the top seeds and not in the bottom half. The 8th seeded Kings happen, but it’s not the norm. I want the metro. Just my view, I think it’s worth fighting for
That's fair. I'm not rooting for the Caps to suddenly take a nap until mid-April. I just don't worry too much about Metro 1 or 2 or even 3.

Reactions: Corby78

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
Remember when Tortz and The Bus wanted us in R1 last year?

The only thing that matters is the Caps playing at the top of their game when the playoffs get here. We can easily beat anybody, lose to anybody.

There are no patsies in the top 9 of the conference. No one that screams “easy series”. At this point the only reason I really want the Metro is so we can make an exact replica of last year.

Montreal and Tampa Bay are not the same series. Sorry but the historical data says it’s better to be winning games in the regular season if you want to win a cup. Is it as important as playing great in the playoffs? No, but it’s a factor and the only thing in our (the teams) power right now. So why not care and do something to help your case later?

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Fine. Look, I get it. Winning the division is nice and feels like an advantage. But it hasn't actually made **** for difference for the Caps over the past four years. They had home ice and choked. They blew their home ice advantage in both R1 and R2 last year and won on the road. And they beat the Bolts and Vegans despite not having home ice.

As far as Carolina goes, they might be an easier out, but then the Caps just find themselves probably playing the Pens next anyway. Or the Islanders win the division and whether they win or lose against the Canes if the Caps were to beat Pitt, without Malkin BTW, in R1, they arguably get an easier out for R2. It's all the same difference in the end, at least to me.

My main point is that there's a set of posters here (not you, necessarily) who've been worried about the the Caps missing playoffs and now god forbid not winning the Metro and all the other things all year, but here we are in Metro first at the end of March. I just don't see much to be upset or anxious about.

And FWIW, the notion of playing Tampa in R1 has some appeal to me. Imagine the pressure on that team in that series... Gotta beat the Caps for revenge. Gotta not choke in the first round. Meanwhile, Caps could play loose knowing everyone expects them to lose, just like last year's ECF. Could be delicicous.

All of that said, I prefer when they win their games, so yeah, Go Caps!

They had home ice advantage v CBJ and Pittsburgh and they won in less than 7.
Yes, my point is that I would rather work my way up than take on the hardest team first. I think the Caps weather the journey better than other teams. Tampa may very likely be harder to beat fresh than with two rounds under their belt. The Bolt choke round is the 3rd round. They cant get past that. That is where the Caps want to play them.

I never thought the Caps would miss the playoffs. I projected them to win the division.

Reactions: calicapsfan

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
That's fair. I'm not rooting for the Caps to suddenly take a nap until mid-April. I just don't worry too much about Metro 1 or 2 or even 3.

One more thing. The Caps as champs carry a different rep and a different swagger into the playoffs than the former choker Caps, who everyone figured they could beat. Slipping from the division lead to the 3 seed in the last few games of the season doesn't do that rep any good. And yes, I think the new champion reputation helps them.

Niskanen not withstanding, I can make a case that the Caps are better than last season and that they scare good teams. Wilson, Vrana, and Connolly with a tuned up Holtby. Finishing strong sets them up right. At this point finishing strong doesn't end them up in the 3 seed. It probably doesn't end them up in the 2 seed either.

Reactions: Corby78

Ovie's Neighbor

Jan 23, 2007
Finishing strong sets them up right. At this point finishing strong doesn't end them up in the 3 seed. It probably doesn't end them up in the 2 seed either.

They are 17-7-2 since the all star break which is a 114 point pace. They are finishing the season strong and I see no reason that they will all of a sudden stop playing well.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
They are 17-7-2 since the all star break which is a 114 point pace. They are finishing the season strong and I see no reason that they will all of a sudden stop playing well.

Right. Suddenly stubbing their toe and losing the division or even 2nd in the division would not qualify as finishing strong. Right? Caps have 6 games left. Going 3 and 3 would leave them 5 and 5 in their final 10. That's not finishing strong. I expect much better than that.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
One thing i noticed, if ovechkin gets 4 more points this year, he will have his most points in a year since 2009-10

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Went to the game today. First time there since the 16-17 season. Think this was the third time in a row we saw the Caps play the Flyers in DC.

Positives:
-Goals by 2 long time Bears and Willy
-Holtbeast activated
-Playoff level Oshie
-Sweep of the Flyers
-Battled back after a rough 2nd period

Negatives:
-$40 for a player T-shirt at the team store (boo Fanatics)
-The two women a few rows down from us who were on their phone switching between Facebook/Twitter/Instagram/Text Messages for the entire game instead of watching
-Ovi passing on the empty net chance
-Most of the 2nd period
-Two terrible refs paired together to work the game
-Sitting in the section where the free pizzas were handed out but watching them run by and give them to the rows behind us

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Went to the game today...
-Sitting in the section where the free pizzas were handed out but watching them run by and give them to the rows behind us

Great post and spot on, notably -Playoff level Oshie

I saw the camera on the pizza giveaway at the 405/6 portal, but they went to your section so i was thinking I was close too, over in 405 Row G, next to the goal light on his helmet guy.

TRASHCAT

Sep 23, 2009
Boulder, CO
I absolutely cannot wrap my head around anyone who feels even the tiniest, tiniest bit of angst after last June. :huh:
There going to defend their title in a month against some very good teams. Even after last year watching them fall out isnt going to be fun. Hopefully theyll go all the way but the odds arent in their favor.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
There going to defend their title in a month against some very good teams. Even after last year watching them fall out isnt going to be fun. Hopefully theyll go all the way but the odds arent in their favor.

I'm not saying it will be fun but it won't be some great (or even little) moment of despair, as it had been for the previous, I don't know, forever number of years prior to 2018. What a fantastic time it will be watching the playoffs knowing the narrative heading into next season won't be "another disappointing season for the Washington Capitals".

While three Cups would be great, they have (finally) accomplished everything I had hoped they would. I seriously am good for the rest of the Ovechkin era.

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Great post and spot on, notably -Playoff level Oshie

I saw the camera on the pizza giveaway at the 405/6 portal, but they went to your section so i was thinking I was close too, over in 405 Row G, next to the goal light on his helmet guy.
I saw that guy when we sat down. The usher was asking him for his picture :laugh:

We were 405 as well but we were on the end right by the entrance to 405/406

Reactions: RandyHolt

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

We know that repeating is unbelievably hard. At present the Caps have defended admirably or better. You know as well as I do that should the Caps not manage to win again there will be a major meltdown here or many doing the doom. Fire Reirden, signing Jensen a mistake, ditch Orlov and Niskanen, let Connolly walk, Kuzy should be traded. You know. For some it will be like last season never happened.

For my part I hope they start with Carolina and I will get to go to the Canes home games.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
I absolutely cannot wrap my head around anyone who feels even the tiniest, tiniest bit of angst after last June. :huh:

Let em have it. For some folks, angst is their natural state of mind, can't change that.

For me, last June erased 44 years of choking dogs nicknames, getting Halak'd, OT losses to the Pens after games we dominated, getting shut out in game 7s, all that crap... just warshed away.

ab8c1c43c8bc6abe1ac625277da9ce6d.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad