Rumor: Crawford signs extension: 6 years

Cullksinikers

Aug 20, 2009
'Merica
HTB's roster is very reasonable for the most part, but I don't think 19 and 88 each settle for an $8.2M AAV with $2M in cap space remaining. The only reason they'd take an AAV that "low" would be if there was no way the Hawks could keep other pieces. I don't think we'll have to worry about losing Hammer, Toews, or Kane, so all is good in Chicago. This team is built to be a contender for years to come. Great talent in the pipeline, a core with two Cups, and the best general manager in the league at managing the cap. And some of you made fun of him for being an accountant.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
If we let Crawford walk, who should replace him while we are contenders?

Lundqvist won't make it to Free Agency and if he does he will get 8 or more. Dubnyk will hit the market if he sucks and if he is good, why should the Oilers not extend him? Miller, Hiller or Halak left, but they wouldn't come cheap and Crawford has one thing on them... he has proven that he can win a cup with our team.

Crawford looks like he gets underrated a lot. When you play on a good team, it's the team around him. We you play on a crappy team, it's because of the team around him. I just think that a GM and coach that has won the Cup knows what is best.

I know Waite is away, but I didn't like him and don't think he was that good. Maybe the next goalie coach may end up as way better? What this could do to CC?

well, yes.

that's the problem. the reality is our team (down to the prospect level) is deep ... except at goal. if crawford walked at the end of next season we'd have a problem.

let's just assume stan has everything under control.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
I like our goaltending prospects tbh.

Raanta should be ready to become a NHL Backup as soon as January/February. Simpson still looks solid when in game shape and Whitney will be good too. That's with me not being high on Carruth who just knows how to win.

Hawkscap

Jan 22, 2007
Andrew Shaw ($0.578m)

Not a chance in hell. Tack on another $2.5 mil.

Jonathan Toews ($8.200m) / Patrick Kane ($8.200m)

Both make as less than Eric Staal? Tack on $1 mil each.

So another $4.5 mil and you are over the cap.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Sharp goes before Seabrook no doubt, but neither have to go, so it doesn't really matter.

I have the cap going up by just over 4M per in each of the next two seasons, and factoring in reasonable raises for Toews, Kane, Hammer, Saad, Leddy, Morin, etc. prior to the start of the 2015-16 season, here's what I've got:
FORWARDS

Bryan Bickell ($4.000m) / Jonathan Toews ($8.200m) / Patrick Kane ($8.200m)
Patrick Sharp ($5.900m) / Teuvo Teravainen ($0.925m) / Marian Hossa ($5.275m)
Brandon Saad ($3.250m) / Phillip Danault ($0.963m) / Jeremy Morin ($1.500m)
Ben Smith ($1.100m) / Mark McNeill ($1.113m) / Andrew Shaw ($0.578m)
Brandon Bollig ($0.575m) /

DEFENSEMEN

Duncan Keith ($5.538m) / Brent Seabrook ($5.800m)
Niklas Hjalmarsson ($5.250m) / Nick Leddy ($3.800m)
Klas Dahlbeck ($0.767m) / Adam Clendening ($0.950m)
Ryan Stanton ($0.550m) /

GOALTENDERS

Corey Crawford ($6.000m)
Antti Raanta ($0.900m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $73,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $71,134,295; BONUSES: $150,000
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $2,015,705

- Toews and Kane get standard "Franchise Player(s)" raises
- Hammer gets his big deal, likely 5-6 years
- Saad gets his "bridge" contract
- Leddy gets a bump, but likely being on the third pairing again this year hurts his earning potential
- Morin, after a solid rookie season this year, is resigned to a 3M, 2-year deal
- Teravainen, Clendening, Danault, and McNeill all earn spots on the team, while Dahlbeck/Stanton duke it out for the 6th/7th roles (a UFA could be signed as well)
- After his season in the AHL, Chicago signs Raanta to a 1-year, 1-way contract to back up Crawford

And the Hawks still have 2M in cap space. Rip away.

Shaw will make A LOT more than 578k
Our 5/6/7 Defense would be terrible

But it's doable, if the cap does go up.

Nothingman*

I am guessing Johns will be in that bottom pairing instead of one of those. Pirri might be in the mix as well instead of Danault.

Saad getting $3.5 is pretty aggressive and depends on him continuing his development. Might level off but I hope not!

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011

So they'll be making more than Crosby and Malkin? See, I can use that argument both ways.

Andrew Shaw was simply missed. I had to trade/get rid of each player and re-create them with their projected caphits. I missed Shaw.

Hawkscap

Jan 22, 2007
So they'll be making more than Crosby and Malkin? See, I can use that argument both ways.

Andrew Shaw was simply missed. I had to trade/get rid of each player and re-create them with their projected caphits. I missed Shaw.

Yes I think they will get more than two. Cap will be higher than when those two signed. 2 SC > 1 Cup

Malkin is up this year. He will probably set the bar for T&K.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto

Corey Perry is getting 8.625. Kane and Toews aren't taking 8.2

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
Yes I think they will get more than two. Cap will be higher than when those two signed. 2 SC > 1 Cup

Malkin is up this year. He will probably set the bar for T&K.

Malkin was already re-signed. 9.5M per for 8 years. Toews and Kane aren't worth 300K less than Malkin. They simply aren't, and I love both players.

I've said it once, and I'll say it again.. too many people are putting way too much stock into deals that were given to players, where the franchise was EXTREMELY desperate to keep that player, the market gave that player limited earning potential from outside factors (endorsements, etc) and the team itself wasn't anything special. That's why a guy like Rick Nash could get 7.8M from Columbus; how Eric Staal could get 8.25M from Carolina and how Perry/Getzlaf could get 8.25M+ from Anaheim, etc.

Toews and Kane were worth more than those players when they signed their current contracts (in Nash/Staal's case). Why did they sign for less then? Well..

First, Toews and Kane are beloved in the city. The team is very good and locked-in long-term, with a chance to win every year. They're faces of the NHL in Chicago, and have options to make millions extra through endorsements, etc. Why would they want to leave? They aren't going to squabble over 1M or a few 100K.

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
Malkin was already re-signed. 9.5M per for 8 years. Toews and Kane aren't worth 300K less than Malkin. They simply aren't, and I love both players.

I've said it once, and I'll say it again.. too many people are putting way too much stock into deals that were given to players, where the franchise was EXTREMELY desperate to keep that player, the market gave that player limited earning potential from outside factors (endorsements, etc) and the team itself wasn't anything special. That's why a guy like Rick Nash could get 7.8M from Columbus; how Eric Staal could get 8.25M from Carolina and how Perry/Getzlaf could get 8.25M+ from Anaheim, etc.

Toews and Kane were worth more than those players when they signed their current contracts (in Nash/Staal's case). Why did they sign for less then? Well..

First, Toews and Kane are beloved in the city. The team is very good and locked-in long-term, with a chance to win every year. They're faces of the NHL in Chicago, and have options to make millions extra through endorsements, etc. Why would they want to leave? They aren't going to squabble over 1M or a few 100K.

I don't have time to dig everything up (I'm about to leave for work), but aren't you comparing Toews and Kane signing for RFA years to other stars signing for UFA years...or at least a combination of both?

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
I don't have time to dig everything up (I'm about to leave for work), but aren't you comparing Toews and Kane signing for RFA years to other stars signing for UFA years...or at least a combination of both?

Yep. That doesn't change the fact that those contracts were ridiculous overpayments the minute they were signed - especially in Nash and E.Staal's case.

Perry and Getzlaf are 7-7.5M players getting paid 8.65 and 8.25M. Rick Nash, at the time, was a 6.5M player getting paid 7.8M per. Staal was a 6M player getting 8.25M.

Comparing Toews and Kane to those deals is like comparing every good Dman to Campbell's contract.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
Yep. That doesn't change the fact that those contracts were ridiculous overpayments the minute they were signed - especially in Nash and E.Staal's case.

Perry and Getzlaf are 7-7.5M players getting paid 8.65 and 8.25M. Rick Nash, at the time, was a 6.5M player getting paid 7.8M per. Staal was a 6M player getting 8.25M.

Comparing Toews and Kane to those deals is like comparing every good Dman to Campbell's contract.

No, it's not...all the top forwards are getting that kind of money. Parise got 7.6 on a 13 year back diving deal where the first 9 years pay him anywhere from 8 - 12 million.

Giroux is getting 8.275.

Kessel's going to get someone to give him at least 8.

Hell, even Stamkos managed to squeeze 7.5 on a second contract with no UFA years included.

You're completely underestimating what Toews and Kane are going to be paid.

lol, Crawford didn't give any discount. Why would they?

Last edited:

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
No, it's not...all the top forwards are getting that kind of money. Parise got 7.6 on a 13 year back diving deal where the first 9 years pay him anywhere from 8 - 12 million.

Giroux is getting 8.275.

Hell, even Stamkos managed to squeeze 7.5 on a second contract with no UFA years included.

lol, Crawford didn't give any discount. Why would Hjalmarsson?

One contract doesn't become the rule. There are always exceptions. Toews and Kane will be those exceptions. Can't wait for the day they sign.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs

Corey Perry is getting 8.625. Kane and Toews aren't taking 8.2

Teams in lame markets have to pay more to keep their stars. That's how this **** works.

Both will take less than Perry and will be very happy to remain in Chicago, have their numbers retired, and become adored legends for the next several decades...

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010

Giroux is getting 8.275.

Crosby took 8.7 for 10 years when he could have easily gotten 10 years for 10 million or more from someone. Point is, we don't know what will happen. I think it's safe to say all players want to make a lot of money and to play for a team that has a chance to win Cups. Maybe Toews and Kane will be glad to be Chicago sports legends and play on one of the best teams in the league year in and year out? In that case it's not inconceivable they sign for under 8 million since that's still a lot of money. It all depends how important winning and staying in Chicago are to them. My guess is they both like it here but nobody knows for sure until we see what happens.

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
Teams in lame markets have to pay more to keep their stars. That's how this **** works.

Both will take less than Perry and will be very happy to remain in Chicago, have their numbers retired, and become adored legends for the next several decades...

Ding-ding-ding.. We have a winnah!

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
Crosby took 8.7 for 10 years when he could have easily gotten 10 years for 10 million or more from someone. Point is, we don't know what will happen. I think it's safe to say all players want to make a lot of money and to play for a team that has a chance to win Cups. Maybe Toews and Kane will be glad to be Chicago sports legends and play on one of the best teams in the league year in and year out? In that case it's not inconceivable they sign for under 8 million since that's still a lot of money. It all depends how important winning and staying in Chicago are to them. My guess is they both like it here but nobody knows for sure until we see what happens.

Crosby's contract is for 12 years, not 10 - and in the first 6 years, he gets paid anywhere from between 10 to 12 million dollars annually. After that there are 3 years of him getting 9-9.6m, before the contract drops down to 3m. The total value of the contract is almost $105m.

You're also completely mistaken about Crosby's ability to get "10 years for 10 million or more". The maximum contract he could have signed would be for 7 years (with another team) - and given next year's cap, I really doubt many teams would have had the cap space to hand him a massive annual amount. He also would not have been able to get as much up front. To get the money the Pens could pay him over 12 years, he'd have to get a team to give a 7 year contract with an aav of $15m and that simply wasn't going to happen.

The reality is, Crosby had every reason in the world to negotiate last summer, a year early, given the CBA negotiations and got a better deal from the Pens than he probably would have had he been a free agent this summer.

Ding-ding-ding.. We have a winnah!

Except in reality you are wrong - none of the very top players are handing over the big discount you think Kane and Toews will. And there is no reason to think either of them will.

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
Except in reality you are wrong - none of the very top players are handing over the big discount you think Kane and Toews will. And there is no reason to think either of them will.

In reality, there aren't many comparable situations with the new system in place.

Perry and Getzlaf got overpaid. It's that simple. If you believe Toews and Kane deserve to be paid within 500K of Evgeni Malkin, then there's really nothing more to discuss.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad