Cryptocurrencies Part II - No more forks for you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Intoewsables

Jul 30, 2009
Toronto
I have a feeling that people are going to buy more VTC right before the halving in anticipation of a price spike, only to sell it off when nothing happens (similar to buy the rumour, sell the news I guess). But yeah, it's hard to say... Could go either way I suppose. Personally, I'm just going to hold on and see what happens.

void

Jan 5, 2006
This btc pump is worrying me a bit. Lots of crypto noobs entering the market hoping to get rich quick and I have a feeling that all hell will break loose once the bubble pops. Hold on to your butts.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
This btc pump is worrying me a bit. Lots of crypto noobs entering the market hoping to get rich quick and I have a feeling that all hell will break loose once the bubble pops. Hold on to your butts.

Yup, it's going up wayyyy too fast. Major correction will come sooner or later and will effect the entire crypto market. Esp with the holidays coming up people will look to make profits soon.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
I'm hoping that the bursting bubble will ruin the reputation of Bitcoin for good, the whole nonsense is getting badly out of hand.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I'm too lazy to read through the entire thread, and I don't actually invest at the moment, but I wanted to when Bitcoin first came out. I guess before I get too heavy into the research because people are off their rockers about this cryptocurrency stuff now...I just wanted to know if anyone thinks that 'Ripple' has a chance of being the currency that succeeds Bitcoin and legitimizes the field so to speak (yes, I read this in a vague article but this stuff has always interested me)?

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
At the current rate Bitcoin will consume more electricity than the entire rest of the world by February 2020.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Bitcoin mining and transactions are constantly getting more efficient so the current rate doesn't really apply to years from now. And if it keeps growing at its current rate it would displace money printing, credit card printing, credit card servers, bank construction...

Shifting to digital from physical things isn't bad for the environment, quite the opposite.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Bitcoin mining and transactions are constantly getting more efficient so the current rate doesn't really apply to years from now. And if it keeps growing at its current rate it would displace money printing, credit card printing, credit card servers, bank construction...

Shifting to digital from physical things isn't bad for the environment, quite the opposite.

Most transaction are digital these days anyways. I am not sold on the idea that governments will actually ever adopt crypto currencies as their national currencies. They prefer to have control of their currency including shifts from interest rates etc.

Also credit card printing/servers has no place in this discussion as people will always be looking for credit.

Do you also seriously thing banks will disappear? People said that over a decade ago as people began banking more online or by phone etc. People still want to go in person and banks often want to meet people in person for things like mortgages, business loans, car loans, etc.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Most transaction are digital these days anyways. I am not sold on the idea that governments will actually ever adopt crypto currencies as their national currencies. They prefer to have control of their currency including shifts from interest rates etc.

Also credit card printing/servers has no place in this discussion as people will always be looking for credit.

Do you also seriously thing banks will disappear? People said that over a decade ago as people began banking more online or by phone etc. People still want to go in person and banks often want to meet people in person for things like mortgages, business loans, car loans, etc.

No I don't think banks will disappear. I do think they'll invest less in new buildings, hence the construction comment. I still enjoyed going to Blockbuster to browse videos in person, but that didn't save it. When the internet comes for your industry, the internet wins.

Governments are creating their own cryptocurrencies, that's how they'll attempt to retain control.

You can already get credit through crypto and I expect that to grow exponentially going forward.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
I'm hoping that the bursting bubble will ruin the reputation of Bitcoin for good, the whole nonsense is getting badly out of hand.

Seems like you're just mad you didn't get in on it when you should have so now you want it to fail so you feel better.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Seems like you're just mad you didn't get in on it when you should have so now you want it to fail so you feel better.

I'm mad because heavily polluting coal power plants have been activated only because of a meaningless internet bubble.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Guy in BC is going all in on the mining aspect. He even made CBC news with his $100,000 investment not in the bitcoins but the equipment to mine them.

Canadian couple invests $100K to build their own bitcoin mining operation

We're approaching full hysteria. People mining today are comically late to the party.

The majority of people buying in now have no idea what they are buying.

It's currently being pumped in anticipation of the futures contracts going online, at which point it will be dumped.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Bitcoin mining: 8.27 terawatt hours per year
Gold mining: 132 terawatt hours per year

No, Bitcoin Won't Boil the Oceans
Don't get your point. You cannot compare the two one is for an actual physical item that is actually used for items like jewelry etc. The article links to an article the is written by Coindesk which is basically a bitcoin magazine.

A better article is this Wired one which points out that a lot of the numbers are made up. Your article does not explain things very well and as an example Wired and depending on who you ask you get estimates that are all over the place.

"According to its Bitcoin Energy Consumption Index, the network of computers that verify bitcoin transactions draw 3.4 Gigawatts (GW) — a single watt is a joule per second, and your laptop probably probably uses about 60W. That 3.4GW adds up to 30.1 terrawatt hours (TWh) per year of energy — that doesn't mean that much energy is used per hour, every hour, but is instead a measurement that equates to the amount of work those 30 terrawatts would do over an hour. In this case, that 30.1TWh is equivalent to the energy used by the entire nation of Morocco annually. "

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Don't get your point. You cannot compare the two one is for an actual physical item that is actually used for items like jewelry etc. The article links to an article the is written by Coindesk which is basically a bitcoin magazine.

A better article is this Wired one which points out that a lot of the numbers are made up. Your article does not explain things very well and as an example Wired and depending on who you ask you get estimates that are all over the place.

"According to its Bitcoin Energy Consumption Index, the network of computers that verify bitcoin transactions draw 3.4 Gigawatts (GW) — a single watt is a joule per second, and your laptop probably probably uses about 60W. That 3.4GW adds up to 30.1 terrawatt hours (TWh) per year of energy — that doesn't mean that much energy is used per hour, every hour, but is instead a measurement that equates to the amount of work those 30 terrawatts would do over an hour. In this case, that 30.1TWh is equivalent to the energy used by the entire nation of Morocco annually. "

A better article is the one that confirms your viewpoint, sure.

Serious faults in Digiconomist's Bitcoin Energy Consumption Index

And ~40% of gold is mined purely for investment purposes as a store of value. That was my point.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad