Post-Game Talk: Cup champions vs sorry I don’t follow baseball

Status
Not open for further replies.

Portable Mink

Sep 12, 2005
Melbourne, Australia
Just watched the game. Good to win obviously... Ovi is playing poor. Wilson not great possession wise either from what I see. Maybe saving himself but common man.... bear down and get 2.

4thTierSport

Feb 15, 2009
Completely missed that one. Nice to see Connolly and Vrana closing in on 50 pt season. Willy closing in on 40 pt in 60 games and maybe 25 goals.

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
I have no issue with him not taking the shot. I’m pretty sure that A: he knew the game was over and B: he didn’t see a point in injuring SG. If it was one of our guys I would have been very appreciative. Kudos OV.

Edit: If it was Paquette I’d say “fire away!”

Bladerunner

Aug 12, 2009
N VA
I want to see Ovi hit 50 and gets his *8*th RR trophy as much as anybody - maybe more than most.

Agree he should have shot that and I hope it's not b/c some biased media peeps or opposing fans have been saying he's selfish. They've been saying that for most of a decade. We know better and the rest can take a flying leap off a tall building. Point - many of the top scorers have cooled off, Ovi still has a 5G lead. Chance is good he still accomplishes both (50 & RR) :cool:

Spent some time over at the Flyurrrrs GDT. I don't know why a bunch of key board warriors, who like to boost of their Broad St bullies past, have their undies in a bunch over Tom? :cry: He didn't do anything particularly edgy today - except score on them. You know they'd love a player like Wilson on Philly. So much hypocrisy. Must be frustrating to be a consistent meh franchise :snide:

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
But because the game was in hand and didn't really matter anyway, why worry about it?

You have a habit on not caring about anything. And while it’s good to not get overworked over small things, it’s also bad not to work on the small details. Ignoring all the things that need to be worked on will come back to haunt us in the playoffs.

Reactions: Heath

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
You have a habit on not caring about anything. And while it’s good to not get overworked over small things, it’s also bad not to work on the small details. Ignoring all the things that need to be worked on will come back to haunt us in the playoffs.
I care a great deal about how they do in the playoffs. We are not there yet. And I didn't say I don't want them working on things. I said I don't care about seeding. We have no idea what they are or are not working on.

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
Jensen was skating with Carlson, who was forced to play on his off side. I guess there is a handedness issue with Jensen moving up. Ever since Oates I’ve tried to not pay attention to this element of the game, yet here we are.

I care less about seeding and more about the Caps getting their lines and pairings in order before R1G1.

Reactions: calicapsfan

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Jensen was skating with Carlson, who was forced to play on his off side. I guess there is a handedness issue with Jensen moving up.

I care less about seeding and more about the Caps getting their lines and pairings in order before R1G1.
this. with the loss of Kempny and a still-inconsistent 92, they've got some figuring to do.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Saw most of it. Saw Wilson get undercut and Oshie crosschecked in the head. Saw cheap shots taken at Holtby too. Not really happy about that. Really feeling good about the upgrade in the team overall game with the increase in quality of Vrana, Wilson and Connolly. 3 different type players on 3 different lines. Says good things.

I expect that the Djoos situation was somewhat more clarified today. Jensen and Orpik's minutes increased and Djoos dropped.

Holtby, Just Holtby.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

I see we are having this discussion. I care about seeding. Start of business today the Caps were 1 pt ahead of being the 3rd seed and getting no home ice advantage at all. Do we really want to risk getting the Pens in the first round when it could otherwise be Carolina, a team happy to be in at all? What I want is for them to win every game from here til their spot is clinched.

Reactions: Corby78

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
I care a great deal about how they do in the playoffs. We are not there yet. And I didn't say I don't want them working on things. I said I don't care about seeding. We have no idea what they are or are not working on.

I’m sure they are working on stuff, but I disagree seeding doesn’t help. It’s not the only factor, but we have better odds against Montreal with home ice, than against Pitt without. Just like losing a face off doesn’t meant giving up a goal, but the odds are better if we win more face offs than lose

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
I see we are having this discussion. I care about seeding. Start of business today the Caps were 1 pt ahead of being the 3rd seed and getting no home ice advantage at all. Do we really want to risk getting the Pens in the first round when it could otherwise be Carolina, a team happy to be in at all? What I want is for them to win every game from here til their spot is clinched.
I also prefer they win the games. But I do not care about seeding one bit. They had home ice last year and blew it each time. They won on the road. The Canes will upset someone. Pitt is Pitt. Caps will have to go through them eventually. Who cares when?

I’m sure they are working on stuff, but I disagree seeding doesn’t help. It’s not the only factor, but we have better odds against Montreal with home ice, than against Pitt without. Just like losing a face off doesn’t meant giving up a goal, but the odds are better if we win more face offs than lose
So the Caps have better odds of beating Montreal in R1. But they will still have to play Pitt. If they are going to lose to the Pens, what difference does it make if it's in R1 or R2? I mean, unless you own part of Monumental... The Caps have to play and beat good teams. That is all I care about.

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
I also prefer they win the games. But I do not care about seeding one bit. They had home ice last year and blew it each time. They won on the road. The Canes will upset someone. Pitt is Pitt. Caps will have to go through them eventually. Who cares when?

Not if they lose to the isles first. TB could get upset by Boston, why screw around and get the last WC with the feeling we have to beat them eventually?

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Not if they lose to the isles first. TB could get upset by Boston, why screw around and get the last WC with the feeling we have to beat them eventually?
The Canes could absolutely win a series. I think folks are not taking them seriously enough. All of this is speculation and it's the NHL playoffs. Teams that should win lose all the time. The Caps need to beat whoever they draw. I can't get hung up on who I think they are better or worse than. And if Boston beats Tampa, it'll be because the Bruins are a formidable playoff team. Not sure that makes them easier...

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

So the Caps have better odds of beating Montreal in R1. But they will still have to play Pitt. If they are going to lose to the Pens, what difference does it make if it's in R1 or R2? I mean, unless you own part of Monumental... The Caps have to play and beat good teams. That is all I care about.

Well...could be that the first round gets them to a place where winning in the second round is more likely. Its a reason not to lose in the first round. Hell, why not just drop to the wc2 spot and play the Lightning first? Gonna have to play them anyway. Right?

The Caps won ONE game 7 last playoffs. They got the line matchups they wanted in 3 of the first 5 games of that series and physically destroyed Tampa Bay to the point that they could barely lift a fork to feed themselves by game 6. Home games matter.

Edit: Seriously? Carolina are going to win round 1? You are sure?

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Well...could be that the first round gets them to a place where winning in the second round is more likely. Its a reason not to lose in the first round. Hell, why not just drop to the wc2 spot and play the Lightning first? Gonna have to play them anyway. Right?

The Caps won ONE game 7 last playoffs. They got the line matchups they wanted in 3 of the first 5 games of that series and physically destroyed Tampa Bay to the point that they could barely lift a fork to feed themselves by game 6. Home games matter.
Yes. Probably do have to play them anyway. But in either case, I said I want the Caps to win their games. I'm also not convinced as I guess you are that the Canes are an especially easy opponent or that Pitt is a super tough one or that the Isles would be an easy second round out.

And I'm confused by the second graf... Caps did not have home ice over Tampa.

AND EDIT: Winning in the first round always makes winning in the second round more likely. Right?

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
Remember when Tortz and The Bus wanted us in R1 last year?

The only thing that matters is the Caps playing at the top of their game when the playoffs get here. We can easily beat anybody, lose to anybody.

There are no patsies in the top 9 of the conference. No one that screams “easy series”. At this point the only reason I really want the Metro is so we can make an exact replica of last year.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Yes. Probably do have to play them anyway. But in either case, I said I want the Caps to win their games. I'm also not convinced as I guess you are that the Canes are an especially easy opponent or that Pitt is a super tough one or that the Isles would be an easy second round out.

And I'm confused by the second graf... Caps did not have home ice over Tampa.

AND EDIT: Winning in the first round always makes winning in the second round more likely. Right?

1. I would much rather play a team that is happy to just be in the playoffs than experienced champion looking for another notch in their belt.
2. Especially easy and super tough. Over simplification but, ok. I think Carolina would be an easier out than the Penguins. If nothing else, there is no revenge factor at work.
3. My point about Tampa was that the Caps used their home games (3 and 4) to set up their dominance in games 6 and 7. I didn't write that as well as I could have.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Remember when Tortz and The Bus wanted us in R1 last year?

The only thing that matters is the Caps playing at the top of their game when the playoffs get here. We can easily beat anybody, lose to anybody.

There are no patsies in the top 9 of the conference. No one that screams “easy series”. At this point the only reason I really want the Metro is so we can make an exact replica of last year.

Asking to play the Capitals was dumb. Agree no easy series in the playoffs. I hope, though, you are not believing that every opponent is as tough an opponent as the Caps can face. That is just false. They are all good, but they are not all as good as the rest.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
1. I would much rather play a team that is happy to just be in the playoffs than experienced champion looking for another notch in their belt.
2. Especially easy and super tough. Over simplification but, ok. I think Carolina would be an easier out than the Penguins. If nothing else, there is no revenge factor at work.
3. My point about Tampa was that the Caps used their home games (3 and 4) to set up their dominance in games 6 and 7. I didn't write that as well as I could have.
Fine. Look, I get it. Winning the division is nice and feels like an advantage. But it hasn't actually made shit for difference for the Caps over the past four years. They had home ice and choked. They blew their home ice advantage in both R1 and R2 last year and won on the road. And they beat the Tampans and Vegans despite not having home ice.

As far as Carolina goes, they might be an easier out, but then the Caps just find themselves probably playing the Pens next anyway. Or the Islanders win the division and whether they win or lose against the Canes if the Caps were to beat Pitt, without Malkin BTW, in R1, they arguably get an easier out for R2. It's all the same difference in the end, at least to me.

My main point is that there's a set of posters here (not you, necessarily) who've been worried about the the Caps missing playoffs and now god forbid not winning the Metro and all the other things all year, but here we are in Metro first at the end of March. I just don't see much to be upset or anxious about.

And FWIW, the notion of playing Tampa in R1 has some appeal to me. Imagine the pressure on that team in that series... Gotta beat the Caps for revenge. Gotta not choke in the first round. Meanwhile, Caps could play loose knowing everyone expects them to lose, just like last year's ECF. Could be delicicous.

All of that said, I prefer when they win their games, so yeah, Go Caps!

Last edited:
Reactions: kicksavedave
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad