Rumor: Crawford signs extension: 6 years

hisgirlfriday

Jun 9, 2013
My only reservation with extending Crow like this is us not getting to see him adapt to the new pads first. But even with the money being throw at him now I want to think his Olympic hopes can keep him focused and hungry for this season.

Nothingman*

yeah...sorry i meant 8.5, not 7.5 :laugh:

malkin's new contract will be for 9.5 and Perry is 8.625. so, i'd think they'd both be 8.725-9.

I was getting flamed over and over stating those numbers for Kane and Toews with posters saying they will take a hometown discount. Funny what one contract and reality will do to people's thoughts. They are going ot get paid and I think it will be $8.5 to 9.5.

Cullksinikers

Aug 20, 2009
'Merica
They'll figure out a way to keep at least Toews and Kane. If Hammer must go, they'll get quite the package.

The thing with Crow has always been confidence. I think winning a Cup, getting the trust of everyone, and a new contract will only up his confidence even more than where it was in the SCF. The guy persevered through a tough Game 4 and bounced back with two tremendous games. He's a Stanley Cup-winning netminder that has proven he can get the job done and will get more money when he continues to play well. Good on Stan getting this done early.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
I agree that it's an overpay, but I think that Bowman and Co have earned the benefit of the doubt at least a little bit in regards to roster moves. I highly doubt that they would've signed Crawford to a contract that hurt the team's chance to keep the core intact without having pretty good inside knowledge about how much the cap was likely going to go up and what the other stars were expecting, discount or not.

Gut tells me that Crawford's getting paid too much for too long, but Stan's earned at least some extra rope when it comes to roster moves and cap space as far as I'm concerned. Will be more than glad to angrily point back at this if we lose a star player due to insufficient cap space to retain them, however.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
I can't believe the thread on this on the trade board. So many butthurt Blues and Red Wings fans...their jealously of this team is apparent.

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
I agree that it's an overpay, but I think that Bowman and Co have earned the benefit of the doubt at least a little bit in regards to roster moves. I highly doubt that they would've signed Crawford to a contract that hurt the team's chance to keep the core intact without having pretty good inside knowledge about how much the cap was likely going to go up and what the other stars were expecting, discount or not.

Gut tells me that Crawford's getting paid too much for too long, but Stan's earned at least some extra rope when it comes to roster moves and cap space as far as I'm concerned. Will be more than glad to angrily point back at this if we lose a star player due to insufficient cap space to retain them, however.

I agree with this post for the most part. I don't trust Crawford enough to think he deserves 7 years. I think it's absurd actually. But yeah... the management deserves the benefit of the doubt. They've done a nice job care-taking this core and supplementing the right guys in here or there, so I'll just hope I'm wrong here :laugh:

BronYrAur

Nov 29, 2011
They'll figure out a way to keep at least Toews and Kane. If Hammer must go, they'll get quite the package.

The thing with Crow has always been confidence. I think winning a Cup, getting the trust of everyone, and a new contract will only up his confidence even more than where it was in the SCF. The guy persevered through a tough Game 4 and bounced back with two tremendous games. He's a Stanley Cup-winning netminder that has proven he can get the job done and will get more money when he continues to play well. Good on Stan getting this done early.

If you think this is the secret to goaltender success in the NHL I've got a bridge to sell you.....
:shakehead

....and Hammer is UFA after the upcoming season and the Hawks are obviously not going to be selling him at the deadline this year.

RedBaronIndian

Jul 9, 2010
I agree with this post for the most part. I don't trust Crawford enough to think he deserves 7 years. I think it's absurd actually. But yeah... the management deserves the benefit of the doubt. They've done a nice job care-taking this core and supplementing the right guys in here or there, so I'll just hope I'm wrong here :laugh:

My thoughts as well. Looks like overpay right now but hopefully it works out.

Offtopic, Kind of wonder what Neimi thinks of this contract. It could so easily have been him getting paid instead of Crawford.

zac

Apr 29, 2009
If you think this is the secret to goaltender success in the NHL I've got a bridge to sell you.....
:shakehead

....and Hammer is UFA after the upcoming season and the Hawks are obviously not going to be selling him at the deadline this year.

The only way the Hawks will get anything for Hammer is if they extend him, ensure there is no NMC or NTC, then turn around and trade him after the season. Not only would they have to lie to Hammer in order to get him to agree with that, they will lose a lot of goodwill with current and future players with these kind of tactics. In other words it isn't happening.

We're only a month away from the season and it's quite obvious Hammer isn't going anywhere before it starts. Unless this team woefully underperforms, he's not going anywhere at the deadline either (unless somehow he has an absolutely dreadful season, which even IF we wanted to trade him, who'd want him?).

Regardless of what one thinks of Hammer, the bottom line is he is currently untradeable for a multitude of reasons: he's indispensable, we're contenders, and his contract (lack thereof) ensures a paltry return. If the Hawks were/are dumb enough to trade Hammer they would have and should have done so before now. But they didn't. So either they recognize his value and have other trade bait (Seabrook, Sharp, maybe Oduya) or they are foolishly willing to let him walk. Maybe there's a way around avoiding trading off one of our core players, but with this contract, Toews and Kane extensions, and other contracts (we NEED to lock up Saad and Leddy) I think it's a near certainty someone substantial will get traded in the offseason.

When you factor in performance, reputation, position, age, and contract value, Seabrook and Sharp are the most likely candidates to be traded. I've already discussed Seabrook, but Sharp would fetch us a very nice return. We have plenty of wingers in our system and with TT coming over next year Sharp, while I'd hate to lose him, is dispensable. Sharp and Seabrook are also getting on the wrong side of 30 (defensemen usually have later peaks, but in Seab's case he doesn't use his body well enough near the net to be a legit top pairing defenseman as his skating falls off...which we've seen most of the last 3 plus years). I'd rather be keeping Hammer, Saad, and Leddy with several great to elite years ahead of them than Sharp and Seabrook. I hope our management feels the same way.

Fortyfives

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2011

Offtopic, Kind of wonder what Neimi thinks of this contract. It could so easily have been him getting paid instead of Crawford.

Niemi will probably get another 4-6 year deal for 5+ a year.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010

As long as Niemi maintains his current level of play hell be making as much if not more in two years with the rising cap and what other goalies are getting.

BronYrAur

Nov 29, 2011
The only way the Hawks will get anything for Hammer is if they extend him, ensure there is no NMC or NTC, then turn around and trade him after the season. Not only would they have to lie to Hammer in order to get him to agree with that, they will lose a lot of goodwill with current and future players with these kind of tactics. In other words it isn't happening.

We're only a month away from the season and it's quite obvious Hammer isn't going anywhere before it starts. Unless this team woefully underperforms, he's not going anywhere at the deadline either (unless somehow he has an absolutely dreadful season, which even IF we wanted to trade him, who'd want him?).

Regardless of what one thinks of Hammer, the bottom line is he is currently untradeable for a multitude of reasons: he's indispensable, we're contenders, and his contract (lack thereof) ensures a paltry return. If the Hawks were/are dumb enough to trade Hammer they would have and should have done so before now. But they didn't. So either they recognize his value and have other trade bait (Seabrook, Sharp, maybe Oduya) or they are foolishly willing to let him walk. Maybe there's a way around avoiding trading off one of our core players, but with this contract, Toews and Kane extensions, and other contracts (we NEED to lock up Saad and Leddy) I think it's a near certainty someone substantial will get traded in the offseason.

When you factor in performance, reputation, position, age, and contract value, Seabrook and Sharp are the most likely candidates to be traded. I've already discussed Seabrook, but Sharp would fetch us a very nice return. We have plenty of wingers in our system and with TT coming over next year Sharp, while I'd hate to lose him, is dispensable. Sharp and Seabrook are also getting on the wrong side of 30 (defensemen usually have later peaks, but in Seab's case he doesn't use his body well enough near the net to be a legit top pairing defenseman as his skating falls off...which we've seen most of the last 3 plus years). I'd rather be keeping Hammer, Saad, and Leddy with several great to elite years ahead of them than Sharp and Seabrook. I hope our management feels the same way.

Would much rather trade Seabrook and re-sign Hammer and keep Sharp if he continues to play well.

hawks889

Jul 6, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta,
the contract is bigger than i like, would have prefered only 3 years extension, for 15 mill, all these teams never learn handing out long term deals, how many recent buyouts ala brygalaov, dipietro, Lecavalier, Gomez, before owners learn, They are paying money for nothing, after a few years into there deals, The Canucks would have been able to trade Luongo if he wasnt tied so long, Quite frankly no player in the NHL is worthy of a 7 or 8 year extension, not even Sidney Crosby, as with skill levels diminishing and injuries,

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
^^^
You make it seem like professional athletes don't actively look for long term deals.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
Would much rather trade Seabrook and re-sign Hammer and keep Sharp if he continues to play well.

I want Hammer back...but I actually think I'd get rid of Sharp before Seabrook. While I haven't been in love w/ Seabrook's play all the time, he's not bad value for his cap hit, and I don't think we have the prospect depth to replace him easily.

On top of that, while I like Sharp, I feel that we are in a better position to fill spots at forward than D.

anyway...i don't think it comes to that. i really don't like crawford's contract - just because i liked the hawks' model of being conservative in the cap space they allotted to goal...and i'm worried that this has the potential to be a brutal contract if things go wrong...but with that said, i understand why stan did what he did (and they seem to 'decide' by committee so it can't possibly be all on stan). on top of that, stan is not a stupid guy at all...and doesn't seem to act with reckless abandon (this isn't holmgren we're talking about)...i can't imagine he'd just sign up corey and then realize later that there were other players they were going to have to re-up.

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
Sharp goes before Seabrook no doubt, but neither have to go, so it doesn't really matter.

I have the cap going up by just over 4M per in each of the next two seasons, and factoring in reasonable raises for Toews, Kane, Hammer, Saad, Leddy, Morin, etc. prior to the start of the 2015-16 season, here's what I've got:
FORWARDS

Bryan Bickell ($4.000m) / Jonathan Toews ($8.200m) / Patrick Kane ($8.200m)
Patrick Sharp ($5.900m) / Teuvo Teravainen ($0.925m) / Marian Hossa ($5.275m)
Brandon Saad ($3.250m) / Phillip Danault ($0.963m) / Jeremy Morin ($1.500m)
Ben Smith ($1.100m) / Mark McNeill ($1.113m) / Andrew Shaw ($0.578m)
Brandon Bollig ($0.575m) /

DEFENSEMEN

Duncan Keith ($5.538m) / Brent Seabrook ($5.800m)
Niklas Hjalmarsson ($5.250m) / Nick Leddy ($3.800m)
Klas Dahlbeck ($0.767m) / Adam Clendening ($0.950m)
Ryan Stanton ($0.550m) /

GOALTENDERS

Corey Crawford ($6.000m)
Antti Raanta ($0.900m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $73,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $71,134,295; BONUSES: $150,000
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $2,015,705

- Toews and Kane get standard "Franchise Player(s)" raises
- Hammer gets his big deal, likely 5-6 years
- Saad gets his "bridge" contract
- Leddy gets a bump, but likely being on the third pairing again this year hurts his earning potential
- Morin, after a solid rookie season this year, is resigned to a 3M, 2-year deal
- Teravainen, Clendening, Danault, and McNeill all earn spots on the team, while Dahlbeck/Stanton duke it out for the 6th/7th roles (a UFA could be signed as well)
- After his season in the AHL, Chicago signs Raanta to a 1-year, 1-way contract to back up Crawford

And the Hawks still have 2M in cap space. Rip away.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
If we let Crawford walk, who should replace him while we are contenders?

Lundqvist won't make it to Free Agency and if he does he will get 8 or more. Dubnyk will hit the market if he sucks and if he is good, why should the Oilers not extend him? Miller, Hiller or Halak left, but they wouldn't come cheap and Crawford has one thing on them... he has proven that he can win a cup with our team.

Crawford looks like he gets underrated a lot. When you play on a good team, it's the team around him. We you play on a crappy team, it's because of the team around him. I just think that a GM and coach that has won the Cup knows what is best.

I know Waite is away, but I didn't like him and don't think he was that good. Maybe the next goalie coach may end up as way better? What this could do to CC?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad