Cryptocurrencies Part II - No more forks for you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
In an industry where pump and dumps happen daily, people create ICO's and run off with millions of dollars, where projects like Po.et have a $125 million dollar market cap and try to solve a problem that isn't really a problem, a PR snafu from project that has otherwise been outstanding is not a big deal in my opinion.

using pump and dumps coins as a defence for this "PR" mistake is weak. Also I can hardly blame the people that are working on Po.et for that evaluation

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005
What kind of sense would rigging a contest that they voluntarily put on for a 2 WTC profit make
PR. They have employees "win", and never actually pay out. But they still get the PR from having a big contest. I'm not saying that is what happened in this case - I really don't know, and really don't personally care - but it's something that lots of dodgy companies have done in the past, and is one of the big reasons that ethical contests don't let employees win.

Reactions: Kurtz

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
PR. They have employees "win", and never actually pay out. But they still get the PR from having a big contest. I'm not saying that is what happened in this case - I really don't know, and really don't personally care - but it's something that lots of dodgy companies have done in the past, and is one of the big reasons that ethical contests don't let employees win.

We are talking a prize of $50 worth of WTC in this one instance, and if you think the whole thing was faked (it wasn't), then we're talking $10k for a faked contest. What kind of PR would that buy you to offset the risk in orchestrating a stunt like this? Unless you think this is the dumbest company of all-time, or believe the conspiracy theories, then there's zero chance this was an intentional move. Again, they would stand to gain exponentially more by actually putting forth a good product and holding this contest legitimately (and letting that positive word of mouth spread), than they would by faking it. It doesn't make any sense on any level that this was rigged or faked or anything of that nature, and believing that it was is tantamount to believing fake news from your favorite propaganda website.

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005
We are talking a prize of $50 worth of WTC in this one instance, and if you think the whole thing was faked (it wasn't), then we're talking $10k for a faked contest. What kind of PR would that buy you to offset the risk in orchestrating a stunt like this? Unless you think this is the dumbest company of all-time, or believe the conspiracy theories, then there's zero chance this was an intentional move. Again, they would stand to gain exponentially more by actually putting forth a good product and holding this contest legitimately (and letting that positive word of mouth spread), than they would by faking it. It doesn't make any sense on any level that this was rigged or faked or anything of that nature, and believing that it was is tantamount to believing fake news from your favorite propaganda website.
If you read what I said, I specifically said I don't know if that is what happened or not. I'm not invested in this, not remotely - I just gave a simple explanation to a question you asked. The argument that it would have to be the stupidest company of all time though holds no water. Plenty of companies have done equally stupid things with little to gain from it. Besides, all it takes is one stupid person in the chain of command, not a company that is stupid from top to bottom.

You can make good arguments for why it's not LIKELY - and if that is enough to satisfy you that the investment is safe, great - you're the only person you have to satisfy, and if you make good returns, that justifies what you have been saying. But to completely dismiss others concerns as "fake news" like that seems awfully akin to willful ignorance. There absolutely are reasons to be concerned by that kind of behaviour, and it is not something unique that has never happened before, except amongst the "dumbest of all time" companies. Maybe further investigation should alleviate those concerns - seems to me to be more reasonable to point that kind of thing out to people rather than to continue insulting their intelligence.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
If you read what I said, I specifically said I don't know if that is what happened or not. I'm not invested in this, not remotely - I just gave a simple explanation to a question you asked. The argument that it would have to be the stupidest company of all time though holds no water. Plenty of companies have done equally stupid things with little to gain from it. Besides, all it takes is one stupid person in the chain of command, not a company that is stupid from top to bottom.

It's an explanation that doesn't make any logical sense, if you read what I said. And I highly doubt "plenty of companies" have done something on the level of what some people think happened here.

You can make good arguments for why it's not LIKELY - and if that is enough to satisfy you that the investment is safe, great - you're the only person you have to satisfy, and if you make good returns, that justifies what you have been saying. But to completely dismiss others concerns as "fake news" like that seems awfully akin to willful ignorance. There absolutely are reasons to be concerned by that kind of behaviour, and it is not something unique that has never happened before, except amongst the "dumbest of all time" companies. Maybe further investigation should alleviate those concerns - seems to me to be more reasonable to point that kind of thing out to people rather than to continue insulting their intelligence.

Except no, there isn't. With the absence of any evidence that this was an orchestrated event (and keeping in mind where the burden of proof lies), why would you not go with the more likely explanation rather than believing in a conspiracy theory? There is a legitimate concern here: why was an employee -- no matter what level or the possible prize -- allowed to participate in this contest? That's just common sense. There are other legitimate concerns that have nothing to do with this event: why does the website still suck? Can I trust that there will not be a further delay to the genesis block, now slated for Q2? But fears that Walton would rig a small-dollar contest (giving out an asset that THEY control) solely for the PR is so unfounded that it frankly blows my mind that anyone could seriously entertain that thought. But then I remember how 2016 turned out.

You're right though, I don't have to convince anyone but myself. I'm not posting on here to sway the 10 people that read this thread (and probably less that are even interested to read my posts on this topic) in an effort to affect the price, or for my own personal gain. I am of the belief that we're all posting in this thread to help each other find good investments and hopefully all end up as winners at the end of the day. I want all of you to make sound decisions based on facts, and not because of something somebody heard from somewhere on a reddit thread that could contain some amounts of bias. So when I see people repeating things like "RIGGED!" or "damn, how could I ever trust Walton again?" without doing a little bit of actual thinking about what occurred, yeah, I'm probably going to correct that person.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
If you want people to make sound decisions based on facts and have constructive discussion (at least here) then maybe your go-to approach shouldn't be to call everyone idiots, or act so aggressively. It certainly comes off like you're emotionally invested and offended by the idea that someone might not see WTC as some kind of godsend crypto. People are posting their concerns, or showing how other people are reacting on the internet. There are much better and more constructive ways to approach changing peoples' minds or educating them; the way you've been doing it instinctively puts people in a position to dig their heels in and find reasons to disagree with you.

Reactions: Kurtz

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
If you want people to make sound decisions based on facts and have constructive discussion (at least here) then maybe your go-to approach shouldn't be to call everyone idiots, or act so aggressively. It certainly comes off like you're emotionally invested and offended by the idea that someone might not see WTC as some kind of godsend crypto. People are posting their concerns, or showing how other people are reacting on the internet. There are much better and more constructive ways to approach changing peoples' minds or educating them; the way you've been doing it instinctively puts people in a position to dig their heels in and find reasons to disagree with you.

You're free to re-read the post history and find out where I called everyone idiots or acted aggressively as my "go-to". Yeah, maybe I reacted childishly when I was called "emotionally invested", but honestly, I'm not sure treating people who believe in conspiracy theories with kid gloves is the prudent move.

In any event, I'm over this. If you want to liquidate based on some fiction you were told, you probably missed your boat to ride the backlash wave, but you do you. We're back up near $20 and green on the one day. As I said, it wasn't that big of a deal except in the short term because people are largely stupid and panicky.

Last edited:

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
the evidence is someone from wtc joined the contest, won and then tweeted congratulations without using "us" when referring to walton. And they only got caught because it was under the wrong handle

why make it so hard

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
Yeah, I'm still gonna need that evidence of that intentionally fake grassroots effort over the more likely and more plausible explanation we were given. Occam's razor and all that.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
Yeah, I'm still gonna need that evidence of that intentionally fake grassroots effort over the more likely and more plausible explanation we were given. Occam's razor and all that.

This update, which I had seen just supports what I've said (wtc team member joins own giveaway, wins but pretends he's not part of the team). At least they've come out and apologised

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
Or, and hear me out here, it doesn't. Your sole bit of evidence that this is a grand conspiracy where Walton rigged a contest that they voluntarily put on in order for their social media manager to win 2.1 WTC (that they were giving away) and get a little positive PR (something they would get anyway if they did all of this legitimately) is literally the choice of pronoun. Amazing.

This is one of the dumbest f***ing arguments of my life. Okay, you can believe what you want to believe and dump your holdings as it's already rebounding. Watch out for the chemtrails while you're at it.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
Or, and hear me out here, it doesn't. Your sole bit of evidence that this is a grand conspiracy where Walton rigged a contest that they voluntarily put on in order for their social media manager to win 2.1 WTC (that they were giving away) and get a little positive PR (something they would get anyway if they did all of this legitimately) is literally the choice of pronoun. Amazing.

This is one of the dumbest ****ing arguments of my life. Okay, you can believe what you want to believe and dump your holdings as it's already rebounding. Watch out for the chemtrails while you're at it.

That's not my argument at all. Look at my posts on this page, not my original gripe

So you have no problem that WTC members join their own giveaway, win and pretend that they have no involvement, that they're just some random twitter follower? Okay then

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
That's not my argument at all. Look at my posts on this page, not my original gripe

So you have no problem that WTC members join their own giveaway, win and pretend that they have no involvement, that they're just some random twitter follower? Okay then

What's your argument? This?

the evidence is someone from wtc joined the contest, won and then tweeted congratulations without using "us" when referring to walton. And they only got caught because it was under the wrong handle

why make it so hard

Your argument is that they "pretended" to have no involvement. They didn't pretend anything. The low level twitter dude won the contest and forgot to switch to their personal account. That's it. Hanlon's razor now. Come on, man.

And I specifically did say that I thought it was strange and unusual that a WTC member could join their own giveaway since that's usually prohibited, but if there was no rule against it, technically they did nothing wrong.

Fledgemyhedge

Apr 24, 2014
bob

Yeah, not sure what's going on here but the tweet is acting as if he's not associated with the team at all. That's just really weird

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
What's your argument? This?

Your argument is that they "pretended" to have no involvement. They didn't pretend anything.

walton-796x431.png

Look at the cringe tweet again. Those cute emojis says it all, it's so try hard.

It's time to admit that they did pretend to have no involvement. Occam's razor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad